|A||John's Reflection On His Boyhood, His Introduction To Miss Keyes And The Glen, His Restlessness, And His Struggles With His Family, Finally Successful, To Join The Navy. This Was The Happiest Period In His Life. All Looked Set Fair For A Career Until He Was Stricken With Sickness And Invalided Out Of His Chosen Niche In Life. Reluctantly And Unhappily He Turned To A Number Of Menial Occupations And Finally Returned To The Services Of Miss Keyes. Tragedy Now Strikes Hard. The World's Imagination Is Caught By The Brutal Senselessness Of The Apparent Criminal Who Slays His Kind Old Mistress.|
|B||John Was Hardly More Than A Bewildered Observer At His Own Trial, Not Being Allowed To Say More Than A Few Words. The Tides Of Fate Wash Him To The Condemned Cell Where He Waits Three Sad Weeks For His Last Night On Earth. When It Comes, He Cannot Sleep, But When He Does, A Strange, Prophetic Dream Comes To Him, And Helps Him To Bear The Strain Of His Next Day's Ordeal As Scaffold And Its Crew Try In Vain Three Times To Take His Life.|
- Bass, Mandolin – Dave Pegg
- Composed By [All Compositions By] – Fairport Convention
- Design [Album] – Roberta Nicol
- Drums, Electric Piano – Dave Mattacks
- Engineer – John "Mildenhall" Wood*
- Fiddle, Mandolin – Dave Swarbrick
- Guitar, Dulcimer – Simon Nicol
- Lacquer Cut By – Pecko* (tracks: B), Porky (5) (tracks: A)
- Producer – John M Wood*, Simon Nicol
- Written-By [The Sailor's Alphabet] – Bert Lloyd*
Issued in a gatefold cover with printed inner sleeve with lyrics, an 8-page booklet, and a "Don't Hang Babbacombe Lee" circular sticker.
On the label the release is called "John Babbacombe Lee".
Recorded at: Sound Techniques, Ltd.
All compositions by Fairport Convention except "The Sailor's Alphabet', for which, thanks to Bert Lloyd. Thanks to Swarb from the rest of the group for his enthusiasm which kept the ship afloat. All copyrights Warlock Music Limited.
Album inner: C.C.S.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Side A runout stamped): ILPS 9176 A-1U
- Matrix / Runout (Side B runout stamped): ILPS 9176 B-1U
- Matrix / Runout (Side A runout etched): PORKY
- Matrix / Runout (Side B runout etched): PECKO
Other Versions (5 of 23) View All
|ILPS 9176||Fairport Convention||"Babbacombe" Lee (LP, Album, RE, Gat)||Island Records||ILPS 9176||UK||Unknown||Sell This Version|
|512 755-2, IMCD 153||Fairport Convention||'Babbacombe' Lee (CD, Album)||Island Records, Island Masters||512 755-2, IMCD 153||UK||1992||Sell This Version|
|SIL-934,457||Fairport Convention||"Babbacombe" Lee (LP, Album)||Island Records||SIL-934,457||Australia||1971||Sell This Version|
|UICY-9484||Fairport Convention||"Babbacombe" Lee (CD, Album, RE, RM, Ltd)||Island Records, Island Remasters||UICY-9484||Japan||2004||Sell This Version|
|85 805 IT, ILPS.9176||Fairport Convention||"Babbacombe" Lee (LP, Album, RE, Gat)||Island Records, Island Records||85 805 IT, ILPS.9176||UK||Unknown||Sell This Version|