Tracklist Hide Credits
- Recorded At – Abbey Road Studios
- Artwork [Sleeve Art, Stickers Art] – George Hardie N.T.A.*
- Bass, Vocals, Synthesizer [Vcs3], Effects [Tape], Lyrics By – Roger Waters
- Design [Sleeve], Photography By – Hipgnosis (2)
- Engineer – Alan Parsons
- Engineer [Assistant] – Peter James
- Keyboards, Vocals, Synthesizer [Vcs3] – Richard Wright
- Mixed By [Supervised] – Chris Thomas
- Percussion, Effects [Tape] – Nick Mason
- Producer, Music By – Pink Floyd
- Vocals, Guitar, Synthesizer [Vcs3] – David Gilmour
- Written-By – Gilmour* (tracks: A2 to A4, B3), Mason* (tracks: A1, A4, B3), Wright* (tracks: A2, A4, A5, B2, B3), Waters* (tracks: A2 to A4, B1, B2, B4, B5)
This is the original form of the release, it has solid light blue prism LP picture labels with silver lettering, later forms have an empty prism. It has a gatefold sleeve, and there are three known variations of the original blue-tinged sleeve - see below. Originally came with 2 posters and 2 stickers.
There are 2 systems for track numbering on the release. The cover lists the titles A1 to B5 (used in this submission). The labels however number the tracks from (a) to (i) so, for example, "Breathe" is listed as "(a)(II)" on the label but "2" on the cover (see images).
The following is a guide to identifying all of the elements that make up the first pressing:
1. The label has a solid light blue prism. Subsequent pressings have a blue glowing inner edge prism with the centre black.
2. 'The Gramophone Co.' text starts at 10 o'clock on label.
3. A2/B2 matrix in deadwax of run out groove.
4. Thick heavyweight vinyl believed by some to be the 'finest' and most true encapsulation of this historical recording as the first pressing was pressed direct from the original masterplate. "These 1st pressings were straight from the masters and nothing even gets close to them today. They play with a deep clear warm clarity and have to be heard to be believed!".
5. There is a distinct bluish tint/tinge in the black ink of the cover.
6. There are three known original sleeve variations. 1. The right front opening of the gatefold cover is sealed with the two sides glued together. 2. The right front opening of the gatefold cover is sealed with a fold over flap that is glued inside the opening. 3. The right front opening of the gatefold cover is not sealed. A known 2/2 matrix, 1 mother, G stamper copy came with (3), an unglued and non-'folded in' sleeve at time of release, which hints at the possibility that very first pressings did not come with glued flaps, which is where the poster and stickers were located.
7. Inner sleeve is a distinctive polythene lined die cut black semi matt paper with white printed text stating 2 patent numbers bottom left [112555/1072844] and 'MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN' bottom right.
8. Posters and stickers were printed on paper stock that has a rough texture (later pressings used paper that was gloss laminated).
9. Stickers have printed backs with diagonal lines across them, and the words 'Fasson' 'FasPrint' and 'Crack-Back'.
10. Very first copies came with a small round sticker white text on black stating 'Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon'.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Stamped Side A): SHVL 804 A-2
- Matrix / Runout (Stamped Side B): SHVL 804 B-2
- Matrix / Runout (Side A: Mother number at 9 o'clock): 1
- Matrix / Runout (Side A: Stamper at 3 o'clock): G
- Matrix / Runout (Side B: Mother number at 9 o'clock): 1
- Matrix / Runout (Side B: Stamper at 3 o'clock): G
Other Versions (5 of 476) View All
|7243 8 29752 4 3||Pink Floyd||The Dark Side Of The Moon (Cass, Album, RM)||EMI United Kingdom||7243 8 29752 4 3||Russia||Unknown||Sell This Version|
|EMZ-82005||Pink Floyd||The Dark Side Of The Moon (LP, Album, Quad)||EMI, Harvest||EMZ-82005||Japan||1974||Sell This Version|
|CDP 7 46001 2||Pink Floyd||The Dark Side Of The Moon (CD, Album)||Harvest||CDP 7 46001 2||Europe||1986||Sell This Version|
|LQEMI 73009, Q4SHVL 804||Pink Floyd||The Dark Side Of The Moon (LP, Album, Quad)||Jugoton, Harvest, EMI||LQEMI 73009, Q4SHVL 804||Yugoslavia||1973||Sell This Version|
|ST-108||Pink Floyd||Dark Side Of The Moon (Cass, Album, Unofficial)||Silver-Ton||ST-108||Poland||Unknown||Sell This Version|