• hozak over 8 years ago

I need to get one of these for my house very soon, but was wondering how many records fit in each space. I couldnt find dimensions for this on their site. I need to figure out how many of these I'm going to need. I can't deal with the 80-90 crates I have laying around my room anymore :) thanks!
  • jape over 8 years ago

About 100 fit into each space (depends on the packaging ofcourse). I've got the 5x5 version so that's about 2500 records in there.
  • djcatfood over 8 years ago

i get 90 odd records in each, so i have room to dig. i have the 4x4. these things could not have been made better for vinyl storgae if they tried. i love mine, will be buying another very soon.
  • hozak over 8 years ago

thanks guys. i wasn't expecting it to hold 90-100 each. ive been putting it off for awhile, but its finally time to reorganize.
  • psymonkey over 8 years ago

The Expedit bookshelves are the shit! I never did get one for records, as I have my own built-in, but got one for my Entertainment center that has a large vacancy in the middle for a TV. I've been amazed by how solid the unit is!
  • derekg over 8 years ago

i have the very handy record boxes from ikea, plain white (or black?) thin mdf/wood, quite simple, 2 handles and room for maybe 50 records. unfortunately these don't seem to fit into the expedit shelves as far as i could tell

do you need to just put the records in individually, rather than having a box which slides into the space?

Can you link to those boxes? I'm curious about them.
  • derekg over 8 years ago

i can't see them on the website, but they are still available in their stores. will look when i get home as there could be a sticker somewhere with the exact name. about 7 pounds each, and maybe 13 inches x 13 inches (that might store more than the 50 records i mentioned?), and probably about 11.5 inches high - perfect vinyl size! they are flat packed and the 4 screws supplied make them pretty sturdy

i really struggled to find good record storage boxes in the uk before that. australia seemed to have specific ones, made from plastic but never seen them here
  • DJCory023 over 8 years ago

It says that the max weight per shelf is 29 lbs on the ikea website. I just weighed 90 records at exactly 40 lbs.

A few of you mentioned that you have and are using them with 90+ per shelf, and it's not breaking?

I'm about to get one of these 5x5 Expedits but I'm worried now.

There are probably no less than 50 oggers using these shelves full to capacity with no problems. I wouldn't worry about it. From a legal standpoint, you should always list max weights on the low-end thus giving yourself a buffer. I've seen the Expedits loaded up and there isn't even a hit of a bow or excess pressure on them.
  • neurp over 8 years ago

do they do one of these at a resonable height to use decks on?
    last time i was there im sure the 4x4 and 5x5 were too tall about 5 & 6 ft they seemed to go down to a 2x4 which was far too low.
  • d3a0n3 over 8 years ago

One tip to gain extra weight allowance is to fix sheets of plywood or similar to the back making it far sturdier.
  • WellRedd over 8 years ago

neurp

Habitat do soemthing I've got my eye on.

http://www.habitat.co.uk/fcp/product/browse/Low-unit/974643

I reckon that with the wheels off (wheels and that amount of weight probably wouldn't be a great idea anyway, especially on my wooden floors), that'd be the right height. I'd need to see it though to be sure it is right for decks and for record storage.

They also do soemthing similar to the Ikea thing at greatly increased cost http://www.habitat.co.uk/fcp/product/browse/Tall-unit/974199

I've just noticed http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70103085 though, hmm.

Obviously, that last link would be turned on it's side.

Wow, that is exactly what I've been looking for! Thanks for the link.

d3a0n3
    One tip to gain extra weight allowance is to fix sheets of plywood or similar to the back making it far sturdier.

Great point; makes total sense
  • hozak over 8 years ago

DJCory023
    It says that the max weight per shelf is 29 lbs on the ikea website. I just weighed 90 records at exactly 40 lbs.

A few of you mentioned that you have and are using them with 90+ per shelf, and it's not breaking?

i had the same concern, thats why i was wondering how many records people were fitting in the spaces.
  • Lostsignol over 8 years ago

jape
    About 100 fit into each space (depends on the packaging ofcourse). I've got the 5x5 version so that's about 2500 records in there.

same here! mine is getting close to full and still very sturdy. definitely recommended.

it comes with braces hozak that you drill into the wall or floor. there are some drawers that you can get for the shelves too that are a nice addition.

