• ajtonic over 6 years ago

Specifically wobbly records (but not limited to)... How does it happen? Who's to blame? How many are usually affected? Can we tell these fuckers to send us a new record? Can we tell them to piss off ?!!! I want my money back you shady cunts !!! AAARRRGGG!
  • O.S.Dvil over 6 years ago

Who peed on your t.p.'s?

O.S.Dvil
    Who peed on your t.p.'s?

lol.. i did

so nobody here knows anything about vinyl pressing defects?

I think people here take themselves far too seriously
  • tekkno-guy over 6 years ago

air in the liquid vinyl mix.

recycled vinyl, labels and all.

tekkno-guy
    air in the liquid vinyl mix.

thats interesting.. Care to elaborate at all please?
  • crazyowen over 6 years ago

wobbly?
    bad center hole?
    wrinkled/warped?
    too thin so its not flat (hate that!)?
    chunks of crap INSIDE the vinyl?
    labels stuck off center so theyre over the tune's grooves?

wat?
  • cypherism over 6 years ago

I had a DBX 12 where on one side there was a cm wide stripe with no groove, running from inside to the outside, er.....needle jump frenzy aplenty LOL
  • velocity_kendall over 6 years ago

It's one of the worst defects is 'wobbly vinyl' I'm assuming you mean off centre pressings ?

It seem's to happen a lot these days. So annoying. I've lost count of the amount of records i've bought 'new' that are unplayable because of this.

Seem's to be this generally happens during the heating / cooling process. When both sides are 'stuck together,' they're either not heated / left to cool for the correct amount of time. Pretty sure there is an exact time scale for this process to take place, and some pressing plants either take them off to early or too late, resulting in the side seperation [i.e one side is off centre].

If you have a record that has this, check both sides. Generally it's just one side thats wobbly.

Almost EVERY Echospace record i have suffers from this, rendering them [for me] unplayable, as i really notice the pitch change in the wobble [which as you know gets worse as the stylus gets nearer the centre].

Anyway, my tuppence worth.
  • neurp over 6 years ago

I get loads, its so annoying.
    M-Plant used to be really bad, thin vinyl and warped like fruitbowls, lots of recent Axis have crackled badly.
    too many others to list.
  • G.Monk over 6 years ago

I once bought a record 4 times. All 4 had a lot of noise, but looked all perfect. After the 4th one I gave up...

I also sell a record which skips (normally I never sell these but give them away for free), but I bought this record again in sealed condition, and it skipped at the exact same spot. I tkink it's also the best mix on the complete record, so that really annoys me.

cypherism
    I had a DBX 12 where on one side there was a cm wide stripe with no groove, running from inside to the outside, er.....needle jump frenzy aplenty LOL

ouch ! that one sounds terminal

velocity_kendall
    It's one of the worst defects is 'wobbly vinyl' I'm assuming you mean off centre pressings ?

It seem's to happen a lot these days. So annoying. I've lost count of the amount of records i've bought 'new' that are unplayable because of this.

Seem's to be this generally happens during the heating / cooling process. When both sides are 'stuck together,' they're either not heated / left to cool for the correct amount of time. Pretty sure there is an exact time scale for this process to take place, and some pressing plants either take them off to early or too late, resulting in the side seperation [i.e one side is off centre].

Do you know if this is particular to the batch of pressings or is to do with the metalwork ? ie... Are all of the records pressed during that run going to have this off center wobbliness? Or is it just a fluke that happens to a few out of the run ?
  • velocity_kendall over 6 years ago

i'm assuming you got some records pressed ? . . .is it while labels they sent back that are wobbly, or the whole run ?

no, Ive only helped have one record pressed and it turned out fine, all copies Ive seen out of the 1000 look and sound fine ....

Im just curious Ive got a few wobbly ones that I wouldnt mind buying twice but I want to be sure its not going to be the same story with the next one

ya know what i mean?
  • tekkno-guy over 6 years ago

ajtonic
    Care to elaborate at all please?

Sure, I have a few records where if you look at the pressing there is what looks like a divot right in the middle of the grooves. The grooves are cut over top of the defect, but plays normally.

My theory is that when the vinyl is mixed up in liquid form there are tiny air bubbles that don't escape before it is cooled to make the actual disc. As it solidifies, the air bubble with rise up, thinning out the top of it until it pops leaving the small divot.

Of course, this is a theory, but it is something I have seen on a few of my records. Usually the ones pressed in Detroit.

G.Monk

I also sell a record which skips (normally I never sell these but give them away for free), but I bought this record again in sealed condition, and it skipped at the exact same spot. I tkink it's also the best mix on the complete record, so that really annoys me.

Was this a Trax record or one of them old Chicago records? I can't remember which track it was, but I have a friend who had the same issue with an Armando record...all three copies he bought skipped in the exact same place.
  • cmjritchie over 6 years ago

cmjritchie edited over 6 years ago
    I to have had a few releases with defects, the latest one was a 7" by J Rawls, it has about 45 secs of scratchy white noise in the background, I purchased these directly from a distributor and all 4 copies have the same thing, a little dissapointed as I can't really on sell them, tried to get a refund but the distributor said no go. I've tried to search for info on the release to see if anyone posted anything about it the defect but found nothing, surely if this was a common problem people would post something huh?

What to do? I guess bonus stock for regular customers or stick em in the $5 bin...
  • nickacid over 6 years ago

I've had a lot of records sent to me that have been warped in some way (usually concave/convex or with a 'raised' bit of the record - makes the tone arm go up and down over a bump) I've found that most retailers will sling you another copy if you complain, but have also found that the second copy they send you has the same defect; I can only assume that in travelling for delivery that particular batch of records has been under some pressure/lent against an edge (table leg for e.g.) which has caused the whole lot to warp in the same way... any thoughts/similar experiences?

Have also found that records I thought were defective play through on higher quality headshells/stylus or on a turntable set up properly; I have 2 Mk5G's (bought new by me) and 2 1210's (possibly 3rd/4th hand) all set up correctly for the headshells/stylus I use, and find records that have problems on the older 1210's play through fine on the Mk5's I've cared for religiously... have also had problems playing out where records I know don't have a skip on them will start jumping; *bit* of a ballache but checking the dex are set up properly before playing is definitely worthwhile - you do get looks tho. ('what - my set up isn't right....?') :)

I have seen a new product out there which looks like a rubber ring (10" size?) which sits under your records and helps them grip the turntable better so concave/convex records aren't really flyweight on one side - has anyone tried these? Are they any good?
  • G.Monk over 6 years ago

tekkno-guy
    Was this a Trax record or one of them old Chicago records? I can't remember which track it was, but I have a friend who had the same issue with an Armando record...all three copies he bought skipped in the exact same place.

Return Of The Bass!

Great record in my opinion.