• Dr.SultanAszazin over 3 years ago

Dr.SultanAszazin edited over 3 years ago
    One of the 1st lists I ever started: http://www.discogs.com/lists/Classical-Composers/396

All additions, corrections & details are welcome, as well as providing portraits s & (basic) information for those who lack them.

Currently is at 748 classical composer, 640 of them are sorted (the other one still lack the needed data, or don't have the data yet entered in the list)

Everybody who has been active as a composer in the classical genre is allowed, also if this is/was only a side activity

Most important is date of birth, and death where appropriate.

1st country listed should be country of birth
    last country listed should be country of death (if dead already), unless the country has been mentioned already
    in between listed countries are other areas of important activity

Other useful information are things like transcription for names in non-latin characters & vice versa, the correct name in originall non-latin characters if the composer is in the db with a latin transcription.

For very unknown names, a relationship with a better known name might be usefull.

Feel free to bomb every composer you know, not yet in the list, in this topic or provide details for the existing ones.
    Or any other suggestion of course...
  • Kater_Murr over 3 years ago

great list I must say, for sure I will take more than one look at it in the future.
    here is one I didn't find: Johann David Heinichen (1683-1729, Germany - more details on his profile)
  • IbLeo over 3 years ago

Impressive work! Here is another one currently missing:
    Daniel Friedrich Rudolph Kuhlau 1786-1832 Germany-Denmark
  • timhorton69 over 3 years ago

Peter Sculthorpe
    Born in Australia 1929 - details on his profile (which has links to wiki and his website).

I know this is a horrible prospect, but could the list be sorted alphabetically? This would be really helpful for people with limited classical knowledge like me (who has made numerous mistakes with classical artists in discogs), and who has never had the faintest idea in which century Giuseppe Verdi was born.
  • Dr.SultanAszazin over 3 years ago

timhorton69
    I know this is a horrible prospect, but could the list be sorted alphabetically? This would be really helpful for people with limited classical knowledge like me (who has made numerous mistakes with classical artists in discogs), and who has never had the faintest idea in which century Giuseppe Verdi was born.

:) No, there really isn't a chance! One has to make a 2nd list for that.

I'll tell what the original main reason was to make this list:
    -Most records mention date of birth/death, which makes it easy to find the correct PAN in this list. (Especially for transcribed names, this helps a lot!) (By now there are lots of ANV's entered, so the search engine also works well for this)
    -By sorting them chronologically, duplicates are easily found once they find their way to this list, and can be provided of a warning or removed at once.

A chronological list is in this case much more satisfying to me than an alphabetical list. It gives a visual representation of which names are to be found in which historical position, and thus which names were influenced by the same kind of world.

Btw, Internaut also has a list with the 50 greatest composers here: http://www.discogs.com/lists/The-50-Greatest-Composers/1571
    They are sorted by popularity I think, not alphabetical, but as there are only 50, it's easy to find the right one using your browsers ctrl+f search function (or another key combination probably for some browsers/systems). This list can probably be a bit more usable for those not really at home in classical music as it doesn't contain loads of obscure names.
    -
    Thanks for the additions all, btw! I knew the list was far from complete, but only rarely found a name to add...