Tracklist Hide Credits
- Made By – Deluxe (7)
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Rykodisc
- Copyright (c) – Zappa Family Trust
- Published By – Zappa Family Trust
- Published By – Munchkin Music
- Published By – Painted Desert Music Corp.
- Published By – Colgems-EMI Music Inc.
- Published By – Bella Godiva Music
- Published By – Dratleaf Music Ltd.
- Published By – E.C. Music
- Published By – Unichappell Music, Inc.
- Published By – Chappell & Co.
- Published By – Warner Bros. Inc.
- Published By – Famous Music Corporation
- Published By – Jay Livingston Music
- Published By – St. Angelo Music
- Published By – Frank Zappa Music
- Published By – Superhype Music, Inc.
- Published By – Wb Music Corp.
- Alto Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone – Paul Carman
- Artwork [Cover Art] – Cal Schenkel
- Baritone Saxophone, Bass Saxophone, Contrabass Clarinet – Kurt McGettrick
- Design [CD Repackage] – Ferenc Dobronyi
- Design [Original] – Tracy Veal
- Drums, Percussion [Electronic] – Chad Wackerman
- Electric Bass, Synthesizer [Mini-moog] – Scott Thunes
- Keyboards, Vocals – Bobby Martin (2)
- Lead Guitar, Synthesizer [Computer-synth], Vocals – Frank Zappa
- Producer, Arranged By, Compiled By, Edited By – Frank Zappa
- Rhythm Guitar, Synthesizer, Vocals – Ike Willis, Mike Keneally
- Supervised By [Engineering Supervision] – Bob Stone
- Tenor Saxophone – Albert Wing
- Trombone – Bruce Fowler (3)
- Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Synthesizer – Walt Fowler
- Vibraphone, Marimba, Percussion [Electronic] – Ed Mann
The 1988 road band self-destructed before U.S. audiences in the South, Midwest and West could hear it perform. It was, however, heard and appreciated by East Coast and European audiences during its brief existence (four months of rehearsal in 1987/88, followed by a tour, February through June, 1988), and it is from those performances that this compilation has been made.
The collection features big-band arrangements of concert favorites and obscure album cuts, along with deranged versions of cover tunes and a few premiere recordings.
In a world where most of the "big groups" go on stage and pretend to sing and play, we proudly present this quaint little audio artefact. Yes, once upon a time, live musicians actually sang and played this. All material contained herein is 100% live, and there are no over-dubs of any kind.
FZ approved master, 1993.
Album in which song first appeared / Locations
- Track 1-1: Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar / Rotterdam, Wurzburg
- Track 1-2: Premiere recording / Wurzburg
- Track 1-3: Apostrophe / Wurzburg
- Track 1-4: Zoot Allures / Munich
- Track 1-5: We're Only In It For The Money / Munich, Wurzburg
- Track 1-6: Premiere recording / Wurzburg
- Track 1-7: Over-nite Sensation / Munich, Allentown, PA
- Track 1-8: Zoot Allures / Brighton
- Track 1-9: Uncle Meat / Strasbourg
- Track 1-10: One Size Fits All / NY
- Track 1-11: One Size Fits All / Allentown, PA, Binghampton, NY
- Track 1-12: One Size Fits All / Allentown, PA, Grenoble
- Track 1-13: One Size Fits All / Munich
- Track 2-1: Premiere recording / Linz (soundcheck)
- Track 2-2: Premiere recording / Linz (soundcheck)
- Track 2-3: Does Humor Belong In Music? / Modena, Grenoble
- Track 2-4: Premiere recording / Binghampton, NY
- Track 2-5: Premiere recording / Binghampton, NY
- Track 2-6: Premiere recording / Philadelphia, PA
- Track 2-7: Zoot Allures / London, England
- Track 2-8: Premiere recording / London, England
- Track 2-9: 200 Motels / Pittsburgh, PA
- Track 2-10: Zoot Allures / Teaneck, NJ
- Track 2-11: Roxy & Elsewhere / Poughkeepsie, NY
- Track 2-12: Roxy & Elsewhere / Poughkeepsie, NY
- Track 2-13: Weasels Ripped My Flesh / Syracuse, NY, Detroit, MI, Vienna
- Track 2-14: Premiere Recording / Vienna, Florence, London
All tracks published by The Zappa Family Trust d/b/a Munchkin Music (ASCAP) except tracks 1-5, 1-9, 2-11 by The Zappa Family Trust d/b/a Frank Zappa Music (BMI); track 1-2 by Painted Desert Music Corp. (BMI); track 1-6 Colgems-EMI Music, Inc. (ASCAP); track 2-1 by Bella Godiva Music (ASCAP); track 2-2 by Dratleaf Music Ltd./E.C. Music Ltd. (PRS) and Unichappel Music Inc. (BMI)/Chappel & Co. (ASCAP); track 2-4 by Warner Bros. Inc. (ASCAP); track 2-5 by Famous Music Corporation (ASCAP); track 2-8 by Jay Livingstone Music & St. Angelo Music (ASCAP); track 2-14 by Superhype Publishing Inc. (ASCAP) (worldwide rights administered by WB Music Corp.)
℗ 1991 Rykodisc.
Original cover illustration © 1995 Cal Schnekel Artworks.
Interior CD package © 1991, 1995 The Zappa Family Trust.
Reproduced under license.
Manufactured in the EU (on sleeve). Made in UK (on CD).
Liner notes © 1991 The Zappa Family Trust.
Note: This version comes without Ravel's "Bolero", formerly being Track 8 on CD1 of the first release.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 0 14431 06532 3
- Barcode: 014431065323
- Matrix / Runout (CD1): deluxe RCD10653/541 01
- Mastering SID Code (CD1): IFPI L135
- Mould SID Code (CD1): IFPI 04AJ IFPI 0472
- Matrix / Runout (CD2): deluxe RCD10653/542 01
- Mastering SID Code (CD2): IFPI L136
- Mould SID Code (CD2): IFPI 04AJ IFPI 0472
Other Versions (5 of 19) View All
|D2 74233||Frank Zappa||The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life (2xCD, Album)||Barking Pumpkin Records||D2 74233||US||1991||Sell This Version|
|TZAPPA 38||Frank Zappa||The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life (Cass, Album)||Zappa Records||TZAPPA 38||UK||1991||Sell This Version|
|RCD 10553/54||Frank Zappa||The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life (2xCD, Album, RE, RM)||Rykodisc||RCD 10553/54||US||1995||Sell This Version|
|RCD 10653/54||Frank Zappa||The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life (2xCD, Album, RE, RM, Cen)||Rykodisc||RCD 10653/54||Europe||1995||Sell This Version|
|RCD 10653/54||Frank Zappa||The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life (2xCD, Album, RE, RM)||Rykodisc||RCD 10653/54||US||2002||Sell This Version|