Tracklist Hide Credits
Written-By – Otis Redding
|A2||Love The One You're With
Written-By – Stephen Stills
|A3||Bridge Over Troubled Water
Written-By – Paul Simon
Written-By – John Lennon & Paul McCartney*
|A5||Make It With You
Arranged By [Horns] – Larry WilcoxWritten-By – David Gates
|A6||Don't Play That Song
Arranged By [Horns] – Tom DowdWritten-By – Ahmet Ertegun, Betty Nelson
Written-By – Aretha Franklin, Ted White
|B2||Spirit In The Dark
Written-By – Aretha Franklin
|B3||Spirit In The Dark (Reprise With Ray Charles)
Written-By – Aretha Franklin
|B4||Reach Out And Touch (Somebody's Hand)
Written-By – Nickolas Ashford & Valerie Simpson*
- Copyright (c) – Atlantic Recording Corporation
- Recorded At – Fillmore West
- Designed At – Camouflage Productions
- Mastered At – Atlantic Studios
- Record Company – Atlantic Recording Corporation
- Published By – East/Memphis
- Published By – Time (9)
- Published By – Redwal
- Published By – Goldhill
- Published By – Charing Cross
- Published By – Maclen
- Published By – Screen Gems-Columbia
- Published By – Progressive (3)
- Published By – 14th Hour
- Published By – Pronto (2)
- Published By – Pundit
- Published By – Jobete
- Arranged By [Horns] – Arif Mardin (tracks: A1 to A4, B1 to B4)
- Backing Band – The Memphis Horns
- Backing Vocals – Brenda Bryant, Margaret Branch, Pat Smith, The Sweethearts Of Soul
- Baritone Saxophone – Jimmy Mitchell*
- Congas [Conga Drums] – Pancho Morales
- Design [Album Design] – Tom Wilkes (2)
- Drums – Bernard Purdie
- Electric Bass – Jerry Jemmott
- Electric Piano – Aretha Franklin (tracks: A4, A6, B1 to B3), Truman Thomas (tracks: A1 to A3, A5, B4)
- Electric Piano, Vocals – Ray Charles (tracks: B3)
- Engineer [Re-mix Engineer] – Arif Mardin
- Engineer [Recording Engineer] – Ray Thompson
- Guitar – Cornell Dupree
- Mastered By – GP*
- Mixed By – Arif Mardin
- Organ – Billy Preston
- Photography By – Jim Marshall (3)
- Producer – Arif Mardin, Jerry Wexler
- Recorded By – Ray Thompson
- Rhythm Section – Billy Preston, The Kingpins*
- Tenor Saxophone – Lou Collins*
- Tenor Saxophone, Leader [The Memphis Horns] – Andrew Love
- Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone, Soloist, Leader [Orchestra] – King Curtis
- Trombone – Jack Hale*
- Trumpet – Roger Hopps
- Trumpet, Leader [The Memphis Horns] – Wayne Jackson
- Vocals – Aretha Franklin
Issued with 12x12" black-and-white single-sided cut sheet of Aretha and Ray Charles.
ARETHA FRANKLIN: vocals & electric piano (on Eleanor Rigby, Don't Play That Song, Dr. Feelgood, & Spirit In The Dark).
RAY CHARLES: vocals & electric piano on Spirit In The Dark (replacing Aretha after she says,"Would you play just a little bit for us?").
KING CURTIS: tenor & soprano saxophone solos and leader of orchestra.
The rhythm section consists of Billy Preston, organ and The Kingpins including: Cornell Dupree, guitar; Jerry Jemmot, electric bass; Bernard Purdie, drums; Pancho Morales, conga drums; & Truman Thomas, electric piano (on Respect, Love The One You're With, Make It With You, Bridge Over Troubled Water & Reach Out And Touch.
The above are backed by The Memphis Horns led by Wayne Jackson, trumpet and Andrew Love, tenor sax and including Roger Hopps, trumpet; Jack Hale, trombone; Jimmy Mitchell, baritone sax; & Lou Collins, tenor sax.
The background vocals are by The Sweethearts Of Soul consisting of: Brenda Bryant, Margaret Branch & Pat Smith.
All the horn arrangements are by Arif Mardin, with the exception of Make It With You which was arranged by Larry Wilcox, and Don't Play That Song, which was arranged by Tom Dowd.
Recorded at Fillmore West, San Francisco / Recording engineer: Ray Thompson / Re-Mix engineer: Arif Mardin / Photography: Jim Marshall / Album design: Tom Wilkes for Camouflage Productions.
PRODUCED BY JERRY WEXLER & ARIF MARDIN
Special thanks to Bill Graham and the staff of Fillmore West, San Francisco, to Wally Heider and his recording staff, and to Karin Green.
Ray Charles appears courtesy of Tangerine Records and ABC / Dunhill Records. Billy Preston appears courtesy of Capitol Records.
There is a slight low-frequency electronic buzz on Dr. Feelgood. It occurred during the original live recording, and could not be eliminated when this album was edited.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Rights Society: BMI
Other Versions (5 of 59) View All
|SD 7205||Aretha Franklin||Live At Fillmore West (LP, Album, Pre)||Atlantic||SD 7205||US||1971||Sell This Version|
|2400 136||Aretha Franklin||Live At Fillmore West (LP, Album, Gat)||Atlantic||2400 136||Greece||1971||Sell This Version|
|ALM 87205||Aretha Franklin||Live At Fillmore West (8-Trk, Album)||Atlantic||ALM 87205||US||1971||Sell This Version|
|M 57205||Aretha Franklin||Live At Filmore West (Cass, Album, Sna)||Atlantic||M 57205||US||1971||Sell This Version|
|840 008||Aretha Franklin||Live At Fillmore West (LP, Album, Gat)||Atlantic||840 008||France||1971||Sell This Version|