Tracklist Hide Credits
|A2||No More Apartheid
Featuring – Peter Gabriel, Shankar
Compiled By, Edited By – Keith LeBlanc, The News Dissector
|B1||Sun City (Version II)||5:42|
|B2||Let Me See Your I.D.
Featuring – Duke Bootee, Gil Scott-Heron, Grandmaster Melle Mel, Malopoets, Miles Davis, Peter Garrett, Peter Wolf, Ray Barretto, Sonny Okosuns*
|B3||The Struggle Continues
Featuring – Tony Williams*, Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Richard Scher, Ron Carter, Sonny Okosuns*, Stanley Jordan
|B4||Silver & Gold||4:34|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Manhattan Records
- Copyright (c) – Manhattan Records
- Marketed By – EMI
- Distributed By – EMI
- Manufactured By – EMI
- Printed By – EMI Services Benelux B.V.
- Mastered At – Masterdisk
- Recorded At – Shakedown Sound Studios
- Recorded At – The Hit Factory
- Recorded At – Electric Lady Studios
- Recorded At – M&I Recording Studios
- Recorded At – Unique Recording
- Recorded At – Right Track Recording
- Recorded At – Soundworks, New York
- Recorded At – Power Station
- Recorded At – Fallout Shelter
- Recorded At – The Outpost
- Recorded At – Windmill Lane Studios
- Recorded At – Cherokee Studios
- Recorded At – Syncro Sound
- Recorded At – Eel Pie Studios
- Recorded At – Startling Studios
- Administrator [Logistics Extraordinaire], Producer [Production Assistance] – Zoe Yanakis
- Art Direction – Rosemary Intrieri
- Backing Vocals [Additional Background Vocals] – Annie Brody Dutka, Daryl Hannah, Kevin Mccormick, The Dunnes Stores Strikers
- Backing Vocals [And The I.D.3] – Gil Scott-Heron, Robbie Gordon (tracks: Robert Gordon), Steve Walker (2)
- Backing Vocals [Background Vocals By (BLT)] – B.J. Nelson, Lottie Golden, Tina B
- Bass [Accoustic] – Ron Carter
- Bass Guitar – Doug Wimbish
- Congas – Ray Barretto
- Coordinator [Sun City Project] – Arthur Baker, Danny Schechter, Little Steven, Owen Epstein, Rick Dutka
- Cover, Design, Artwork – Tony Wright
- Drum Programming – Benjamin Newberry, Keith Le Blanc*, Little Steven
- Drums – Tony Williams*, Keith Le Blanc*, Ringo Starr, Zak Starkey
- Engineer – Andy Wallace, Bill Price, Bobby Cohen, Chris Lord-Alge, Gary Wright (3), George Tutko, James Geddes, Jeff Hendrickson, John Davenport (2), Michael Smith (2), Mike O'Donnell, Pat McCarthy, Peter Darmi, Rob Paustin*, Roey Shamir, Steve Kahn (2), Steve Peck, Tom Lord-Alge
- Engineer [Assistant] – Alan Friedman, Barbara Milne, Bridget Daly, Chris Lunwinski*, David Sussman, Jamie Chaleff, Ken Collins, Ken Steiger, Kevin Maloney, Lenny Bernstein, Mark Russack*, Mike Nicoletti, Michael Weber*, Rob Rushing, Scott Church, Stephen Scharrott, Steve Antebi, Steve Boyer, Tony Viamontes
- Featuring – Afrika Bambaataa, Tony Williams*, Big Youth, Bob Dylan, Bob Geldof, Bobby Womack, Bonnie Raitt, Bono, Bruce Springsteen, Clarence Clemons, Darlene Love, Daryl Hall, David Ruffin, Duke Bootee, Eddie Kendrick*, The Fat Boys*, George Clinton, Gil Scott-Heron, Grandmaster Melle Mel, Herbie Hancock, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Cliff, Joey Ramone, John Oates, Kashif, Kurtis Blow, Linton Kwesi Johnson, Little Steven, Lou Reed, Malopoets, Michael Monroe, Miles Davis, Nona Hendryx, Pat Benatar, Pete Townshend, Peter Gabriel, Peter Garrett, Peter Wolf, Ray Barretto, Ringo Starr, Ron Carter, Ruben Blades, Run-DMC, Scorpio (3), Shankar, Sonny Okosuns*, Stanley Jordan, Stiv Bator*, Tina B, Via Afrika, Will Downing, Zak Starkey
- Guitar – Little Steven, Pete Townshend, Stanley Jordan
