• RiP057 over 6 years ago

I ask because im really feeling my new Electribe EMX, but I need a sampler to go with it

For the simple fact that the ESX would go beautifully with the EMX, I kind of am eyeing that one....

However wondering what the group thought
  • AMJacker over 6 years ago

I have a korg ES-1 but it's a little hard to manipulate the samples. Takes forever to trim.
    Also a Yamaha SU-200. I like the functions on that! Automatically snaps any sample to the MIDI time clock. Also the ribbon controller is cool!
    BOSS SP-202 is cheep and easy alternative.
  • vinyl_junkie07 over 6 years ago

Depends on what you are trying to achive/do

I would say Akai MPC-2000XL with a S3200XL or S6000 are your best sampling options (Unless you preffer EMU OS)
  • SeRKeT over 6 years ago

some of the older Emu samplers have better filters on them than the Akia ones IMO but some of the newer hardware samplers are probably less hassle to use, i still have an old Roland DJ 70 from years back, i have kept it as it works great but mainly because it took me so long to make a good sample library with it using the very small screen to trim and then saving samples to the onboard ''floppy drive'' LOL :)

I preffer the EMU sound to Akai but I preffer using Akai's all round..Best filters award for a digital sampler has to go to the Roland S-770 or S-760 simply lush!
    Other wise EMU SP-1200 but thats analogue filters, that thing sounds out of this world...Todd "The God" Terry rinced the fuck out of it during the 90's it ain't just a hip-hop machine ya know lol

The Boss SP-303 is a bit of a classic now too, funky little machine as used by the Panda Bear, he's got two he uses...actually thats it lol two of them and a cheapo mixer.

the Roland S760 seems very cheap on price....
    but it doesnt look too user playable like the MPC
    the Emu is WAY expensive, but is classic? maybe
    I still have my eye on either the ESX or maybe an MPC
    However the roland 760 wouldnt break me.....

• SeRKeT over 6 years ago

SeRKeT
    EMU SP-1200 but thats analogue filters

thats the kind of sampler i was referring to as i prefer them but you are right the Akais are much nicer and easier to get on with
  • cypherism over 6 years ago

vinyl_junkie07
    EMU SP-1200

At first I thought it said EMO, so you could sample your own suicide LOL

vinyl_junkie07
    Unless you preffer EMU OS

that would imply that i have ever seen an emu os... which I havent

Done some more reading and the roland s-760 is the sampler that Dom uses for his legendary beats

that kind of makes me like that one a little more....

vinyl_junkie07 edited over 6 years ago
    I dont know if you will like the Roland's....but you did know u want one with all the bells and wistles right? Thats maxed out ram, fx, CRT screen and yes the mouse lol
    This thing is like a Fairlight!

Check out the 770 http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/images/roland19s770.l.jpg

Much of the early Roni Size stuff came from the 760 > http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may08/articles/ronisize.htm

Honestly what do you want to do with the sampler????
    The MPC CANT!!! do what an S series or roland can, the MPC is a basic one shot drum sampler at best with a great sequencer...the S series is like a fully kitted out synth that uses sampled waveforms, very complex.
    And although the S series can do everything the MPC can do bar the sequencer the MPC is better and quicker for drums/one shots/phrase sampling/looping/time stretching where's in the S-3200XL is a ball ache but you can't do 80-90% of the shit you can in the S series with the MPC....and more to the point with the Korg either.
    I sold my S-3000 in 2003, buying a S-3200XL now heheheh wanted the S-6000 but thats too much.
    I have a MPC-2000XL which is great
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt8xB-Pq_0c&feature=channel_page
    Screw that Korg shit, it will drive you mad with that crappy screen and korg sound lol
    Idealy look into the S-950 lol lovely 12bit sampler for beats, cumbersome to use by todays standards but hey.

