Tracklist Hide Credits
|1||Theme From Run Home Slow||1:23|
|2||Original Duke Of Prunes||1:17|
|3||Opening Night Party At Studio Z (Collage)
Guest – Bob Narciso, Captain Beefheart, Laurie*, Motorhead Sherwood, Ray Collins
|4||The Village Inn||1:17|
Bass – Johnny FranklinDrums – Toby (27)Guitar – Frankie Zappo*Tenor Saxophone – Motorhead*Vocals – CorsaWritten-By – Jimmy Hughes
|6||I Was A Teen-Age Malt Shop
Acoustic Guitar – Motorhead*Drums – Vic Mortenson*Piano – F.Z.*
|7||The Birth Of Captain Beefheart
Featuring – Captain Beefheart
|8||Metal Man Has Won His Wings
Bass – Unknown ArtistDrums – Vic Mortenson*Guitar – F.Z.*Vocals – Captain Beefheart
|9||Power Trio Segment From The Saints 'n Sinners
Bass – Paul Woods (6)Drums – Les PappGuitar – F.Z.*
|10||Bossa Nova Pervertamento
Acoustic Guitar – F.Z.*Bass – Bobby SaldanaDrums – Les Papp
|11||Excerpt From The Uncle Frankie Show||0:40|
Vocals, Piano, Bass, Drums – F.Z.*
|14||Original Mothers At The Broadside (Pomona)||0:55|
|15||Party Scene From Mondo Hollywood||1:54|
|16||Original Mothers Rehearsal||0:22|
|17||How Could I Be Such A Fool?||1:49|
|18||Band Introductions At The Fillmore West||1:10|
Lyrics By – Frank ZappaMusic By – Richard Berry
|20||Original Mothers At The Fillmore East||0:50|
|21||Harry, You're A Beast||0:30|
|24||Jim / Roy||4:04|
|27||Agency Man (Studio Version)
Bass [Possible Line-up] – Roy EstradaGuitar – Zappa*Keyboards [Possible Line-up], Saxophone [Possible Line-up] – Ian UnderwoodPercussion [Possible Line-up] – Art Tripp, Jimmy Carl BlackSaxophone [Possible Line-up] – Motorhead SherwoodVocals [Possible Line-up] – Ray CollinsWoodwind [Possible Line-up] – Bunk Gardner
|28||Lecture From Festival Hall Show||0:21|
|29||Wedding Dress Song/The Handsome Cabin Boy
Bass [Possible Line-up] – Roy EstradaDrums [Possible Line-up] – Jimmy Carl BlackGuitar [Possible Line-up] – Frank ZappaKeyboards [Possible Line-up] – Don PrestonMarimba [Possible Line-up], Vibraphone [Possible Line-up] – Art Tripp
|30||Skweezit Skweezit Skweezit
Alto Saxophone [Possible Line-up] – Ian UnderwoodBaritone Saxophone [Possible Line-up] – Motorhead SherwoodDrums [Possible Line-up] – Art Tripp, Jimmy Carl BlackGuitar [Possible Line-up] – Frank Zappa, Lowell GeorgeKeyboards [Possible Line-up] – Don PrestonTenor Saxophone [Possible Line-up] – Bunk GardnerTrumpet [Possible Line-up] – Buzz GardnerVocals [Possible Line-up], Bass [Possible] – Roy Estrada
|31||The Story Of Willie The Pimp
Interviewee – Annie Zannas, Cynthia DobsonInterviewer, Recorded By – Frank Zappa
Alto Saxophone – Ian UnderwoodBaritone Saxophone – Motorhead SherwoodBass – Roy EstradaConductor, Vocals – Frank ZappaDrums – Art Tripp, Jimmy Carl BlackGuitar – Lowell GeorgeKeyboards – Don PrestonTenor Saxophone – Bunk GardnerTrumpet – Buzz Gardner
Alto Saxophone [Possible Line-up] – Ian UnderwoodBaritone Saxophone [Possible Line-up] – Motorhead SherwoodBass [Possible Line-up] – Roy EstradaDrums [Possible Line-up] – Art Tripp, Jimmy Carl BlackGuitar [Possible Line-up] – Lowell GeorgeGuitar [Possible Line-up], Vocals [Possible Line-up] – Frank ZappaKeyboards [Possible Line-up] – Don PrestonTenor Saxophone [Possible Line-up] – Bunk GardnerTrumpet [Possible Line-up] – Buzz Gardner
|34||Mothers At KPFK||3:26|
- Published By – Munchkin Music
- Published By – Frank Zappa Music
- Published By – Screen Gems-EMI Music Inc.
