- Phonographic Copyright (p) – CBS Inc.
- Copyright (c) – CBS Inc.
- Manufactured By – Columbia Records
- Recorded At – A&R Studios
- Mixed At – A&R Studios
- Lacquer Cut At – Masterdisk
- Pressed By – Columbia Records Pressing Plant, Pitman
- Published By – Joelsongs
- Published By – Higher Music
- Published By – Ripparthur Music
- Published By – April Music Inc.
- Accordion – Dominic Cortese (tracks: A4, B1)
- Acoustic Guitar – Hugh McCracken (tracks: A3, A4, B3 to B5), Steve Burgh (tracks: A3, B3)
- Alto Saxophone – Phil Woods (tracks: A3)
- Backing Vocals – Gwen Guthrie (tracks: B5), Lani Groves (tracks: B5), Patti Austin (tracks: B5), Phoebe Snow (tracks: B5)
- Bass – Doug Stegmeyer
- Drums – Liberty Devitto
- Electric Guitar – Hiram Bullock, Steve Burgh (tracks: A4)
- Electric Guitar [6 String], Twelve-String Guitar [Electric 12 String], Acoustic Guitar [Acoustic Rhythm], Guitar [High String] – Mr. Steve Khan*
- Engineer – Jim Boyer, Phil Ramone
- Lacquer Cut By – RL*
- Music By, Lyrics By – Billy Joel
- Orchestrated By [Orchestration] – Patrick Williams
- Organ – Richard Tee (tracks: B5)
- Percussion – Ralph MacDonald (tracks: A2, A3, B4, B5)
- Photography By – Jim Houghton
- Piano [Acoustic Piano], Vocals, Keyboards [Electric Keyboards], Synthesizer – Billy Joel
- Producer – Phil Ramone
- Production Manager [Production Assistant] – Kathy Kurs
- Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone, Clarinet, Flute, Organ – Richie Cannata
Recorded and Mixed at A&R Recording, Inc. New York, N.Y.
Ralph MacDonald appears courtesy of Marlin Records.
Patti Austin appears courtesy of CTI Records.
Richard Tee appears courtesy of Warner Bros. Records Inc.
Phil Woods appears courtesy of Gryphon Productions, Inc.
MASTERDISK Stamped run-out...NOT Sterling, like Billy Joel - The Stranger.
"P" stamped in runouts denotes a Columbia Records Pressing Plant, Pitman pressing.
B6 is unlisted on cover and jacket - it is titled "The Stranger (Reprise)" on reissues, but is present on this pressing.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Side A Label): AL 34987
- Matrix / Runout (Side B Label): BL 34987
- Matrix / Runout (Side A Runout Etched / "MASTERDISK", "P" & "P" Stamped): AL-34987-2A | MASTERDISK RL P P
- Matrix / Runout (Side B Runout Etched / "MASTERDISK", "2", "C" & "P" Stamped): BL-34987-3D MASTERDISK RL 2 C P
- Rights Society: ASCAP
- Rights Society: BMI
Other Versions (5 of 140) View All
|JC 34987, 34987||Billy Joel||The Stranger (LP, Album, San)||Columbia, Family Productions, Columbia, Family Productions||JC 34987, 34987||US||1977||Sell This Version|
|82311, CBS 82311, JC 34987, S CBS 82311||Billy Joel||The Stranger (LP, Album)||CBS, CBS, CBS, CBS||82311, CBS 82311, JC 34987, S CBS 82311||UK||1977||Sell This Version|
|JC 34987||Billy Joel||The Stranger (LP, Album, Ter)||Columbia, Family Productions||JC 34987||US||1977||Sell This Version|
|PC 7057||Billy Joel||The Stranger (Cass, Album, Dol)||CBS, Family Productions||PC 7057||Australia||1977||Sell This Version|
|CSCS 6016||Billy Joel||The Stranger (CD, Album, RE)||CBS/Sony||CSCS 6016||Japan||1990||Sell This Version|