Tracklist Hide Credits
|1-11||Freedom Jazz Dance
Composed By – E. Harris*
Composed By – J. Heath*
|2-3||Limbo (Alternate Take)||5:31|
|2-6||Masqualero (Alternate Take)||7:30|
|2-9||Prince Of Darkness||6:27|
|3-3||Madness (Rehearsal Take)||1:54|
|3-4||Hand Jive (First Alternate Take)||6:45|
|3-5||Hand Jive (Second Alternate Take)||8:00|
|3-7||Madness (Alternate Take)||6:40|
|3-11||Pinocchio (Alternate Take)||5:05|
|4-4||Circle In The Round||33:32|
|4-5||Water On The Pond||7:00|
|4-7||Teo's Bag (Alternate Take)||5:56|
|5-2||I Have A Dream (Rehearsal Take)||6:43|
|5-3||Speak Like A Child (Rehearsal Take)||2:25|
|5-5||Side Car I||5:00|
|5-6||Side Car II||3:34|
|5-8||Country Son (Alternate Take)||14:38|
|5-9||Black Comedy (Alternate Take)||6:23|
|6-4||Tout De Suite (Alternate Take)||14:36|
|6-5||Tout De Suite||14:07|
|6-6||Filles De Kilimanjaro||12:01|
- Manufactured By – Columbia Records
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Sony Music Entertainment Inc.
- Copyright (c) – Sony Music Entertainment Inc.
- Copyright (c) – Miles Davis
- Published By – Jazz Horn Music
- Published By – Sony / ATV Music Publishing
- Published By – Miyako Music
- Published By – Irving Music, Inc.
- Published By – Hancock Music
- Published By – Retrac Productions
- Published By – Tillmon Music Co.
- Published By – Seventh House, Ltd.
- Published By – MJQ Music, Inc.
- Recorded At – Columbia Recording Studios
- Recorded At – Columbia Studios, Hollywood
- Remastered At – Sony Music Studios, New York City
- Art Direction – Arnold Levine, Janet Boye
- Composed By – T. Williams* (tracks: 2-10, 3-4 to 3-6, 5-9, 6-1), H. Hancock* (tracks: 1-4, 2-8, 3-3, 3-7, 3-8, 4-2, 5-2, 5-3), M. Davis* (tracks: 1-6, 1-8, 4-3 to 4-8, 5-5 to 5-8, 6-2, 6-4 to 6-6), R. Carter* (tracks: 1-2), W. Shorter* (tracks: 1-1, 1-5, 1-9, 1-10, 2-2 to 2-7, 2-9, 2-11, 3-1, 3-2, 3-9 to 3-11, 4-1, 5-1, 5-4)
- Liner Notes – Todd Coolman
- Liner Notes [Annotations] – Bob Belden
- Liner Notes [Booklet Consultant] – Charlie Lourie
- Liner Notes [Discography] – Bob Belden, Michael Cuscuna
- Management [Packaging Manager] – Nicholas Bennett
- Mixed By [Remixed From The Original Four-track Tapes] – Mark Wilder
- Performer [Personnel], Bass – Buster Williams (tracks: 2-3), Ron Carter (tracks: 1-1 to 2-2, 2-4 to 6-6)
- Performer [Personnel], Bass Guitar – Ron Carter (tracks: 6-2 to 6-6)
- Performer [Personnel], Celesta – Herbie Hancock (tracks: 4-4)
- Performer [Personnel], Chimes – Miles Davis (tracks: 4-4, 4-5)
- Performer [Personnel], Drums – Tony Williams*
- Performer [Personnel], Electric Piano – Herbie Hancock
- Performer [Personnel], Guitar – Bucky Pizzarelli (tracks: 4-6), George Benson (tracks: 5-1, 5-4, 5-6), Joe Beck (tracks: 4-4, 4-5)
- Performer [Personnel], Harpsichord – Herbie Hancock (tracks: 4-5, 4-6)
- Performer [Personnel], Piano – Herbie Hancock
- Performer [Personnel], Tenor Saxophone – Wayne Shorter
- Performer [Personnel], Trumpet – Miles Davis
- Photography By [Book Front Cover] – Jan Persson (4), Val Wilmer*
- Photography By [Inside Back Cover] – Lee Tanner
- Photography By [Inside Front Cover] – Jan Persson (4)
- Producer – Howard A. Roberts (tracks: 3-10 to 4-2), Irving Townsend (tracks: 1-1 to 1-7, 2-3), Teo Macero (tracks: 1-8 to 2-2, 2-4 to 3-9, 4-3 to 6-6)
- Reissue Producer – Bob Belden, Michael Cuscuna
- Remastered By [Mastered By] – Mark Wilder, Rob Schwartz*
The complete Columbia Studio recordings of the Miles Davis Quintet.
Recorded at the Columbia Studio B, NYC, the 30th Street Studio, NYC, and the Columbia Studios LA between January 20, 1965 and June 21, 1968.
