• TIM over 3 years ago

So a day after officisl record store day i noticed some interesting releases.these prices are ridiculous

the cure - faith 180 gram vinyl. $60 - $145

that double up to 5 times as much than it should sale.

just an example.

this limited release nonsense and how people are selling new releases for extraordinary money is becoming a real issue.

maybe its because older vinyl is becoming cheaper?

any thoughts on the cost of new vinyl?
  • tekkno-guy over 3 years ago

I bought used records today! It was buy one get one, so I got $30 for only $15.

I wanted to get the Beyond Magnetic 12" that Metallica put out today and also that Black Keys special edition of El Camino, but I never made it to the record store further in town to get em. It really sucks that any record store can't order those things, just the ones who sign this big dealybob.
  • oneseven over 3 years ago

TIM
    this limited release nonsense and how people are selling new releases for extraordinary money is becoming a real issue.

big time. i dont think ive bought anything in the last 2 years which hasnt been limited to death. 200-300 copies is the norm these days, 500 and the artists are taking a chance.

the real issue is the prices on here of releases which are only a few hours old. comical.

i used to collect echospace [detroit] releases, but about a year ago they started selling them direct to discogs users. ridiculous quantities of 150. not even limiting buyers to 1 copy each and seemed to revel in the fact that some of those buyers were buying to resell on here. pathetic. i havent bought anything theyve released since, put me right off the label.

in todays world of record collecting you really need keep your eye on the ball. i know a lot of people cant stand facebook, but that is where a lot of artists/labels are putting the word out first. ive no idea if everyone else on there is playing farmville, i'm just looking out for new releases.
  • dj_julie over 3 years ago

In the pie chart of reason why they don't sometimes do many copies of a release, a small slice I think comes from artists and labels being haunted from years past of having not sold all the copies of a release. They paid for the large press but only moved half of them for example, leaving the other half gathering dust at home or the studio. Virtually worthless.

• d3rf0ta over 3 years ago

well, count yourself lucky they don't do this with dance/electronic music all the time, a lot of reggae 7" reissues are coming out at £10 - £20 now, on the basis that they're "limited editions", usually 300-500 (but some have been known to press many more, they're never numbered!). I'd imagine it's the same scenario with Northern Soul, though it doesn't interest me, so I'm not sure. To top it all, some of the shabbiest label design and sound quality you can imagine. It's a real shame, quality music being sent down the river by greedy opportunists.

• sherbert over 3 years ago

I thought the original idea behind Record Store Day was to encourage people to support and buy music from independent record shops. Which is a great idea. But now a lot of people are just buying the limited record store day releases and immediately putting them on the internet asking silly money for them. My mate went to Sister Ray records on record store day and he said there was about three too four hundred people queing and a lot of them were just buying limited edition items to sell on. It seems like a good idea gone bad.
  • Jayfive over 3 years ago

Jayfive edited over 3 years ago
    sherbert
    But now a lot of people are just buying the limited record store day releases and immediately putting them on the internet asking silly money for them.

I was in manchester on saturday, a queue clear round the block for Piccadilly Records because they were the ones doing the Limited Edition sales. Other stores just commemorating the day with discounts for their normal stock or whatever were as or less busy than usual.

Meantime I got a haul of second hand vinyl and DVDs in a fraction of the time and a greater overall profit than any of these folks who most likely dont even have turntables queuing up for hours for a Smiths box set or whatever.

sherbert
    It seems like a good idea gone bad.

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?st=&q=%22record+store+day+2012%22

oneseven
    i used to collect echospace [detroit] releases, but about a year ago they started selling them direct to discogs users. ridiculous quantities of 150. not even limiting buyers to 1 copy each and seemed to revel in the fact that some of those buyers were buying to resell on here. pathetic. i havent bought anything theyve released since, put me right off the label.

Yes, they have behaved like a right bunch of tossers. Some of their fans are insufferable too. Shouting down any dissent like the sheep in Animal Farm.
  • m3nn0 over 3 years ago

TIM
    new releases for extraordinary money is becoming a real issue

TRUE!
    I never buy through Discogs or any onther website. So, I don't have this problem. But I see the rise of the releases. But don't bother them. It's just phishing. They're just tying. They would like to get that amount of money for them, but they won't. They'll standing there fora long time.
    Maybe it's time for a list of whole-sellers that come up with these crappy amounts? A sort of blacklist on Discogs? I don't trust the sellers-rating either. But it's sad that sellers are more and more seeing it as a collectors thing instead of a music thing!
  • howardish over 3 years ago

most of the music is on the internet for free anyway
  • m3nn0 over 3 years ago

oneseven
    200-300 copies is the norm these days, 500 and the artists are taking a chance.