- Keyboards – Herbie Hancock, Richard Scher, Robbie Kilgore
- Keyboards [Additional] – Zoe Yanakis
- Liner Notes – Little Steven
- Mastered By – Bob Ludwig
- Mixed By – Chris Lord-Alge, Frank Filipetti, Jay Burnett, John Davenport (2), Peter Darmi, Tom Lord-Alge
- Photography By – Barbara Bach, Cathe Ishino, Chase Roe, Chris Steele, David Seelig, Joby Corney, Jonathan Ashby, Kristen Stetler, Lisa Podgur, Loren Haynes, Neil Winoker, Shelley Ross, Stephen Goldstein (2)
- Producer – Arthur Baker, Little Steven
- Producer [Additional Production Assistance] – Chris Lord-Alge (tracks: A2), Keith Le Blanc* (tracks: A3), Robbie Kilgore (tracks: A2), Tom Lord-Alge (tracks: A2)
- Saxophone – Clarence Clemons
- Scratches – DJ. Cheese*, Jam Master Jay
- Talking Drum – Sonny Okosuns*
- Technician [Equipment And Guitar Maintenance] – Benjamin Newberry
- Trumpet – Miles Davis
- Violin [Double] – Shankar
[MC logo] 1C 264 24 0467 4 XDR
The artist royalties from this record are going to The Africa Fund, a charitable trust based in New York City and registered with the United Nations. The income will benefit political prisoners and their families in South Africa, educational and cultural needs of South African exiles, and educational work of anti-apartheid groups in the United States.
Additional tax-deductible contributions to further these projects may be sent to:
The Africa Fund
New York, NY 10038
© ℗1985 Manhattan Records, a division of Capitol Records, Inc.
Marketed, manufactured and distributed by [EMI logo]
Printed in Holland by EMI Services Benelux B.V.,Uden.
Made in EEC.
Printed inner sleeve:
LET ME SEE YOUR I.D. features Gil Scott-Heron, Miles Davis, Grandmaster Melle Mel, Peter Wolf, Sonny Okosuns, Malopoets, Duke Bootee, Ray Barretto and Peter Garrett.
NO MORE APARTHEID features Peter Gabriel & Shankar.
REVOLUTIONARY SITUATION compiled and edited by Keith Le Blanc and The News Dissector.
THE STRUGGLE CONTINUES features Miles Davis, Stanley Jordan, Herbie Hancock, Sonny Okosuns, Ron Carter, Tony Williams and Richard Scher.
Special thanks to Bob Clearmountain
Special thanks to Eddie and Troy Germano.
Special thanks to Hal and Alan Selby.
Special thanks to Charles Benanty.
Special thanks to Bob Walters & Tony Bongiovi.
Special thanks to Steve Wild, Grace Wild Studios.
All photos by David Seelig / Starfile except Nona Hendryx, Stiv Bator. Michael Monroe by Joby Corney
Little Steven and Arthur Baker in black and white photo by Loren Hay Nes.
Pat Benatar by Loren Haynes, courtesy of Spin Magazine.
Ray Barretto, Kurtis Blow, Lou Reed, Bobby Womack with Grandmaster Melle Mel by Chase Roe.
Peter Wolf & Tina B by Stephen Goldstein / Good Graphics Studio, Boston.
Pete Townshend and Bob Geldof by Jonathan Ashby.
Ringo Starr and Zak Starkey by Barbara Bach.
Bono by Kristen Stetler.
Sun City by Chris Steele / Magnum.
Shankar by Cathe Ishino.
Jackson Browne & Peter Garrett by Shelley Ross.
John Oates by Neil Winoker.
Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock & Tony Williams by Lisa Podgur.
Art direction by Rosemary Intrieri / Koppel & Scher.
The Sun City Project gratefully acknowleges the support of the Special Committee Against Apartheid of the United Nations.
Special thanks to Jonathan Ehrlich of Levine & Epstein.
Special thanks to Bobby Nathan, Joanne Georgio & Mary Cullum.
Special thanks to Mitch & Ira Yuspeh In addition to the musicians, Studios, engineers and photographers we would also like to thank the following people who donated their time and services to help in the completion of this record.
