The Dip Tse Chok Ling Monastery was founded in 18th century Tibet by the Venerable Yongzin Yeshi Gyaltsen, tutor to the eighth Dalai Lama. The lineage of the monastery continued until 1959, when Tibet suffered the devastating Lhasa uprising. Together with over 3,000 other practicing monasteries, Dip Tse Chok Ling was razed to the ground. Fortunately, its inmates managed to salvage many religious artifacts and documents, and escape with them to Nepal. In 1976, the Dip Tse Chok Ling Monastery was reestablished in Dharamsala, India, by Lama Tashi, and construction began in 1984 on the present day monastery. Lama Tashi lived the remainder of his life there, rebuilding and reestablishing the old way of life. Since his passing in 1992, a stupa (memorial) has been built next to the temple. Today, the monastery continues to house numerous monks and students.