I mean time stretching in the MPC is a walk in the park espeacely compared to the S series....which is mega ball ache!! Yeah the S3x gives you more options but it's an A* hole to use.
    The MPC get it done...
    I made a quick how to vid on how to do it...the only thing I forgot to point out is choosing a suitable time stretch algorithm for example Drums High Freq B,Vocals C and so on from the menu...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4471IZae-g&feature=channel_page

it seems that the s-760 is going for about 200 US, and the MPC 2000XL goes from 600 upwards... I dont know... now Im leaning towards the 760...

My main goal is to lay down samples over synthesized beats.. I personally like the way the Korg EMX sounds, you just have to tweak it abit... Its a pretty versatile drum machine
    as far as time stretching the Korg does that well from what I hear.
  • djfrankiebones over 6 years ago

You might be able to find a fully loaded Akai S20 for around $150.
    It's a tiny Desktop sampler which Akai never really did too well with.

If you have an existing Korg Electribe, you can control the S20 using the Korg as the sequencer to trigger up to 16 different samples at once and the Akai has an excellent sound to it.

Only problem is it only has RCA input/out.

http://www.djwerner.com/AKAI_remix_16_gross.jpg

The Akai Remix 16 was an even worse case scenario as far as sales went. But this too is like the S20 when it is fully loaded. (3 minutes of sampling time)

Wow its a rough choice, if Im gonna go with a smaller unit I would think Id go with the sp-404 cause its pretty portable and small. I really just wish they had the ESX at best buy like they have the EMX... not that I got mine there they wanted 600 for it. I just like how the electribe EMX can sit in my lap and be played with, along with the fact that its easily moved.. ie not heavy, the MPCs look extra heavy and/or bulky. What I really need to do is go to several of the MANY MANY pawn shops in Detroit and play! Cause im not throwing more than half a G at something without touching it a little bit

Someone has a s-550 for sale on craigslist around here for 200 maybe I should check it out

Akai S series samplers are worth nothing now days lol
    Get this fully blown out S-3200XL...about 100GPB...yeah thats with EVERYTHING! Remember the 3200XL was a 3000XL on steroids, I have seen S-5000's go for as little as 150 but these are cumborsome studio samplers that are very complex, great if you into that shit but if all you want is a simple sampler you wont like them.
    I got my MPC-2000XL which came loaded with max ram and the 8 outs+digital i/o for 300GPB, I then fitted an internal IDE ZIP250 drive for the costly sum of £5
    Actually I have even seen Z4's go for £170

If you get a 3000 series make sure you get a SCSI card for your PC so you can use MESA thus enabeling you to transfer wav files to it easly, my money is on the S-6000 but thats still pricey...so then the S-5000 which is basicaly the same bar the removable front pannel and polyphony
    I still might get a 3200XL if the guy still has it...price? £80 lol
  • Christopher_Jion over 6 years ago

for a tabletop budget sampler... I'd say et an SP-303. fairly cheap and fun as hell.
  • trojan-banker.exe over 6 years ago

I have a REMIX16, but it is more like a toy. LOL

Others sampler machine I have:
    Roland DJ-70 (I love it)
    Akai REMIX88 (not bad, and easy to use)
    Akai MPC2000 (my favorite one)

djfrankiebones
    http://www.djwerner.com/AKAI_remix_16_gross.jpg

The Akai Remix 16 was an even worse case scenario as far as sales went. But this too is like the S20 when it is fully loaded. (3 minutes of sampling time)

• trojan-banker.exe over 6 years ago

I had a Roland JS30, the worst sampler ever.
    Even as a tool for djs.

EDIT:
    http://i11.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/34/6d/9f1e_1.JPG

Well... If we are claiming, I have a Vestax collection. 7 samplers from when production was in japan.
    Check out the DSG-500. one says "over road" rather then "over load" How funny is that!
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=43323100&albumID=227066&imageID=10106906

no memory. On the fly sampler. Like 1.5 sec. I bought my first one in 1993(?). Still works mint

AMJacker edited over 6 years ago
    djfrankiebones
    If you have an existing Korg Electribe, you can control the S20 using the Korg as the sequencer
    Can't you master/slave damn near any MIDI unit.? or is there extra sequencing in the electribes that I've been missing?
    maybe "control the S20 using" a old yamaha drum machine or something?

