• schtel over 7 years ago

Damm!

The last time I used it was about a week ago when I watched a DVD. Thw only thing I've done since then is to travel a few hundred miles with it in a car. Obviously it was in a well protected laptop case.
    When I put a disc in it just spins around, doesn't sound like it should though and I can hear a clicking sound for a short time. the only thing I can think of right now is that it's probably got a piece of crap in it from the ill-designed keyboard area. (I notice the new macBook Pro has had 'normal' keys put in it, like it should have.)

I would like to run a hardware test but you need to put the CD in for that, so that option is not available to me. So I guess I should open it up to see if it needs a clean. Any experience with that? Are all my keys going to come loose and fall out?
    I will probably have to take it somewhere to be fixed and the cost of that will be dearer than buying an external CD/DVD-RW drive.

ANy tips or advice? Things I should be aware of when opening it up?
  • axelasher over 7 years ago

- what macbook pro is it?
    - did you "travel" with a cd/dvd in the drive? it's a no-go btw.
    - tried to reset pram / nvram, yet? in case it's a software based error.
    - checked apple knowledgebase for the error? maybe it's a known problem and/or part of a recall?

axelasher
    - what macbook pro is it?

purchased 2 yrs ago.

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
    axelasher
    did you "travel" with a cd/dvd in the drive? it's a no-go btw.
    no
    axelasher
    pls explain?
    axelasher
    - checked apple knowledgebase for the error? maybe it's a known problem and/or part of a recall?

will do, thx
  • fred.mc over 7 years ago

pram/nvram: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Sounds more like a hardware issue though, I'd try some compressed air - http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1670313&tstart=0 - if that still fails I'd try to borrow an external drive and run the hardware test. I had to have a drive replaced on a two year old imac before, belt on the drive went I think, Apple did it under the extended warranty but I'm guessing you don't have that.

fred.mc
    I'd try some compressed air - http://discussions.apple.com/thread.j...3&tstart=0

This is just the sort of tip I was looking for! I'm think it's just a little bit of 'dirt' in the drive. They sell cans of air Maplins electrical shop don't they?

Many thanks.
  • axelasher over 7 years ago

schtel

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz

haha, just "a old one" or "the new one" (unibody) would have been enough ;)
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-2-Duo/115

schtel

axelasher
    pls explain?

pram/nvram keeps some settings and often is the reason when the mac starts acting weird.
    try it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

compressed air is a good tip.

axelasher
    haha, just "a old one" or "the new one" (unibody) would have been enough ;)

:D

Went to Maplins, big can of compressed air = £10. No small can.
    Went to Radio Parts, small can = £13
    eBay, big can =£6 inc P&P

Opened up the MacBook, very nifty inside. Recommend tiny 'star' shaped screwdrivers. Couldn't remove the DVD/CD drive as there was a very small junction lead coming from it attached to the motherboard. Very tiny junction = approx 3mm. I couldn't remove it without applying some force, and although it read 'push' in very tiny letters, I couldn't figure out how, or which way, to push. So I left the drive still secured.

I gave the whole unit a good spraying with the compressed air, and inside the DVD/CD drive. Tested the drive out, no difference, still not working.

Sealed the MacBook up again, left out some screws, opened it up again! :)

Had a better look at the drive and the surrounding unit and figured that pressure from above had caused the mechanism to stick somehow. The slot where the CD would be placed is slightly indented from the top. Pressure comes from resting the side of my palm on the unit when using the trackpad. Laptop is in constant use, and although I have a wireless mouse, I don't always use it.
    I realized also that pressure came from moving the unit from one room to another whilst the laptop is still on and open. I tend to pick it up from the section where the drive is housed, and I figure that the pressure between my thumb and fingers may have caused the mechanism to stick slightly.

Anyway, this was about a week ago, and opening it up and spraying it didn't fix it. And then just yesterday as I booted up, I could hear the drive making a slightly different noise than before. So I inserted a DVD to test it out. And it now works again! Excellent! Really couldn't afford to have got it repaired or replaced atm. So maybe the spraying did help, or just giving the drive a rest and time to go back to it's original 'shape' was what it needed.

What I will say is that the DVD drive is not protected very well at all. I look forward to getting the new unibody at some point in the future, hoping that the top part of the notebook is solid also, with no flexibility. Or I may consider the MacBook air as it has no DVD drive to go wrong. I'm going to get a new iMac first anyway before I decide on which new notebook I shall require.

Thanks for your help guys! :)
  • psymonkey over 7 years ago

I wouldn't recommend putting any DVD's which you care about in the drive. It may be working now..