I disagree. I see most pressings are a 1000. Below that it is or much lesser known stuff or delibrately obscure stuff. Do you have figures or statistics to back up your conclusion?

if it is a music thing for you, aint much to complain about

(double post)
  • m3nn0 over 3 years ago

sherbert
    I thought the original idea behind Record Store Day was to encourage people to support and buy music from independent record shops. Which is a great idea. But now a lot of people are just buying the limited record store day releases and immediately putting them on the internet asking silly money for them. My mate went to Sister Ray records on record store day and he said there was about three too four hundred people queing and a lot of them were just buying limited edition items to sell on. It seems like a good idea gone bad.

The people I saw were real music nerds. Most limited editions wont show up on eBay or Discogs. But there are people or only think about money during RSD. That has been proven. Fcukers!!!
  • m3nn0 over 3 years ago

d3rf0ta
    a lot of reggae 7" reissues are coming out at £10 - £20 now

Which labels are you talking about?
  • m3nn0 over 3 years ago

My opinion is that new vinyl (limited or not) should stay the same price until it's rarety has been proven over a longer time. A year? But definitely not one day, such as http://www.discogs.com/Arctic-Monkeys-R-U-Mine/release/3553530 $ 95.00 after the day of release!
  • m3nn0 over 3 years ago

The prices and claims highlighted in that article are pretty jaw-dropping.

Quick mention for one of the comments left via facebook:
    "I would encourage anyone who is stupid / rich enough to but from these weasels to give them bad feedback and explain why."

Uh-huh. The worst thing you could do to these scalpers is handing over your money and then leaving bad feedback (which would almost certainly be removed as malicious). Fight the power :S
  • m3nn0 over 3 years ago

I just started word-attacking these a55es here on Discogs. Things gotta be nice again!!
  • hozak over 3 years ago

• moshka-medicine over 3 years ago

TIM
    maybe its because older vinyl is becoming cheaper?

I went to my favorite used store a few weeks ago when i was back in Massachusetts. woman running it said they just dont get as many people selling lps and collections as they used to... their used stock was terrible compared to just a few years ago...

i noticed the same here in finland, with most of the vinyl stores now selling reissues.. very rare is the day when i can pick up some random piece of vinyl, used, for 3-8e.

good example: michael jackson thriller (not something i like or enjoy much but for 50c at a flea market, i couldnt pass it up.. just to hear the synclavier synth in action you know?).. a few months later, it was repressed and for sale for about 50e.. sure an audiophile pressing but ffs.. 100x more money...?

i agree with you all to an extent, but at the end of the day this was created by the record companies. they knew what was going to happen and that's why they charged prices around £20 for an lp. fair game as far as the "scalpers" are concerned

and if people are willing to pay that much.. that's just there own business
  • gmos over 3 years ago

a better idea than exclusive limited store-only releases, how about 5% off all new releases for the day.
  • gmos over 3 years ago

this record store day is an ok idea, I'm all for encouraging music buyers to go back to their local stores. but why do they think that over-priced limited releases with stupid packaging is what's gonna get people back in the stores??
  • djboxmusic over 3 years ago

I just don't understand anyone that would pay way over the odds for a 7" single with 2 tracks on by the likes of Coldplay or Noel Gallagher. They are just getting caught up in the frenzy and probably even thinking that if they pay £30 for a £6.99 single, in 5 years time it will be worth £300. So the buyers who buy from the buyers are probably having the self same thought processes. Self perpetuating greed and madness!

But hey, if that's what turns people on who am I or anyone else to judge?

yeah its a complete manipulation on the labels part. bringing the marketing of dub techno to the masses haha
  • m3nn0 over 3 years ago

http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Jack-White-Sixteen-Saltines-Liquid-Filled-12/60049014?ev=bp_titl

It's up here as well.
    That's when it's not about the quality and charm of vinyl, but about the need to be "special".
  • gmos over 3 years ago

moshka-medicine
    good example: michael jackson thriller (not something i like or enjoy much but for 50c at a flea market, i couldnt pass it up.. just to hear the synclavier synth in action you know?).. a few months later, it was repressed and for sale for about 50e.. sure an audiophile pressing but ffs.. 100x more money...?

I thought it was funny when sellers started bumping up their prices of Thriller after he died. I mean there are MILLIONS of copies of this out there ffs!