Well I just got my Akai S-3200XL...it belonged to this guy http://www.discogs.com/artist/Slacker
    Sold most of his things as he's moving country...inc like 90% of his vinyl colection too! Kept like only 1000

Get this I paid £90 for it!! Bargin me thinks, dont get an S series though if you want quick drum sampler lol it's way complex and best excels at synth duties which is ok cos I use the MPC for drums

Well I just got my Akai S-3200XL...it belonged to this guy http://www.discogs.com/artist/Slacker
    Sold most of his things as he's moving country...inc like 90% of his vinyl colection too! Kept like only 1000

Get this I paid £90 for it!! Bargin me thinks, dont get an S series though if you want quick drum sampler lol it's way complex and best excels at synth duties which is ok cos I use the MPC for drums
  • ultrasound over 6 years ago

vinyl_junkie07

Actually that is about right, and I have heard them go for cheaper :). Hardware samplers' resale value is just through the floor right now [especially for ones which are over ten years old] since software ones are easier to use for complex functions and many of 'em are cheaper.

Some say SW samplers don't sound as good, as you don't get the proprietary filter and A-to-D conversion system that many HW manufacturers have ....]
  • crazyowen over 6 years ago

I just bought a 2nd Yamaha A3000 V2 because theyre so damn cheap now it is a good idea for me to have a 2nd so I can use them together as the mega-A3000 of my dreams haha. I had an RS7000 but the way it organizes and has to load sequences was such a PITA that I would probably get an MPC instead of an RS7000 ever again.
  • Bissia over 6 years ago

Bissia edited over 6 years ago
    I also recommend the Yamaha A3K or 4K or 5K series. ^^^^^
    I have the A3K upgraded to V2, among other things you can aslo use it as an effect box and a synth somehow, note that it has a totally different approach than any Akai (but it can read its files format i think) and most other HW samplers but it's a unique and quite powerful engine.

I wonder also if what djfrankiebones described as using an Electribe as controller to the S20 would also work with the Yamaha of this series…

djfrankiebones
    If you have an existing Korg Electribe, you can control the S20 using the Korg as the sequencer to trigger up to 16 different samples at once and the Akai has an excellent sound to it.

So I just tested it with a Korg ES1 and the A3K but could only trigger up just 1 sample out of a chosen bank, haven't found the
    Electribe way to trigger all samples from it (yet) and not even sequence these… (so maybe it works with specific electribes)
    Note that I never tried to use the Korg ES1 to sequence my A3K…
    If you know the full trick I'm curious, although I consider these Korg's series more as grooveboxes than proper HW sequencers…

Bissia
    So I just tested it with a Korg ES1 and the A3K but could only trigger up just 1 sample out of a chosen bank, haven't found the
    Electribe way to trigger all samples from it (yet) and not even sequence these… (so maybe it works with specific electribes)
    Note that I never tried to use the Korg ES1 to sequence my A3K…
    If you know the full trick I'm curious, although I consider these Korg's series more as grooveboxes than proper HW sequencers…

When I do it with the S-20, I have to manually write the samples
    in the 16 banks of the S-20 and then switch them in real time on the s-20. So I think it will work for you if you do the same on your sampler.

I actually use my SP-1200 strictly as a controller for my samplers.
    I have discs for the SP-1200 which are just patterns which are written to control the samples and the way they trigger. The best ones sound like actual tape edits cause the Sp-1200 is so basic as a sequencer that it maintains this old school feel....

SP-1200 RESPECT!! I love the sound of that unit, do you have an MPC-60 also? I have some 909 samples that were recorded on the 60 originaly and they kick like hell.
  • crazyowen over 6 years ago

909 samples in an MPC60 must be a lot of fun!!!!!!!!

Yes it is but damn the real thing me want lol
    Let's also not forget my obsession with the 808! Here are some 808 beats from my MPC and S-3200XL played along side some Detroit wax.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRJYRSvCZxk&feature=channel_page

All synced manualy so a bit roapy..