Tracklist Hide Credits
|1||The Boy Beats The Rams (Kluk Tluče Berany)||4:53|
|2||Spring Any Day Now||3:05|
|3||Don't Cry For Me
Percussion [Snare Drum, Maraccas] – Chris Cutler
|4||Hands Of The Juggler||5:31|
|6||Year Of The Monkey
Recorder – Frank Wuyts
|7||What A Dilemma
Bass [Subliminal] – Tina Curran
|8||Crack In The Concrete||1:24|
Drums – Frank Wuyts
|10||Dancing In The Street / My Enemy Is A Bad Man
Composed By – Fred Frith, Gay*, Stevenson*Drums [Subliminal] – Hasse BruniussonOrgan – Dave Newhouse
Soprano Saxophone – Tom Scott (2)
|12||A Career In Real Estate||4:39|
|13||Dancing In Rockville, Maryland||2:46|
|14||Waking Against Sleep||2:02|
|18||Life At The Top||1:40|
|19||Oh Wie Schön Ist Panama!||5:00|
- Alto Saxophone – Dave Newhouse (tracks: 7 to 13)
- Alto Saxophone, Bass Clarinet – Marc Hollander (tracks: 7 to 13)
- Alto Saxophone, Clarinet – Marc Hollander (tracks: 1 to 6)
- Bass – Billy Swann (tracks: 8, 10, 11, 13)
- Bass, Guitar, Violin, Keyboards – Fred Frith (tracks: 7 to 13)
- Bass, Guitar, Violin, Percussion [Extra], Drums – Fred Frith (tracks: 1 to 6)
- Composed By – Fred Frith
- Cover – Alfreda Benge
- Drums – Fred Frith (tracks: 7, 11, 13), Hans Bruniusson* (tracks: 1 to 6), Paul Sears (2) (tracks: 7, 8, 10, 11, 13)
- Engineer – Colleen Scott (tracks: 7 to 13), Etienne Conod, Gabriel Rosen (tracks: 1 to 6), Tom Scott (2) (tracks: 7 to 13)
- Guitar, Mandolin – Eino Haapala (tracks: 1 to 6)
- Other [Ten Seconds Of The Real Thing] – 13th St. Puerto Rico Summertime Band (tracks: 1 to 6)
- Performer [Clapping, Golden Scissors] – Etienne Conod (tracks: 1 to 6)
- Performer [Clapping] – Chris Cutler (tracks: 1 to 6), Denis Van Hecke (tracks: 1 to 6), Michel Berkmans* (tracks: 1 to 6), Veronique Vincent* (tracks: 1 to 6)
- Performer [Tap Dancing, Clapping] – Olivia Bruynhooghe (tracks: 1 to 6)
- Performer [Whirling, Clapping] – Catherine Jauniaux (tracks: 1 to 6), Frank Wuyts (tracks: 1 to 6), Tina Curran (tracks: 1 to 6)
- Photography By [Back Cover] – Tina Curran
- Piano, Organ, Accordion – Lars Hollmer (tracks: 1 to 6)
- Producer – Etienne Conod, Fred Frith
- Voice [Final Comments] – Asha Swanson (tracks: 1 to 6)
Track 14 previously unreleased.
Tracks 15, 16 were initially released on Art Bears' album "Hopes And Fears" (1978).
Track 17 was initially released on Aksak Maboul album "Un Pen De l'Ame Des Bandits" (1979).
Track 18 was initially released on Skeleton Crew LP "Learn To Talk" (1984).
Track 19 is "fairly recent guitar improvisation".
Recorded August 1979 at Norrgarden Nyvla, Uppsala, Sweden and Sunrise Studios, Switzerland. (1 to 6), November 1979 at Catch-a-Buzz Studio, Rockville, Maryland, USA and January 1980 at Sunrise Studios, Switzerland (7 to 13).
Also heard: Toads, Seals, The Renaissance etc. (1 to 6), Aqsak Maboul backwards, the Dogs of Rockville, Rain on the Roof (7 to 13).
Special services, clandestine operations: Chris Blake, D.J. Perry, David Vorhaus.
Many thanks to the Zamlas, Birgitta Hollmer, Eva John, Etienne, Marc, Veronique, Colleen and the Muffins without whose time and generosity this record would not exist; and to Tina who was an indispensable part of it from the start.
Produced with criticism from T. Curran, M. Hollander, V. Vincent and C. Cutler.
In 1937, Curt Sachs wrote of dance, that it represented "the victory over gravity, over all that weighs down and oppresses, the change of body into spirit, the elevation of creature into creator, the merging with the infinite, the divine" which may not have a whole lot to do with this record, but it seemed like a good place to start.
And in 1980, on moving to an apartment in Loisaida, New York, we found the following written indelibly on the kitchen wall: 'NO APAGUEN EL FUEGO DEL ESPIRITU".
Engelsk es die langage internazionale
© ℗ 1990 RecRec Genossenschaft, Zurich, Switzerland.
Licensed for North America by East Side Digital.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 0 21561-8045-2 4
- Matrix / Runout: DADR 0JRM1<1012>ESD80452
Other Versions (5 of 9) View All
|FF 8057-L||Fred Frith||Gravity (LP, Album)||Ralph Records||FF 8057-L||US||1980||Sell This Version|
|RecRec 901||Fred Frith||Gravity (Cass, RE)||RecRec Music||RecRec 901||Switzerland||1991||Sell This Version|
|000008||Fred Frith||Gravity (CD, Album, RE, Unofficial)||G. & P. Essential Music||000008||Russia||Unknown||Sell This Version|
|BELLE 152440||Fred Frith||Gravity (CD, Album, RE, RM, Pap)||Belle Antique||BELLE 152440||Japan||2015||Sell This Version|
|ReCDec 901||Fred Frith||Gravity (CD, Album, RE)||RecRec Music||ReCDec 901||Switzerland||1991||Sell This Version|