Psymonkey's link to the DIY setup with the turntables and mixer on top looks great. Thinking about it. this

My issue is that I have about 900 records... and of course I'd like room for more in the future. The DIY shelves in the above link has room for 720-800 records (8 squares) depending on how tight I'd have it (90-100 per shelf, respectively). It'd be great if there were a slightly larger version of it. I haven't googled yet. Any ideas?

I'd double it up if you have the room. Then you'd have more room on top of the unit for goodies and double the record storage as well. Or you can build that one and get another shelf just like it. I think that setup is sweet, but its a bit too narrow for me as I tend to buy large mixers and like the flexibility of adding a third deck, a laptop, or other equipment.

by the way, hozak, the exact measurement of the interior cubes is 13.25" squared. Don't know the depth.

Actually, on second thought (measurement) that is plenty wide for two decks and a large mixer.

The depth is a little over 15".
  • Bissia over 8 years ago

From there
    This furniture must be secured to the wall with the enclosed anti-topple device.
    Different wall materials require different types of fasteners.

That's a bit of annoying, isn't it?
    When using this do we have to make holes in the wall.
    I have a very similar unit from Ikea, also named expedit (!), maybe 12 year old but the 4 large wood sides are sustained using 4 background metal stems, the rest are short and long wood boards slipping one into the others to finish up the whole furniture. A much better system in my view… or is this newer model still fixed the same way?

a) mine is not fixed to the wall. fully loaded with vinyl (th 4x4) it would take me and the missus putting our full weight into it to puch it over.

b) mine is full, approx 1500 records, without the slightest signs of sagging of coming apart. had it for almost 2 years.

get one. hell, get two, just to motivate you to buy more records.

i think solefald used one in the setup pictured in the link. shows how much schtuff you can fit on top of a 2x4 on it's side. i recall he lifted it up with casters. or my memory is failing me.
  • Zyron over 8 years ago

Great thread!!
  • jape over 8 years ago

psymonkey
    Here you go neurp

Thanks for that link!

My dad built a nice deck stand for me about two years ago, but if I ever need a new one, that would be a very good solution, esp. since I'm in need of more space to store records in! :D
  • MetallicRaver over 8 years ago

I guess fixing to the wall is only needed if you have few weight inside. So it won't fall over if a child climbs up.

A fully loaded Expedit won't probably fall to the side. If it does, it will crash as a whole - and the straps shipped with Ikea racks (if it's the same as for Billy) won't hold this.

The DJ console really looks great - seems as if I need a bigger flat. :-/

I don't think you'd need to secure it to the wall either. Still, the system they provide for doing so is well thought-out and simple to use. If it could prevent a drunken buffoon from knocking my decks to the floor I'd use it ;-)
  • SynthArch over 8 years ago

hozak

DJCory023

i had the same concern, thats why i was wondering how many records people were fitting in the spaces.

I think Bones has a tutorial somewhere and he explains that he drills or somehow attaches a panel of wood to the back of the expedit to fortify it. that would only work if you put it up to a wall, though. And I don't know how well that would help with the weight capacity of each shelf. You could put a peice of 2x4 or a panel in the center of each square that might help as long as you do it from the bottom up.
  • d3a0n3 over 8 years ago

d3a0n3
    posted 1 day ago. ( permalink | ignore user | edit | report )
  • hozak over 8 years ago

hozak edited over 8 years ago
    SynthArch
    I think Bones has a tutorial somewhere and he explains that he drills or somehow attaches a panel of wood to the back of the expedit to fortify it. that would only work if you put it up to a wall, though. And I don't know how well that would help with the weight capacity of each shelf. You could put a peice of 2x4 or a panel in the center of each square that might help as long as you do it from the bottom up.

i saw that on here too, it wasnt bones tho.

http://www.discogs.com/groups/topic/64444
  • SynthArch over 8 years ago

I guess remembered it as bones because his input is pretty ghetto, all caps, and is probably a really functional solution ;)
  • simfonik over 8 years ago

neurp
    last time i was there im sure the 4x4 and 5x5 were too tall about 5 & 6 ft they seemed to go down to a 2x4 which was far too low.