I've just realized this problem isn't quite fixed, and I'm thinking it's not the hardware that's faulty. I just tested the following:

DVD - Works fine
    DVD-rw Containing Video)- Works fine
    DVD-rw Containing Data)- Works fine

CD - NOT working
    CDr - NOT working

The CDs get ejected after 10-15 secs or so.

I'm sure that when I found this problem over a couple of weeks ago it was because I couldn't play a DVD. I don't play CDs, unless installing software, so I don't think I spotted the problem when trying to play a CD. I'm sure I was testing the drive with a DVD, which works fine now.

Any ideas on what tests I can do, or re-install drivers etc?
    I have an 'Apple Hardware Test' but it's on CD. :P
  • rile3e over 7 years ago

Mine is erratic too

^ you have the same spec as mine? And same problem?
  • rile3e over 7 years ago

Mine is selective as to what DVD's or CD's it will read. That includes originals!! It makes a clicking noise and rejects either after 10-15seconds of trying to read it. Usually they're data discs as my old man insists on sending me movies as AVI files. Some open.. some don't!

Aye... same spec but I did get a students deal on the 3 years apple care and when I get round to it I'll take it to store although my experience there is that they're not that much kop!
  • jussumen over 7 years ago

All Mac Cd drives are bs- This Mac Mini of mine is already the third in a row that stopped working after a couple years. First it accepts no more DVD's, next mo more CD-Burning and finally no more disc reading. Always the same story
  • sylviothegreat over 6 years ago

@Schtell You of all people should know ....Bad Karma Dude!! dont matter how hard you try
  • rile3e over 6 years ago

sylviothegreat
    Bad Karma Dude!!

PMSL! So true!

Mine is running sweet now after being fixed free of charge! While on the subject of Mac's etc. I'm on my 3rd power pack as this is a common fault also! Seems they're not as superior as they make themselves oot to be! :O
  • simfonik over 6 years ago

I've had my battery replaced, free of charge. My DVD drive is acting up with the clicking noises and chewing up of some discs that put into it.

simfonik
    I've had my battery replaced

That's the next thing I'm waiting on fecking up! RE: power packs.. I just keep the receipt and get a new one each time so I'm never out of pocket. Last time I looked a new battery was about £100!!! :)
  • schtel over 6 years ago

I bought a new battery on eBay about 18months ago for £50. I bought it as a spare as I went traveling, and I've just recently used it as a replacement, as my original one has died. This original one lasted 2 years, is that good or bad? I'm wondering if I should have vented my notebook better.
  • sylviothegreat over 6 years ago

sylviothegreat edited over 6 years ago
    Listen Mac sucks just as PC seriously I love working on them but it costs more and is just as unstable as PC's My one year old Mac Book Pro broke down 3 times .(i do not even start with my old mac OK .First (after 4 months)the whole system needed to be set up again ,this is after installing the Omnisphere VST whooo.All focked up after installing!!. Nobody had answers.. Well ,you stomped !!After that a broken Isight camera resulting in a new display pff yeah this is after 8 months And just now the dvd player crashed But i don not use the Isight camera and neither the DVD player so i got stomped again And now i am without for the third time so in that year i lost my machine 1,5 months because of breakdowns, the only thing i love really ,is that these sneaks from Mac/Apple are well scared of having a bad name ..so they mostly replace and make sure you are somehow allright with it He' I had 14 ipods replaced and about 28 ipod headphones i know the drill It looks good but works like shit Really but he' no viruses ;-)
  • pinkychukkles over 6 years ago

Pah! My DVD/CD drive didn't work out of the box on the late June model 15" unibody macbook pro I bought, just shows, can't rely on nothing nowadays. I tell ya, the world is going to hell in a handcart...

rile3e
    That's the next thing I'm waiting on fecking up!

Just happened. Got that replaced in time before my applecare runs out. Money well spent that was! ;)
  • loukash over 6 years ago

pinkychukkles
    My DVD/CD drive didn't work out of the box
    As far as I know, Matshita is the only supplier for this kind of drives. It's the thinnest one on the market. That means: being so thin, with so many mechanical parts, they are very prone to fail sooner or later. Some sooner. So did mine, out of the box last October (one of the last "old" MBPs with matte display… :). The drive has been of course replaced by my Apple dealer then, but the replacement drive is currently beginning to fail again.

