• miamiwax over 3 years ago

Every time I want to see what an item sold for I have to go thru captcha. Is this really necessary?? The characters are confusing and mistyping something makes me wanna punch my screen.

Is this necessary at all?? I could understand having captcha to spammers and bots, but for sales history?
  • dumdidum over 3 years ago

+1
  • harikeo over 3 years ago

I just wish the jumbled words would be made a little more readable.... I use plenty of sites which use Captcha but only Discogs' version causes me a headache.
  • ROBDOLPHIN66 over 3 years ago

They seem unnecessary to me, or as people have said at least use something simpler, there are many better / easier ones around.
  • Djdtl over 3 years ago

If there is no captcha, anyone can easily rip all price history of the last 10 sales on EVERY releases from the database, and therefore work out their revenue.

It will never happen.
  • djdom1uk over 3 years ago

djdom1uk edited over 3 years ago
    Djdtl
    and therefore work out their revenue.

They would get some idea, but certainly not a year on year accurate figure.

Some sales will have been from as long ago as 10 years maybe, and if there have been more than 10 copies sold, the prices of those wouldn't be included.

Quite what anyone could do with a partially correct sales history that might span 10 years I am not sure of?

Unless they took the dates as well as the prices and divided them into separate years, but still there would be the other issue of the 'missing' prices of the 11th, 12th, etc. copies that aren't displayed.

miamiwax
    I have to go thru captcha. Is this really necessary?

Looking at the 'basic' sales history is usually enough for me for checking prices for CD singles.

http://www.discogs.com/sell/history/325677

Tthere is unlikely to be anything to skew the prices with this type of item, unlike say a 4 x CD box-set with a slip-case (for example) which may have been sold as an incomplete item at a lower price:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-The-No-1-Old-Skool-Album/release/855264

Looking at the details sales history an incomplete set sold for £1

http://www.discogs.com/sell/history/855264

The most recent copy sold was a complete Mint (presumably new & sealed) - which sold for £2

I suspect the sales history may have been 'skewed' by the £1 copy, as the only other M/M (sealed) copy is for sale at £5
  • Djdtl over 3 years ago

djdom1uk
    They would get some idea, but certainly not a year on year accurate figure.

Some sales will have been from as long ago as 10 years maybe, and if there have been more than 10 copies sold, the prices of those wouldn't be included.

The most accruate stats you can form from the sales history would be sales from last 1-3 months, there is no way they want to gives that away, Zink Media is called a private limited company for a reason.

Lets focus using a captcha font that is easier to read.
  • mother_adrenaline over 3 years ago

+1 Agreed. Please bin the Captcha in this instance. Or make it slightly easier to read rather than requiring wild hopeful guessing. Discogs has some of the most un-readable -eff off with your pot kettles :)- captcha i have ever seen. Aging eyes have hard enough time as it is. My mobile texts on extra-large and i'm still squinting and moving the screen towards and away from my blindy eyes.

Djdtl
    Lets focus using a captcha font that is easier to read.

Yes, I would agree it isn't the easiest one I have used.

I don't find it a problem myself, but obviously others do so it would be a good idea to try another one (or the same one with easier to read characters) :0)
  • Euro_Addict over 3 years ago

Ha thought it was just me - type in what I think it is and then hold my breath and hope I proceed to the next screen lol. I'm happy for it to stay but please make it readable.
  • AndysWax over 3 years ago

"Is captcha really necessary when looking up sales history??"

It's brutal and I have asked myself the same question in my head 500x. I'm still not clear why the sales history should be guarded so closely.
  • jonas1 over 3 years ago

AndysWax
    I'm still not clear why the sales history should be guarded so closely.

The information represents a value, if it were to easy to get the information it could be used by some other company. Now although the info is free it would be very timeconsuming to get it from millions of records.....
  • Djdtl over 3 years ago

jonas1
    The information represents a value, if it were to easy to get the information it could be used by some other company.

I probably know about less than 5% of the titles that I sell on my shop, without the price history that allows me to price accordingly, I would never have made so many sales.
  • PabloPlato over 3 years ago

the captcha we had before was far better - remember? it was around 6 random characters the danced about in a box. far better than the 2 smudged xeroxed words with overlapping letters system that we have at the moment.

PabloPlato

the captcha we had before was far better

absolutely! but i bet it was also much easier to solve for machines.

EDIT: i guess another compromise might be to give every day a certain number of captcha-free price histories per user and/or per IP address.
  • LaCargo over 3 years ago

change captcha's into logos to describe, example: picture of Nestle, Bacardi, Nike, Adidas. No Computer can easily read an image if he cant read fragments of sentences.
  • andygrayrecords over 3 years ago

Would be more in line with the site if the images were label or band logos ;)

djdom1uk edited over 3 years ago
    LaCargo
    change captcha's into logos to describe, example: picture of Nestle, Bacardi, Nike, Adidas.

I am not sure if brand logos could be used without permission.

Maybe pictures of something 'common' like fruit or vegetables, there wouldn't be any issues with using something like that.

Except perhaps if the fruits were exotic, and you weren't sure what they were called :0)

http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/photos/15-fruits-youve-probably-never-heard-of
  • SeRKeT over 3 years ago

agreed here, the captcha is ridiculous, too hard to read most of the time so it takes sometimes 5 attempts to see the info hidden by the captcha, a better font (not italic or similar) and some space between each letter would be a great improvement

LaCargo

change captcha's into logos to describe, example: picture of Nestle, Bacardi, Nike, Adidas. No Computer can easily read an image if he cant read fragments of sentences.

i seriously doubt discogs has the resources to develop its own captcha in-house haha.

The worst captcha is where half or as much as 90% of the word is not even visible, it's cut off/outside the captcha box; never mind unreadable, you can't even blinkin see it to make a vague guess! And are trying to guess from a tiny curve that it could be a A or a C or and O or pretty much 80% of the alphabet... Aaargh! Instead of Captcha;
    Why don't you just have "Where's Wally?" box With a grid. He's in "3G"... Bah!!
  • ruckus over 3 years ago

You only need to enter correctly one of the two words (the one transformed). For the other just enter something random and it usually works. They are not able to tell if that word is correct or not. If you type that word you are just helping them digitalizing books and making money (not discogs captcha.net).

Interesting video about captcha
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ht4qiDRZE8

Yes actually thinking about it, I have a found a few times that the half hidden word wasn't even required!
    Wait... So us punching screens and chucking phones across the room, is actually us doing work very-very slowly for somebody else, for free? Rather than protecting us from evil computers? Oh that is the pinnacle of cynical, but i bet absolutely flippin true too!
  • forwardbound over 3 years ago

I agree with the OP. What is the point?
  • sxinn over 3 years ago

Couldn't you just make the captcha disappear for registered users with normal site activity/traffic?

I just sent a couple of messages, the text seems to be quite readable, don't know if it has changed at all, or just a coincidence...!
  • Naomis_bargains over 3 years ago

If there really *must* be a captcha, at least make it readable.
    Some sites have, for example, a simple maths problem.
  • xmoneypulationx over 3 years ago

djdom1uk
    text seems to be quite readable

Yes, looks like it has changed.
  • giblets over 3 years ago

Maybe I'm slow but I still find them much too difficult, usually takes me about 3 trys before it works
  • harikeo over 3 years ago

djdom1uk
    I just sent a couple of messages, the text seems to be quite readable, don't know if it has changed at all, or just a coincidence...!

the last couple of times I've used Captcha on Discogs it does appear to be easier to read so maybe something has changed but staff haven't said anything....I don't seem to get the unreadable words with overlapping characters anymore.