I have my decks on the 2x4 expedit and the height is very comfortable (I'm 6'1").
  • neurp over 8 years ago

what height are they?

good question.

simfonik

I have my decks on the 2x4 expedit and the height is very comfortable (I'm 6'1").

That doesn't make any sense. The 2x4 would put your decks at like 30 inches. Surely you must have something else on top or below the bookshelf to give it at least a Meter height? 30" is even too low for me and I'm 5' 6.537".

Anyway, I'm going to IKEA tomorrow and I'll try to piece together the parts and get some measurements. I'm actually buying a 2x4 in black-brown, but it is for my living room, not for records - until the overflow dictates it must be it anyway ;-)

On second thought, I've got my 2x4 expedit and I can see playing directly on top of it . It would be a litle low but not unreasonable. I wasn't able to get all of the part numbers for the ohter parts in that how-to as I ran out of time.

Just built this one:

shelves

It's unsanded and unpainted ATM. I wanted shelves that could hold 1000 records AND I could play on top of. The Ikea 2x4 would be too short and 4x4 too tall... so I built a 3x4!

I couldn't make the center row's cubes four-across like the top and bottom rows' cubes, unless I were to use dowels, which suck and are tedious IMO. So I made the center row unlike the top and bottom rows so that I can screw the walls of the cubes in. The centermost cube will be used as utility shelves for catridge boxes, headphones, whatever. I used a rear panel as added support (1/4" thick), and I made "feet" along the outer circumference of the bottom, about 2" in width and 1/2" thickness, all the way around the bottom. The cubes are 12 7/8" in width and height, and the depth of everything is 16". A little deeper than I'd like, but they didn't sell anything at Lowe's inbetween 12" and 16" that wasn't expensive, finished panels. So I might attach stoppers on the bases of the rears of each cube to limit the depth to 13" or so. FYI I used 21/32 wood for everything but the rear panel which is 1/4" as I mentioned.

The only downfall is that the total height of the cabinet is 42" which is higher than I'd like for mixing (i'm 6'3") Would be great if it were about 5 inches shorter or so... but it does work well enough!

Me and tools don't mix well and I was able to do this easily in 2 days. If anyone wants the exact specs give a yell.

Nice work Cory. For a guy with tool issues, that is some pretty fucking handy work :-) 42" is torture on short people such as myself, so be sure and keep a box handy for any micro-friends you might have. I'm having to shorten my custom job unfortunately :-(
  • serox over 8 years ago

thanks. some really nice work going on right here! I am trying to build something for my decks at the moment. I am 6'5 so am finding it harder to find anything I can adjust to my height!

psymonkey, I will leave a ladder near by just incase:)
  • andya over 8 years ago

DJCory023
    unless I were to use dowels

i gave up on dowels years ago. think about getting a pocket hole jig for your next project. i've made some nice tables with it (edge gluing, etc.) and the holes can be plugged, nearly invisible.
  • hozak over 8 years ago

i finally made it to ikea this week and picked up 2 of the 5x5 expedits. It cost me $402.00 for both. I had a $25.00 off coupon :)

I wanted to take before and after pics to show what a mess it looked like with falling crates and stacks and stacks of vinyl. But I was in such a rush that I didnt think about it until I almost had all the records out of the room.

But here is what they look like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/drum8bass/Picture136.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/drum8bass/Picture130.jpg

I could really use one more since I still have this mess going on:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/drum8bass/Picture133.jpg

But I just don't have enough wall space right now. I have to try and figure something out.

