Tracklist Hide Credits
- Bass Clarinet, Vocals – The Mascara Snake
- Bass Guitar, Narrator – Rockette Morton
- Design, Photography By [Cover] – Cal Schenkel
- Drums [Uncredited], Translated By [Music Score, Uncredited] – John French
- Engineer, Technician [Electronic Modification Of Equipment] – Dick Kunc
- Photography By [Inside & Back Cover] – Ed Caraeff
- Producer – Frank Zappa
- Slide Guitar [Glass Finger Guitar], Flute – Zoot Horn Rollo
- Slide Guitar [Steel Appendage Guitar] – Antennae Jimmy Semens
- Songwriter – Captain Beefheart
- Vocals, Saxophone [Tenor & Soprano] – Captain Beefheart
'Straight' original gatefold sleeve issue, containing the reissue '3300 Warner Blvd 'mini W logo' tan vinyl labels housed in Warner "Loss Leaders" promo liners marked copyright 1974- Warner Bros. Records Inc R-4.
The sleeve is cat# STS 1053, the vinyl is cat# 2MS 2027.
No lyric sheet insert is included (which appeared only in early US releases).
D5 -"The Blimp"
(The intro voice is that of Zappa, recorded via a telephone link to Zappa's studio - with Antennae Jimmy Semens narrating from Vliet's script over the 'phone from the 'Magic Band house'. A field-to-studio recording on which members of 'The Mothers' are performing)
A4: "Flesh Horn" is a Vliet affectation for the 'cupped hand'-to-the-mouth (hence flesh), used to create a 'vocalised horn' effect.
B4: The wind instrument "Musette" credited on sleeve is a shortened version of an "Oboe Musette".
The expression 'steel appendage' guitar is another affectation for a steel finger-tube, used as a slide on the fret. A glass tube (or bottle-neck) is used for 'glass-finger' credit.
Drummer, John 'Drumbo' French, was not credited on this album.
(It is now accepted that his transcription of Beefheart's concepts/score for other band members was fundamental in its production. See vast notes in 'Grow Fins' CD box set or vinyl album set).
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (A-Side run-out, hand-etched): 2MS-2027-A 31041-1A (STS-1053-1 [scratched out]) 1A SX E
- Matrix / Runout (B-Side run-out, hand-etched): 2MS-2027 31042 (SHBH [circled])
- Matrix / Runout (C-Side run-out, hand-etched): 2MS-2027 31043
- Matrix / Runout (D-Side run-out, hand-etched): 2MS-2027 31044
Other Versions (5 of 71) View All
|STS 1053, 2 STS 1053||Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band*||Trout Mask Replica (2xLP, Album, Aut)||Straight, Straight||STS 1053, 2 STS 1053||US||1969||Sell This Version|
|STS 1053, 2MS 2027||Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band*||Trout Mask Replica (2xLP, Album, RE)||Straight, Reprise Records||STS 1053, 2MS 2027||US||1974||Sell This Version|
|2MS 2027||Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band*||Trout Mask Replica (2xLP, Album, RE)||Warner Bros. Records, Reprise Records||2MS 2027||US||1989||Sell This Version|
|CRJ 2027||Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band*||Trout Mask Replica (Cass, Album)||Reprise Records||CRJ 2027||Canada||Unknown||Sell This Version|
|2MS 2027, 2MS-2027||Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band*||Trout Mask Replica (2xLP, Album)||Reprise Records, Reprise Records||2MS 2027, 2MS-2027||Australia||1972||Sell This Version|