Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||Running On Empty
Written-By – Jackson Browne
Written-By – Danny O'Keefe
Harmony Vocals [Harmony] – Doug Haywood, Joel BernsteinWritten-By – Donald Miller (2), Jackson Browne
|A4||You Love The Thunder
Written-By – Jackson Browne
Lyrics By [Additional] – Glenn Frey, Jackson BrowneWritten-By – Rev. Gary Davis
Harmony Vocals [The Author Sings Harmony], Written-By – Daniel Kortchmar*
|B2||Love Needs A Heart
Written-By – Jackson Browne, Lowell George, Valerie Carter
|B3||Nothing But Time
Snare, Hihat [Hi-hat], Drums [Cardboard Box With Foot Pedal] – Russell*Written-By – Howard Burke, Jackson Browne
Written-By – Bryan Garofalo, Jackson Browne
Featuring [Featuring A Rare Vocal Appearance By], Vocals – David LindleyWritten-By – Maurice Williams
- Art Direction, Design – Jimmy Wachtel
- Bass – Leland Sklar
- Coordinator [Tour Booked By] – Peter Golden
- Crew [Bus Driver] – Thomas Gustaferro
- Crew [House Mixer] – Jim Bornhorst
- Crew [Monitor Mixers] – Bill "Doc" Gans, Rance Caldwell
- Crew [Road Crew] – Bill Thompson (8), Ed Kolakowski, Eric Deterding, Jan Alahandro, Michael Deterding
- Crew [Truck Drivers] – Byron Lisenbee, Jimmy Deluca, Mike "Mountain Boy" Rogers
- Drums – Russell Kunkel*
- Engineer – Greg Ladanyi
- Engineer [Assisted On Hotel And Bus Recordings] – David Hewitt, Mark Salwasser, Norman Mershan*
- Engineer [Assisted On Stage Recordings] – Russell Schmitt, Tom Walsh (3)
- Fiddle, Steel Guitar [Lap Steel] – David Lindley
- Guitar [Guitars] – Danny Kortchmar
- Keyboards – Craig Doerge
- Lighting [Lighting Crew] – Alan Owen (2), Jim Waits, Kevin Di Piazza
- Mastered By – Bernie Grundman
- Mixed By [Assisted By] – Dennis Kirk, George Ybarra
- Other [Spasmodic Woman] – Joann Madden
- Other [The Kid] – Steven Deluca
- Photography By [Where Noted] – Aaron Rapoport
- Photography By, Photography By [Tour Photographer] – Joel Bernstein
- Production Manager – Donald "Buddha" Miller*
- Production Manager [Tour Manager] – Howard Burke
- Technician [Technical Advisor] – Chris Cabral
- Technician [With Thanks To] – Dave Hassinger, Jim Nipar
- Vocals [Singers] – Doug Haywood, Rosemary Butler
- Vocals [Uncredited], Guitar, Piano, Producer – Jackson Browne
A2: Recorded in room 301 at the Cross Keys Inn, Columbia, Maryland — 8/27/77 (thanks to Pete Wiley); and on stage at the Garden State Arts Center, Holmdale, New Jersey — 9/7/77. For Judy.
A3: Recorded backstage in the big rehearsal room at Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Sarasota Springs, New York — 9/1/77.
A4: Recorded live on stage at the Garden State Arts Center, Holmdale, New Jersey — 9/6/77.
A5: Recorded in room 124 at the Holiday Inn, Edwardsville, Illinois — 8/17/77.
Any resemblance to persons living or nearly dead...
B1: Recorded in room 124 at the Holiday Inn, Edwardsville, Illinois — 8/18/77.
The author sings harmony.
B2: Recorded live at the Universal Ampitheatre, Universal City, California — 9/17/77.
B3: Recorded on a bus (a Continental Silver Eagle) somewhere in New Jersey — 9/8/77.
B5: The Zodiacs don't mind
Assistance on stage recordings using Showco's 24-track Studer.
Assistance on hotel & bus recordings using N.Y.C. Record Plant's remote truck.
Mixed at Sound Factory, L. A., using the Aphex.
Mastered at A&M.
Lights & Sound by Showco.
Piano supplied by Sound Productions.
Tour booked for the Wm. Morris Agency.
Many thanks to Elizabeth Reynolds.
Thanks always to David Geffen.
Craig Doerge, Russell Kunkel, and Danny Kortchmar appear courtesy of The Section and Capitol Records
Danny Kortchmar also appears courtesy of Dark Horse Records
℗ & © 1977 Elektra/Asylum Records • A division of Warner Communications Inc.
A1, A3, A4, B3: © Copyright 1977 Swallow Turn Music ASCAP.
All rights administered by WB Music Corp.
A2: © Copyright 1971 Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp. and Road Canon Music BMI.
All rights administered by Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp.
A5: © 1968 Chandos Music ASCAP
B1: © 1977 Kortchmar Music ASCAP
B2: © 1977 Swallow Turn Music ASCAP, Naked Snake Music BMI & Vanilla Grits Music BMI.
All rights on behalf of Swallow Turn Music administered by WB Music Corp.
B4: © 1977 Swallow Turn Music ASCAP & Gianni Music BMI.
All rights administered by WB Music Corp. on behalf of Swallow Turn Music.
All rights administered by Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp. on behalf of Gianni Music.
B5: © 1960 Cherio Corp. BMI
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout: Side 1: 850 53070*A*1 (Stamped)
- Matrix / Runout: Side 2: 850 53070*B*1 (Stamped)
Other Versions (5 of 97) View All
|6E-113||Jackson Browne||Running On Empty (LP, Album, PRC)||Asylum Records||6E-113||US||1977||Sell This Version|
|K53070||Jackson Browne||Running On Empty (LP, RE, Sup)||Asylum Records, Nimbus Records||K53070||UK||1985||Sell This Version|
|7559-60325-2||Jackson Browne||Running On Empty (CD, Album, RE, RM)||Asylum Records||7559-60325-2||Europe||2003||Sell This Version|
|53 070||Jackson Browne||Running On Empty (LP, Album)||Asylum Records||53 070||France||1977||Sell This Version|
|6E-113-2||Jackson Browne||Running On Empty (CD, Album, RM, RP)||Asylum Records||6E-113-2||US||Unknown||Sell This Version|