Bill Adler, Sean Murphy, Pablo Guzman, Nelson George. Massamba Fall (Masskool), Michael Cuscuna, Parn Johnston, Vinnie Longobardo, Hart Perry, Eric Nuri, Jamie Deans, Rob Partridge, Joe McEwen, Chris Blackwell, Margi Curry, Aracelly Santana, John Hey, Jonathan Ashhy, Max Weinberg, Ed Eckstine, Tom Silverman, Barry Rebo, John Hill, Jeff Chitouras, Robert Appelbaum. Trevor Wyatt. Ashley Newton, Lee Ballinger, Dave Marsh, Maureen Van Zandt, Cathe Ishino, Neil Geraldo. The Cars, Gene Amoroso, Monica Lynch, Steve Miglio. Barbara Bach. Jerry Dammers, Bob Singerman. Pascal Imbert, Bruce Lundvall, Gerry Griffith, Vamell Johnson, Bruce Garfield, Nancy Weber, Geoft Bywater, Stephen Reed. Sari Becker. Gordon Anderson, Stan Snyder, Bruce Theriot, Jock McLean, Nicola loss, Regine Moyletti, Andrea Ambandos, Valerie Goodman, Steve Dessau, Jay Coleman, Lee Hyman, Joe Manuel and Elizabeth Feiss.
I would like to especially thank Peter Gabriel for the profound inspiration of his song BIKO which is where my journey to Africa began and to Peter Ritchie for being a brother when I needed one to get me there.
Afrika Bambaataa appears courtesy of Tommy Boy Records, Ray Barretto appears courtesy of Fania Records, Pat Benatar appears courtesy of Chrysalis Records, Ruben Blades appears courtesy of Elektra Asylum Records, Kurtis Blow appears courtesy of Polygram Records, Bono appears courtesy of Island Records, Jackson Browne appears courtesy of Elektra Asylum Records. Clarence Clemons appears courtesy of Columbia Records, Jimmy Cliff appears courtesy of Columbia Records, George Clinton appears courtesy of Capitol Records, Mites Davis appears courtesy of CBS Records, Peter Gabriel appears courtesy of Geffen Records/ Virgin, Peter Garrett appears courtesy of Columbia Records, Daryl Hall appears courtesy of RCA Records. Herbie Hancock, appears courtesy of Columbia Records, Nona Hendryx appears courtesy of RCA Records, Kashif appears courtesy of Arista Records, Malopoets appears courtesy of EMI Records, Grandmaster Melle Mel appears courtesy of Sugarhill Records, Michael Monroe appears courtesy of Columbia Records, Sonny Okosuns appears courtesy of EMI / Nigeria Records, Joey Ramone appears courtesy of Sire Records, Lou Reed appears courtesy of RCA Records, Run DMC appears courtesy of Profite Records, Bruce Springsteen appears courtesy of Columbia Records, Peter Townshend appears courtesy of Warner Brothers Records, Bobby Womack appears courtesy of MCA Records, Peter Wolf appears courtesy of EMI / America Records, Stanley Jordan appears courtesy of Blue Note Records, John Oates appears courtesy of RCA Records, Via Afrika appears courtesy of EMI Records, Tony Williams appears courtesy of Blue Note Records. Keith le Blanc and Doug Wimbish appear courtesy of World Records / Fats Comet, Shankar appears courtesy of ECM Records, Bob Dylan appears courtesy of Columbia Records, D.J. Cheese appears courtesy oi Beauty & The Beat Records, The F at Boys appear courtesy of Buddha Records, Darlene Love appears courtesy of Jett Lay, Inc.
Track B4 is performed by U2 but there is no direct reference to this on the release. It appeared later on U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 5 099924 046718
- Barcode (Scanned): 5099924046718
- Matrix / Runout (Label, side A): 1C 064- 24 0467 1 A
- Matrix / Runout (Label, side B): 1C 064- 24 0467 1 B
- Matrix / Runout (Runout, side A): 2404671-A1-C
- Matrix / Runout (Runout, side B): 2404671-B1-C
- Rights Society: GEMA
- Rights Society: STEMRA
- Label Code: LC 7365
Other Versions (5 of 34) View All
|31C 064 240467||Artists United Against Apartheid||Sun City (LP, Album)||Manhattan Records||31C 064 240467||Brazil||1985||Sell This Version|
|ST 53019||Artists United Against Apartheid||Sun City (LP, Album)||Manhattan Records||ST 53019||Australia & New Zealand||1985||Sell This Version|
|64 2404671||Artists United Against Apartheid||Sun City (LP, Album, Lig)||Manhattan Records||64 2404671||Italy||1985||Sell This Version|
|TC-MAN-240467||Artists United Against Apartheid||Sun City (Cass, Album)||Manhattan Records||TC-MAN-240467||Australia & New Zealand||1985||Sell This Version|
|RE 2007, S21-57977||Artists United Against Apartheid||Sun City (CD, Album, RE, Unofficial)||Razor & Tie (2), CEMA Special Markets (2)||RE 2007, S21-57977||Russia||2013||Sell This Version|