rile3e
    Got that replaced in time before my applecare runs out. Money well spent that was! ;)
    After almost 20 years on Macs, I can tell you that investing in the extended AppleCare warranty (unfortunately) almost always pays, particularly with portables, and particularly under heavy professional use - djing, multitrack recording, graphic design…
    That said, my previous main machine, a 2005 PowerBook, is now still serving us well as my wife's email console and as an EyeTV recorder. It had a couple of issues during the warranty as well, but for most parts caused by an incompetent service guy… (who got fired after he messed up my PB)

cheers

So I bought a spare CD/DVD Superdrive from ebay for near £40 and fitted it into my MacBook Pro. It was very easy, a 30min job. I also fitted a new drive into my friend's MacBook, which took a lot longer and was a little more precarious, but job's done nonetheless. A quote from a Mac dealer was "anything up to £100 for Superdrive + approx £30 to fit."

I also just replaced a noisy (worn out) cooling fan for my MacBook Pro, cost £20.

I've decided also to replace my 120GB HD with a new 500GB HD and increase my 2 GB RAM upto max 3 GB. New 500GB = £75.

loukash
    I can tell you that investing in the extended AppleCare warranty (unfortunately) almost always pays,

I have to disagree with you there, any repairs can be done with ease and I've saved 3 years of Apple Care. See this guy (Apple Technician) for repair/replacement tutorials, he seems to cover everything: http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerbookMedic

schtel
    any repairs can be done with ease

Like, er, replacing a PowerBook G4 display…? ;)
    That's where the Apple-authorized technician - as mentioned above - failed three times and got fired…
    schtel
    I've saved 3 years of Apple Care

Given that a MBP AppleCare costs me roughly what I usually charge for 4 hours of work, I don't think it pays for me trying to fix things myself.

cheers

loukash
    Like, er, replacing a PowerBook G4 display…? ;)

I can't see why not. Obviously there is a procedure to follow, you don't need to be a rocket scientist. I'll admit that when I first opened my MacBook Pro 9 months ago I thought there's no way I can understand all that, everything is so so small. But after watching those vids and following it through step by step I conclude it's very easy. Things always appear difficult when you don't know how, but of course they are easy to the professional. There is a great sense of satisfaction when not having to rely on someone else's expertise to get something fixed.
    But I am also one of those people that likes to be knowledgeable in the areas I am interested in, and I really enjoy the learning process.
    loukash
    I don't think it pays for me trying to fix things myself.

Indeed if money doesn't mean much then it holds no value and you can spend what you like. But for the rest of us peasants... :D

schtel
    I can't see why not. Obviously there is a procedure to follow, you don't need to be a rocket scientist.

Don't know about the Apple Geniuses in the genuine Apple Stores (not available in my area), but apparently the PB G4's display replacement seems to be one of the biggest nightmares of the mortal Apple-certificated service guys…
    schtel
    There is a great sense of satisfaction when not having to rely on someone else's expertise to get something fixed.

After the AppleCare warranty has expired, definitely. :)
    As long as it's still worth the hassle, that is.
    schtel
    But I am also one of those people that likes to be knowledgeable in the areas I am interested in, and I really enjoy the learning process.

So am I and so do I. But personally, here I'm trying to apply one of my favorite Steve Jobs guotes: "People think focus means saying yes to the thing you've got to focus on. But that's not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully."
    And oh boy, there are thousands of good ideas I could be focusing on as well…!
    schtel
    But for the rest of us peasants

Alright alright, I admit that I was a bit exaggerating. Of course I'm not able to apply my regular hour rate all 40 hours a week. In fact, my wife as a librarian generates more yearly income than I do… :D

The main point is that nowadays I'm using the Mac as my main tool to generate income, therefore such a calculation makes sense for me: the time I'd spend on trying to repair my tool is a hypothetical income loss. Whereas when I invenst in an "insurance" (aka AppleCare) and leave the fixing upon others, I can continue to generate income as usual. Provided I have a running backup Mac, which I do of course: the aforementioned PB, as well as an inherited eMac, and a data backup strategy which enables me to synch the Macs very quickly and to continue to work, say, within an hour or two.

In other words: as a self-employed person, my hourly fee also includes a certain amount of extra work and inevitable expenses (like my tools, incl. the AppleCare warranty, ha!) which can't be passed to my clients directly.

cheers

loukash
    PB G4's display replacement seems to be one of the biggest nightmares of the mortal Apple-certificated service guys…

Ah ok, and worth sacking someone for also! So perhaps it is a specialized repair.

This is a great example of how Apple Care is useful to some but not others. :)

schtel
    This is a great example of how Apple Care is useful to some but not others

That's why it's optional, I guess. :)

Ah, the diversity of life is what life is. :)