- Published By – Windswept Pacific Songs
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Rykodisc
- Copyright (c) – Rykodisc
- Copyright (c) – Zappa Family Trust
- Recorded At – Studio Z (3)
- Mastered At – Northeastern Digital
- Pressed By – MPO
- Alto Saxophone, Piano – Ian Underwood (tracks: 21 to 26)
- Arranged By – Frank Zappa
- Baritone Saxophone, Tambourine – Euclid James Motorhead Sherwood* (tracks: 21 to 26)
- Bass, Vocals – Roy Estrada (tracks: 21 to 26)
- Composed By – Frank Zappa (tracks: 1 to 4, 6 to 18, 20 to 35)
- Design [Package Design & Switzerland] – Cal Schenkel
- Drums – Jimmy Carl Black (tracks: 21 to 26)
- Drums, Percussion – Arthur Dyer Tripp III* (tracks: 21 to 26)
- Electric Piano, Noises [Odd Noises] – Don Preston (tracks: 21 to 26)
- Guitar, Vocals – FZ* (tracks: 21 to 26)
- Layout [Graphic Engineer] – Steven Jurgensmeyer
- Liner Notes – Frank Zappa
- Liner Notes [Additional] – G. Whillikens
- Mastered By – Toby Mountain
- Other [Keening] – Gail Zappa
- Other [Key Witness] – Jill Christiansen
- Producer – Frank Zappa
- Research [Archival Ephemera] – David Baker
- Tenor Saxophone, Clarinet – Bunk Gardner (tracks: 21 to 26)
The CD omits two tracks from the box sets, "Why Don'tcha Do Me Right?" and "Big Leg Emma", both of which were included on the CD version of Absolutely Free (tracks 8 & 9).
These recordings cover the early stages of Zappa's career, and were made between 1962 and 1969 (with the exception of "The Story of Willie the Pimp", recorded in 1972). (See scans for further details).
Tracks 1, 12 & 29 are also on "Lost Episodes" (tracks 1 & 12 in slightly different versions), tracks 21 to 26 are edits of "Ahead of Their Time" material, and track 32 is a different edit of a "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore #5" track.
Notes written by Frank Zappa © 1998 The Zappa Family Trust.
All selections controlled worldwide by Munchkin Music (ASCAP) or Frank Zappa Music (BMI), except track 5 published by Screen-Gems EMI Music Publishing (BMI) and track 19 published by Windswept Pacific Songs (BMI).
Artwork © 1998 Zappa Family Trust.
℗ & © 1998 Rykodisc.
The green-tinted jewel box is a registered trademark of Rykodisc.
Manufactured and printed in the USA.
Mastered at Northeastern Digital Recording.
Some of the original early recordings, such as those with Beefheart, were made at Studio Z (not credited on the release itself).
Copies were released with a small paper wrap-around on top of the jewel case.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 0 14431 05802 8
- Barcode (String): 014431058028
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 1): RCD 10580 MPO 01 @@@ 9 02
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 2): RCD 10580 MPO 01 @@@ 9 01
- Mastering SID Code (Variant 1, Variant 2): IFPI L033
- Mould SID Code (Variant 1): IFPI 1206
- Mould SID Code (Variant 2): IFPI 1216
Other Versions (5 of 12) View All
|RCD 10580 ADV||Frank Zappa||Mystery Disc (CD, Comp, Promo)||Rykodisc||RCD 10580 ADV||US||1998||Sell This Version|
|ZR 3891||Frank Zappa||Mystery Disc (CD, Album, Comp, RE, RM)||Zappa Records||ZR 3891||US||2012||Sell This Version|
|RCD 10580||Frank Zappa||Mystery Disc (CD, Album, Comp)||Rykodisc||RCD 10580||US||1998||Sell This Version|
|none||Frank Zappa||The Mystery Disc (LP, Album, Comp, Unofficial)||Collectorecord Ltd||none||1985||Sell This Version|
|0238912||Frank Zappa||Mystery Disc (CD, Album, Comp, RE, RM)||Zappa Records, Universal Music Group International||0238912||Europe||2012||Sell This Version|