|Suite No. 3 In C Major, BWV.1008 For 'Cello Unaccompanied|
|A1||1st Movement: Praeludium|
|A2||2nd Movement: Allemande|
|A3||3rd Movement: Courante|
|A4||4th Movement: Sarabande|
|A5||5th Movement: Bourrée I & II|
|A6||6th Movement: Gigue|
|Suite No. 4 In E Flat Major, BWV.1010 For 'Cello Unaccompanied|
|B1||1st Movement: Prélude (Allegro Maestoso)|
|B2||2nd Movement: Allemande (Allegro Moderato)|
|B3||3rd Movement: Courante (Allegro Non Troppo)|
|B4||4th Movement: Sarabande (Lento)|
|B5||5th Movement: Bourrée I & II|
|B6||6th Movement: Gigue (Vivace)|
Darker sleeve than other version of this release (a slate or charcoal grey, see photos), with darker labels and slightly different runout codes. Inner sleeve is not on a dowel, unlike a similarly light-coloured copy of the Beethoven Violin Concerto No. 1 in this same series (COLH 11; this is not noted one way or another on the other version of this release); is rather a standard Angel Records sleeve, with logo in red above the window, logo text below the window (again, see photos). Label also appears to be similar dark grey. Cover paste-down of release title printed on beige paper inside of stamped gold-foil rectangular frame of the words "Great Recordings of the Century".
Includes twenty-page booklet.
This recording is a reissue of Casals performances originally recorded in the 1930s (see below). Judging from the master numbers, these were originally recorded to 78RPM masters, and have here been reconstructed in the long-playing format. No engineers or producers are credited, although the blurb on the back of the booklet states: "These re-issues have been brought as close to modern fidelity standards as the skill of sensitive engineers could achieve without altering the original."
SUITE No. 3 IN C MAJOR
• Recorded in London on 23 November 1936, by Pablo Casals on master numbers 2EA 4470 to 4475 inclusive.
• First issued in February, 1938 on record numbers DB 3402 to 3404.
• Transferred to LP in Paris in 1957 on master number 2XEA 10125.
SUITE No. 4 IN E FLAT MAJOR
• Recorded in Paris on 13 June, 1939, by Pablo Casals on master numbers 2LA 3115 to 3117, 3124 to 3125, and 3140.
• First issued in July, 1948, on record numbers DB 6538 to 6540.
• Transferred to LP in Paris in 1957 on master number 2XLA333.
Both Suites first issued on LP in July, 1957, on record number COLH 17 in the "Gravures Illustres" series in France. Issued in England in October, 1957 in the "Great Recordings of the Century" series.
On labels: "Pressed in U.S.A."
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Matrix Side A Label): 2 XEA 10125-21 C
- Matrix / Runout (Runout Side A [Stamped]): 2XEA 10125
- Matrix / Runout (Matrix Side B Label): 2 XLA 333
- Matrix / Runout (Runout Side B [Stamped]): 2XLA-333-21B