Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||Running On Empty
Written-By – Jackson Browne
Written-By – Danny O'Keefe
Harmony Vocals – Doug Haywood, Joel BernsteinWritten-By – Donald Miller (2), Jackson Browne
|A4||You Love The Thunder
Written-By – Jackson Browne
Lyrics By [Additional] – Glenn Frey, Jackson BrowneWritten-By – Rev. Gary Davis
Harmony Vocals – Jackson BrowneWritten-By – Daniel Kortchmar*
|B2||Love Needs A Heart
Written-By – Jackson Browne, Lowell George, Valerie Carter
|B3||Nothing But Time
Snare, Hihat, Drums [Cardboard Box With Foot Pedal] – Russell*Written-By – Howard Burke, Jackson Browne
Written-By – Bryan Garofalo, Jackson Browne
Vocals [Rare Vocal Appearance] – David LindleyWritten-By – Maurice Williams
- Record Company – Warner Communications Inc.
- Manufactured By – Elektra/Asylum/Nonesuch Records
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Asylum Records
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Elektra/Asylum Records
- Copyright (c) – Elektra/Asylum Records
- Pressed By – Specialty Records Corporation
- Published By – Swallow Turn Music
- Published By – Wb Music Corp.
- Published By – Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp.
- Published By – Road Canon Music
- Published By – Chandos Music
- Published By – Kortchmar Music
- Published By – Naked Snake Music
- Published By – Vanilla Grits Music
- Published By – Gianni Music
- Published By – Cherio Corp.
- Recorded At – Merriweather Post Pavilion
- Recorded At – Cross Keys Inn, Columbia
- Recorded At – Garden State Arts Center
- Recorded At – Saratoga Performing Arts Center
- Recorded At – Holiday Inn, Edwardsville
- Recorded At – Universal Amphitheatre
- Mixed At – The Sound Factory
- Mastered At – A&M Studios
- Art Direction, Design – Jimmy Wachtel
- Bass – Leland Sklar
- Coordinator [Tour Booked By] – Peter Golden
- Crew [Bus Driver] – Thomas Gustaferro
- Crew [House Mixer] – Jim Bornhorst
- Crew [Monitor Mixer] – Bill "Doc" Gans, Rance Caldwell
- Crew [Road] – Bill Thompson (8), Ed Kolakowski, Eric Deterding, Jan Alahandro, Michael Deterding
- Crew [Truck Driver] – Byron Lisenbee, Jimmy Deluca, Mike "Mountain Boy" Rogers
- Drums – Russell Kunkel*
- Engineer – Greg Ladanyi
- Engineer [Assisted On Hotel And Bus Recordings] – David Hewitt, Mark Salwasser, Norman Mershan*
- Engineer [Assisted On Stage Recordings] – Russell Schmitt, Tom Walsh (3)
- Fiddle, Lap Steel Guitar – David Lindley
- Guitar [Guitars] – Danny Kortchmar
- Keyboards – Craig Doerge
- Lighting [Lighting Crew] – Alan Owen (2), Jim Waits, Kevin Di Piazza
- Mastered By – Bernie Grundman
- Mixed By [Assisted By] – Dennis Kirk, George Ybarra
- Other [Spasmodic Woman] – Joann Madden
- Other [The Kid] – Steven Deluca
- Photography By [Where Noted] – Aaron Rapoport
- Photography By, Photography By [Tour Photographer] – Joel Bernstein
- Production Manager – Donald "Buddha" Miller*
- Production Manager [Tour Manager] – Howard Burke
- Technician [Technical Advisor] – Chris Cabral
- Technician [Thanks To] – Dave Hassinger, Jim Nipar
- Vocals [Singers] – Doug Haywood, Rosemary Butler
- Vocals, Guitar, Piano, Producer – Jackson Browne
Please see label photos for variants — this version has "Side One/Two" above the matrix number on left-side and "Stereo" on right-side.
Full-size booklet included.
A1, B4: Recorded live on stage at Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, Maryland — 8/27/77.
A2: Recorded in room 301 at the Cross Keys Inn, Columbia, Maryland — 8/27/77 (thanks to Pete Wiley); and on stage at the Garden State Arts Center, Holmdale, New Jersey — 9/7/77. For Judy.
A3: Recorded backstage in the big rehearsal room at Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, New York — 9/1/77.
A4: Recorded live on stage at the Garden State Arts Center, Holmdale, New Jersey — 9/6/77.
A5: Recorded in room 124 at the Holiday Inn, Edwardsville, Illinois — 8/17/77.
B1: Recorded in room 124 at the Holiday Inn, Edwardsville, Illinois — 8/18/77.
B2: Recorded live at the Universal Ampitheatre, Universal City, California — 9/17/77.
B3: Recorded on a bus (a Continental Silver Eagle) somewhere in New Jersey — 9/8/77.
Assistance on stage recordings used Showco's 24-track Studer.
Assistance on hotel & bus recordings used N.Y.C. Record Plant's remote truck.
Mixed at Sound Factory, L. A., using the Aphex.
Mastered at A&M.
Lights & Sound by Showco.
Piano supplied by Sound Productions.
Tour booked by Peter Golden for the Wm. Morris Agency.
Many thanks to Elizabeth Reynolds. Thanks always to David Geffen.
℗ & © 1977 Elektra/Asylum Records • A division of Warner Communications Inc.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Label side A): 6E-113-A SP
- Matrix / Runout (Label side B): 6E-113-B SP
- Matrix / Runout (Runout side A, variant 1): 6E-113 A-12 RE SP SRC
- Matrix / Runout (Runout side B, variant 1): 6E-113 B-1 SP 1- SRC
- Matrix / Runout (Runout side A, variant 2): 6Z-113 A-7 RE RE SP
- Matrix / Runout (Runout side B, variant 2): 6E-113 B-1 SP 1- SRC
- Matrix / Runout (Runout side A, variant 3): 6E-113 A-18 RE SP SRC 1-2 SMI-1
- Matrix / Runout (Runout side B, variant 3): 6E-113 B-10 S̶P̶ -6 SRC
- Matrix / Runout (Runout side A, variant 4): 6E 113 A-16 Re SP 1-3 SRC
- Matrix / Runout (Runout side B, variant 4): 6E 113 B-9-SP 1-2 SRC
- Pressing Plant ID (On labels and in runout etchings): SP
- Rights Society: ASCAP
- Rights Society: BMI
Other Versions (5 of 118) View All
|6E-113||Jackson Browne||Running On Empty (LP, Album, PRC)||Asylum Records||6E-113||US||1977||Sell This Version|
|K53070||Jackson Browne||Running On Empty (LP, RE, Sup)||Asylum Records, Nimbus Records||K53070||UK||1985||Sell This Version|
|ET8 113||Jackson Browne||Running On Empty (8-Trk, Album, Yel)||Asylum Records||ET8 113||Canada||1977||Sell This Version|
|7559-60325-2||Jackson Browne||Running On Empty (CD, Album, RE, RM)||Asylum Records||7559-60325-2||Europe||2003||Sell This Version|
|53 070||Jackson Browne||Running On Empty (LP, Album)||Asylum Records||53 070||France||1977||Sell This Version|