Tracklist Hide Credits
|A2||The Dust Blows Forward 'N The Dust Blows Back||2:04|
Effects [Flesh Horn] – Antennae Jimmy Semens
|A5||Hair Pie: Bake 1||4:57|
|A6||Moonlight On Vermont
Bass Guitar – Gary "Magic" Marker
|B3||Sweet Sweet Bulbs||2:17|
|B4||Neon Meate Dream Of A Octafish
Instruments [Musette], Horns [Simran Horn] – Captain Beefheart
Guitar – Doug Moon
|B6||My Human Gets Me Blues||2:42|
|C1||Hair Pie: Bake 2||2:23|
Lead Vocals – Antennae Jimmy Semens
|C4||When Big Joan Sets Up||5:19|
|C6||Sugar 'N Spikes||2:29|
|C7||Ant Man Bee
Saxophone [Simultaneous Tenor & Soprano] – Captain Beefheart
|D1||Orange Claw Hammer||3:35|
|D3||She's Too Much For My Mirror||1:42|
|D4||Hobo Chang Ba||2:01|
|D5||The Blimp (Mousetrap Replica)
Narrator – Antennae Jimmy SemensVoice [Intro] – Frank Zappa
|D6||Steal Softly Thru Snow||2:13|
|D7||Old Fart At Play||1:54|
|D8||Veteran's Day Poppy
Bass Guitar – Gary "Magic" Marker
- Bass Guitar, Narrator – Rockette Morton
- Clarinet [Bass], Vocals – The Mascara Snake
- Design, Photography By [Cover] – Cal Schenkel
- Drums [Uncredited], Translated By [Music Score, Uncredited] – John French
- Engineer, Technician [Electronic Modification Of Equipment] – Dick Kunc
- Guitar [Glass Finger Guitar], Flute – Zoot Horn Rollo
- Guitar [Steel Appendage Guitar] – Antennae Jimmy Semens
- Photography By [Inside & Back Cover] – Ed Caraeff
- Producer – Frank Zappa
- Songwriter – Captain Beefheart
- Vocals, Saxophone [Tenor & Soprano Played Simultaneously] – Captain Beefheart
Manufactured & distributed in UK by CBS.
All tracks; Cop. Con.
Album catalog on sleeve does not have the "2" prefix.
No lyric sheet insert is included (which appeared only in early US releases). Both liners punch-hole & poly-lined with "R.S. 9.69" cyan print ref. Discs are not auto-coupled, like US issue.
"The Blimp" is listed on the vinyl as "The Blimb".
(The intro voice is that of Zappa, recorded via a telephone link to Zappa's studio - with Antennae Jimmy Semens narrating from Vliet's script over the 'phone from the 'Magic Band house'. A field-to-studio recording on which members of The Mothers are performing)
A4: "Flesh Horn" is a Vliet affectation for the 'cupped hand'-to-the-mouth (hence flesh), used to create a 'vocalised horn' effect.
B4: The wind instrument "Musette" credited on sleeve is a shortened version of an "Oboe Musette".
The expression 'steel appendage' guitar is another affectation for a steel finger-tube, used as a slide on the fret. A glass tube (or bottle-neck) is used for 'glass-finger' credit.
Drummer, John 'Drumbo' French, was not credited on this album.
(It is now accepted that his transcription of Beefheart's concepts/score for other band members was fundamental in its production. See vast notes in 'Grow Fins' box set).
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (A-Side, On Label): 2 STS 1053 A
- Matrix / Runout (B-Side, On Label): 2 STS 1053 B
- Matrix / Runout (C-Side, On Label): 2 STS 1053 C
- Matrix / Runout (D-Side, On Label): 2 STS 1053 D
- Matrix / Runout (A-Side run-out, stamped): 2 STS 1053 A1
- Matrix / Runout (B-Side run-out, stamped): 2 STS 1053 B1
- Matrix / Runout (C-Side run-out, stamped): 2 STS 1053 C1
- Matrix / Runout (D-Side run-out, stamped): 2 STS 1053 D1
- Other (Cyan date-print ref on liners): R.S. 9.69
Other Versions (5 of 66) View All
|STS 1053, 2 STS 1053||Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band*||Trout Mask Replica (2xLP, Album, Aut)||Straight, Straight||STS 1053, 2 STS 1053||US||1969||Sell This Version|
|STS 1053, 2MS 2027||Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band*||Trout Mask Replica (2xLP, Album, RE)||Straight, Reprise Records||STS 1053, 2MS 2027||US||1974||Sell This Version|
|2MS 2027||Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band*||Trout Mask Replica (2xLP, Album, RE)||Warner Bros. Records, Reprise Records||2MS 2027||US||1989||Sell This Version|
|CRJ 2027||Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band*||Trout Mask Replica (Cass, Album)||Reprise Records||CRJ 2027||Canada||Unknown||Sell This Version|
|2MS 2027, 2MS-2027||Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band*||Trout Mask Replica (2xLP, Album)||Reprise Records, Reprise Records||2MS 2027, 2MS-2027||Australia||1972||Sell This Version|