And since I was taking pics of the room, here's my small studio (that hasn't been used in quite some time and is just gathering dust)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/drum8bass/Picture129.jpg

But I have to say that these shelves are really great. They are easy to put together (each unit took about 35 mins) - I should have bought these YEARS ago and stopped being so cheap. This was the best $400 I've spent in awhile.
  • hozak over 8 years ago

DJCory023
    Just built this one:

shelves

you did a nice job with that!

hozak I'm about to have a good wank over those photos, thanks for sharing :)

Hozak, do you sell those plastic record organizers?
  • hozak over 8 years ago

i actually do have some i want to sell. i was about to list them in the 'spam' section - send me a message and let me know how many you need.

looks good there man. need some wall space? get rid of the crates and put an expedit where they used to reside. switcheroo, as it were. glad you like 'em. they are the best.

:)
  • hozak over 8 years ago

djcatfood
    need some wall space? get rid of the crates and put an expedit where they used to reside.

even if i take out the crates i cant fit the 5x5 unit, there just isnt enough room. and if i try to fit the smaller one, i'll still have records in crates cause they wont all fit. i gotta see what i can do.
  • hozak over 8 years ago

WellRedd
    hozak I'm about to have a good wank over those photos, thanks for sharing :)

:) its so much sexier than a bunch of files in a folder on a computer

Shelves lookin nice, hozak... that's quite a record collection. Also I didn't know you had a little studio setup!
  • andya over 8 years ago

psymonkey
    those plastic record organizers

if you're in the u.s., you can buy these. i've bought 100+ of them and always need more.
  • hozak over 8 years ago

DJCory023
    Shelves lookin nice, hozak... that's quite a record collection. Also I didn't know you had a little studio setup!

thank you :) i thought you knew that, i know we talked about that before. ive had it for years now, but i just havent worked on anything in a very long time.

hozak
    I could really use one more since I still have this mess going on

Those mirrors must be terrible for the sound... mirrors reflect sound almost as well as visuals!
  • spyder909 over 8 years ago

Has anyone ANYWHERE been able to find those stackable milk crates??? In the U.S. they used to have them at Container Store but no one has them anymore and I've looked everywhere. You can still find the smaller ones but you can't stack them and they take up way too much space. I'd be willing to get them from anywhere even if it means paying for currency conversion and shipping.

I would like to eventually get the Ikea style shelves but I'm moving soon so I don't want to do that now.

• mikkelbreiler over 7 years ago

hozak
    I need to get one of these for my house very soon, but was wondering how many records fit in each space. I couldnt find dimensions for this on their site. I need to figure out how many of these I'm going to need. I can't deal with the 80-90 crates I have laying around my room anymore :) thanks!

Each space holds circa 100 records with plastic sleeves.

The big one:
    185x185x39 cmm has 5x5 spaces. Holds circa 2500 records.

The medium one:
    149x149x39 cm, has 4x4 spaces. Holds circa 1600 records.

The small one:
    79x149x39 cm, has 2x4 spaces. Holds circa 800 records.

My collection is mostly 12'' dance singles therefore the width is not the same as albums. But you can count on 80-100 albums if all or most are without plastic sleeves.
    I bought some smooth sleeves that are of another type of plastic, they are still soft and bendable after many years, wheras PVC sleeves are not, they easily get stiff and brittle and also ugly yellowed from sunlight or smoke.
    I buy my sleeves here: www.protected.de I am sure alternatives will be available in other parts of the world.

I have 2 large Expedit shelves with about 5000 records, back to back. And I am looking into fitting a 3rd into my apartment.
    I have a one-room apartment and the two I have now divide the sleeping area and the rest of the living room.

NOTE: If you want to place equipment on it, like amps, tapedecks, turntables and such, then choose the 149x149x39cm size as the big one is too tall to operate anything much.

8-9 album records = 1kg the large shelf is 93 kilos itself, you're looking at placing the shelves where they are to be used *BEFORE* filling them up with 312 kilos of records!

-Mikkel
    mibm@tdcadsl.dk
  • mikkelbreiler over 7 years ago

derekg
    do you need to just put the records in individually, rather than having a box which slides into the space?

You can get boxes in plastic that will fit and also a two-drawer insert in wood.

-Mikkel