Tracks 1-1 to 1-7 taken from E.S.P., originally released 1965
Tracks 1-8 to 1-11, 2-1, 2-2 taken from Miles Smiles, originally released 1967
Tracks 2-4, 2-5, 2-7 to 2-10 taken from Sorcerer, originally released 1967
Tracks 3-1, 3-6, 3-8, 3-10, 4-1, 4-2 taken from Nefertiti, originally released 1968
Tracks 5-1, 5-7, 6-1, 6-2 taken from Miles In The Sky, originally released 1968
Tracks 6-3, 6-5, 6-6 taken fro Filles De Kilimanjaro, originally released 1969
Tracks 2-11, 3-2, 3-9 taken from Water Babies, originally released 1976
Tracks 5-4 to 5-6 taken from Circle In The Round, originally released 1979
Tracks 2-3, 4-5, 4-6 taken from Directions: Unreleased Recordings 1960-1970, originally released 1981
Track 3-11 taken from The CBS Years 1955 - 1985, originally released 1988
Tracks 2-6, 3-3 to 3-5, 3-7, 4-3, 4-7, 5-2, 5-3, 5-8, 5-9, 6-4 previously unissued.
Track 4-4 previously unissued in full.
On track 5-2 'I Have A Dream (Rehearsal Take)' either George Benson or Joe Beck is added on guitar. The Quintet never completed a take of either of these Hancock compositions (tracks 5-1, 5-2) and never returned to them.
Mastered by Mark Wilder and Rob Schwartz, Sony Music Studios, New York
All compositions by Miles Davis under license from Jazz Horn Music administered by Sony/ATV Songs LLC (BMI)
All compositions by Wayne Shorter under license from Miyako Music, all rights administered by Irving Music, Inc. (BMI)
All compositions by Herbie Hancock under license from Hancock Music Co. (BMI)
All compositions by Ron Carter under license from Retrac Productions, Inc. (BMI)
All compositions by Tony Williams under license from Tillmon Music Co. (BMI)
"Freedom Jazz Dance" by Eddie Harris under license from Seventh House, Ltd. (BMI)
"Gingerbread Man" by Jimmy Heath under license from MJQ Music, Inc. (BMI)
Excerpts from "Miles: The Autobiography" by Miles Davis with Quincy Troupe reprinted with the permission of Simon & Schuster.
Copyright © by Miles Davis.
© 1998 Sony Music Entertainment Inc./Originally Recorded 1967, 1968 Sony Music Entertainmant Inc., Originally Released 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969 Sony Music Entertainmant Inc., ℗ 1976, 1979, 1981, 1988, 1998 Sony Music Entertainment Inc./Manufactured by Columbia Records.
Six discs housed inside a hard back die cut hessian book pack with etched metal spine inside an outer slipcase box.
The 116-page integral booklet contains extensive liner notes, full discography of the time period and photographs.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 0 74646 73982 2
- Mastering SID Code (CD1): IFPI L424
- Mould SID Code (CD1): IFPI 5100
- Matrix / Runout (CD1): DIDP-092699 K4 1B 14
- Mastering SID Code (CD2): IFPI L327
- Mould SID Code (CD2): IFPI 7246
- Matrix / Runout (CD2): DIDP-094762 21
- Mastering SID Code (CD3): IFPI L325
- Mould SID Code (CD3): IFPI 7236
- Matrix / Runout (CD3): DIDP-092701 11
- Mastering SID Code (CD4): IFPI L327
- Mould SID Code (CD4): IFPI 7245
- Matrix / Runout (CD4): DIDP-092702 8
- Mastering SID Code (CD5): IFPI L424
- Mould SID Code (CD5): IFPI 7236
- Matrix / Runout (CD5): DIDP-092703 K4 1B 05
- Mastering SID Code (CD6): IFPI L424
- Mould SID Code (CD6): IFPI 7232
- Matrix / Runout (CD6): DIDP-092704 K4 1B 16
- Rights Society (Publishers): BMI
Other Versions (5 of 7) View All
|C6K 67398||Miles Davis||Miles Davis Quintet 1965-'68 (6xCD, Comp, RM + Box)||Columbia, Legacy||C6K 67398||US||1998||Sell This Version|
|COL 516252 2, 5162522001||Miles Davis||Miles Davis Quintet 1965-'68 (6xCD, Comp, RM + Box, RE)||Columbia, Legacy||COL 516252 2, 5162522001||Europe||2004||Sell This Version|
|MQ10-177||The Miles Davis Quintet||The Complete Studio Recordings Of The Miles Davis Quintet 1965-June 1968 (10xLP + Box, Comp, Ltd)||Mosaic Records (2)||MQ10-177||US||1998||Sell This Version|
|AC6K 67398||The Miles Davis Quintet||The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings (6xCD, Comp, Promo)||Sony Music Entertainment Inc., Columbia Jazz||AC6K 67398||US||1998||Sell This Version|
|88697921582||Miles Davis||Miles Davis Quintet 1965-'68 (Box + 6xCD, Comp, RE, RM)||Columbia, Legacy, Sony Music||88697921582||Europe||2011||Sell This Version|