Tracklist Hide Credits
- Art Direction, Design – Pietro Alfieri
- Banjo – Fred Guy (tracks: A1 to B5)
- Bass – Wellman Braud (tracks: A1 to A4, A6 to B8)
- Clarinet, Alto Saxophone [Alto Sax], Baritone Saxophone [Baritone Sax] – Harry Carney
- Clarinet, Soprano Saxophone [Soprano Sax], Alto Saxophone [Alto Sax] – Johnny Hodges
- Clarinet, Soprano Saxophone [Soprano Sax], Alto Saxophone [Alto Sax], Bass Saxophone [Bass Sax] – Otto Hardwick
- Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone [Tenor Sax] – Barney Bigard, Rudy Jackson
- Drums – Sonny Greer
- Executive Producer – Steve Backer
- Guitar – Fred Guy (tracks: A7 to B8)
- Illustration [Illustrator] – Raul Colon
- Liner Notes – Dan Morgenstern
- Piano – Ellington*
- Reeds – Barney Bigard (tracks: A4 to B8), Carney*, Johnny Hodges (tracks: A5 to B8), Hardwick* (tracks: A1 to A4, B6 to B8), Jackson* (tracks: A1 to A3)
- Reissue Producer – Orrin Keepnews
- Technician [Audio Restoration] – Paul Goodman
- Technician [Digital Transfers] – Ray Hall
- Trombone – Joe "Tricky Sam" Nanton*, Lawrence Brown (tracks: B6 to B8)
- Trumpet – Arthur Whetsol (tracks: A4 to B8), Bubber Miley (tracks: A1 to A4, A6), Cootie Williams (tracks: A7 to B8), Freddy Jenkins (tracks: A6 to B8), Louis Bacon (tracks: B6 to B8), Louis Metcalf (tracks: A1 to A4), Unknown Artist (tracks: A5)
- Tuba – Billy Taylor* (tracks: A5 to B8)
- Valve Trombone – Juan Tizol (tracks: A7 to B8)
A1 to A3:
New York City; October 26 (A1, A2) and December 19 (A3), 1927.
Black And Tan Fantasie - master number BVE-40155-4 / first issued on Victor 21137
Creole Love Call - mtx BVE-39370-1 / Vic 21137
East St. Louis Toodle-Oo - mtx BVE-41245-2 / Vic 21703
New York; March 26, 1928.
Black Beauty - mtx BVE-43502-2 / Vic 21580
New York; October 30, 1928.
The Mooche - mtx BVE-47799-2 / Vic 38034
New York; January 16, 1929.
Flaming Youth - mtx BVE-49652-2 / Vic 24057
A7 to B5:
Hollywood; August 20 (A7) and August 26 (A8), 1930. New York; December 10, 1930 (B1), January 16 (B2), June 11 (B3, B4) and June 16 (B5), 1931.
Ring Dem Bells - mtx BVE-61011-3 / Vic 20-1532
Old Man Blues - mtx BVE-61012-6 / Vic 23022
Mood Indigo - mtx BVE-64811-4 / Vic 22587
Rockin' In Rhythm - mtx BVE-67401-1 / Vic 26310
Creole Rhapsody, Part 1 - mtx CRC-68231-2 / Vic 36049
Creole Rhapsody, Part 2 - mtx CRC-68233-3 / Vic 36049
Echoes Of The Jungle - mtx BRC-68238-1 / Vic 22743
B6 to B8:
Chicago; December 4, 1933 (B6), January 9 (B7) and January 10 (B8), 1934.
Daybreak Express - mtx BS-77201-1 / Vic 24501
Stompy Jones - mtx BS-80145-2 / Vic 24521
Solitude - mtx BS-80149-1 / Vic 24755
All selections, unless otherwise indicated, published by Mills Music (ASCAP).
B8 - Mills Music Inc. / Scarsdale Music (ASCAP)
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 0 7863-56852-1 3
Other Versions (4 of 4) View All
|ND86852||Duke Ellington And His Orchestra||Early Ellington (1927 - 1934) (CD, Comp)||Bluebird (3)||ND86852||UK & Europe||1989||Sell This Version|
|6852-2-RB||Duke Ellington And His Orchestra||Early Ellington (1927 - 1934) (CD, Comp)||Bluebird (3)||6852-2-RB||US||1989||Sell This Version|
|NK 86852||Duke Ellington And His Orchestra||Early Ellington (1927 - 1934) (Cass, Album, Comp)||Bluebird (3)||NK 86852||UK & Europe||1989||Sell This Version|
|NL86852||Duke Ellington And His Orchestra||Early Ellington (1927 - 1934) (LP, Comp, RM)||Bluebird (3)||NL86852||UK & Europe||1989||Sell This Version|