|1-1||"This Is Phaze III"||0:48|
|1-2||Put A Motor In Yourself||5:14|
|1-4||They Made Me Eat It||1:48|
|1-5||Reagan At Bitburg||5:39|
|1-6||"A Very Nice Body"||1:00|
|1-8||"How The Pigs' Music Works"||1:49|
|1-12||"Have You Heard Their Band?"||0:38|
|1-14||"Saliva Can Only Take So Much"||0:28|
|1-16||"Someplace Else Right Now"||0:33|
|1-17||Get A Life||2:21|
|1-18||"A Kayak (On Snow)"||0:29|
|1-19.III||The New World Order|
|1-19.IV||The Lifestyle You Deserve|
|1-19.VI||He Is Risen|
|2-1||"I Wish Motorhead Would Come Back"||0:14|
|2-3||"Attack! Attack! Attack!"||1:25|
|2-4||I Was In A Drum||3:38|
|2-5||"A Different Octave"||0:58|
|2-6||"This Ain't CNN"||3:21|
|2-7||"The Pigs' Music"||1:18|
|2-8||A Pig With Wings||2:52|
|2-9||"This Is All Wrong"||1:43|
|2-10||Hot & Putrid||0:29|
|2-12||"I Had A Dream About That"||0:28|
|2-14||"A Tunnel Into Muck"||0:21|
|2-16||"Put A Little Motor In 'Em"||0:51|
|2-17||"You're Just Insultin' Me, Aren't You!"||2:13|
|2-18||"Cold Light Generation"||0:44|
|2-20||"That Would Be The End Of That"||0:36|
|2-21||Beat The Reaper||15:23|
- Recorded At – Apostolic Studios
- Recorded At – UMRK
- Engineered At – Joe's Garage, Los Angeles
- Engineered At – UMRK
- Mastered At – Mayking
- Copyright (c) – Zappa Family Trust
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Zappa Family Trust
- Published By – Munchkin Music
- Licensed Through – Barking Pumpkin Records
- Marketed By – Music For Nations
- Distributed By – Music For Nations
- Art Direction – Command A Studios, Inc.
- Bass Trombone, Alphorn, Didgeridoo, Conch – Michael Svoboda
- Bassoon, Contrabassoon – Veit Scholz
- Cello – Friedemann Dähn
- Cimbalom, Percussion – Rumi Ogawa-Helferich
- Clarinet – Roland Diry
- Composed By, Performer, Conductor – Frank Zappa
- Contrabass, Electric Bass – Thomas Fichter
- Design [Cover] – Uri Balashov*
- Engineer [1967 Dialogue] – Dick Kunc
- Engineer [1991 Dialogue And Chamber Group Pieces] – David Dondorf*
- Engineer [Full Ensemble Recordings] – Marque Coy, Todd Yvega
- Engineer [Synclavier Material And Final Mixes] – Spencer Chrislu
- Ensemble – Ensemble Modern
- French Horn – Franck Ollu, Stefan Dohr
- Guitar, Banjo – Jürgen Ruck
- Harp – Ueli Wiget
- Liner Notes – Frank Zappa
- Mandolin – Detlef Tewes
- Marimba, Percussion – Andreas Böttger
- Oboe, English Horn, Oboe [Baritone], Didgeridoo – Catherine Milliken
- Piano, Celesta – Hermann Kretzschmarr*
- Piccolo Flute, Flute, Alto Flute, Flute [Bass] – Dietmar Weisner*
- Producer, Compiled By, Edited By – Frank Zappa
- Saw [Musical Saw], Percussion – Rainer Römer
- Tenor Saxophone, Bass Clarinet, Contrabass Clarinet – Wolfgang Stryi
- Trombone, Trombone [Pigmy] – Uwe Dierksen
- Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Michael Gross (7), William Formann*
- Tuba – Daryl Smith (5)
- Viola – Hilary Sturt
- Violin  – Peter Rundel
- Violin  – Mathias Tacke
- Voice Actor  – All-Night John, Frank Zappa, Gilly Townley, Spider Barbour*, Louis "The Turkey" Cuneo, Monica*, Euclid James "Motorhead" Sherwood*, Roy Estrada, Unknown Girl #1, Unknown Girl #2
- Voice Actor  – Ali N. Askin, Catherine Milliken, Daryl Smith (5), Dweezil Zappa, Franck Ollu, Hermann Kretzschmar, Michael Gross (7), Michael Rappaport, Michael Svoboda, Moon Unit Zappa*, Stefan Dohr, Todd Yvega, Uwe Dierksen, Walt Fowler, William Formann*
In 1967, we spent about four months recording various projects […]. One day I decided to stuff a pair of U-87's in the piano, cover it with a heavy drape, put a sand bag on the sustain pedal and invite anybody in the vicinity to stick their head inside and ramble incoherently about the various topics I would suggest to them via the studio talk-back system.
This set-up remained in place for several days. During that time, many hours of recordings were made, most of it useless. […]
Some of this dialog - after extensive editing - found its way into the "Lumpy Gravy" album. The rest of it sat in my tape vault for decades, waiting for the glorious day when audio science would develop tools which might allow for its resurrection. […]
In "Civilization Phaze III" we get a few more clues about the lives of the piano-dwellers and note that the external evils have only gotten worse since we first met them. The bulk of the musical material comes from Synclavier sequences (all music in act one). In the second act, the music is a combination of Synclavier (70%) and live performance (30%), along with a new generation of piano people.
The new residents […] were recorded in a Bösendorfer Imperial at UMRK during the summer of 1991.[…]"
1967 dialog recorded at Apostolic Studio, NYC.
1991 dialog and chamber group pieces recorded at UMRK, Hollywood.
1991 full ensemble recordings engineered on the Synclavier Direct-to-Disc System at "Joe's Garage", North Hollywood.
1992 Synclavier material and all final mixes engineered at UMRK, Hollywood.
Liner notes: 1993.
Released in Digipak-like hardcover book format (14.5 x 13cm) with a 32-page booklet bound in, printed on semi-gloss white art with interleaved trace sheets (color printed translucent dividers), containing libretto & credits.
All selections © 1994 The Zappa Family Trust, exclusively administered worldwide by Munchkin Music, ASCAP.
℗ 1994 The Zappa Family Trust exclusively licensed worldwide by Barking Pumpkin Records.
Artwork & Liner Notes © 1994 The Zappa Family Trust.
This is album #60.
(P) (C) 1994 The Zappa Family Trust.
Marketed and Distributed by Music For Nations.
Made in England.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 5 016583 605629
- Matrix / Runout (CD1 mirror-printed): MASTERED BY MAYKING CDZAP 56-1 •
- Matrix / Runout (CD2 mirror-printed): MASTERED BY MAYKING CDZAP 56-2 •
- Rights Society: ASCAP
- Label Code: LC 5661
- Distribution Code: RTD GAS 211.60562
- Distribution Code: BM 652
Other Versions (3 of 3) View All
|CDDZAP 56 P||Frank Zappa||Civilization Phaze III (2xCD, Album, Promo)||Zappa Records||CDDZAP 56 P||UK||1994||Sell This Version|
|CDDZAP 56||Frank Zappa||Civilization Phaze III (2xCD, Album)||Zappa Records||CDDZAP 56||Japan||1994||Sell This Version|
|UMRK 01||Frank Zappa||Civilization Phaze III (2xCD, Album)||Barking Pumpkin Records||UMRK 01||US||1994||Sell This Version|