|A1||Radio Free Europe (Original Hib-Tone Single)||3:47|
|A2||Gardening At Night (Different Vocal Mix)||3:31|
|A3||Talk About The Passion||3:22|
|A4||So. Central Rain||3:11|
|A5||(Don't Go Back To) Rockville||4:34|
|A6||Can't Get There From Here||4:10|
|B3||Fall On Me||2:49|
|B4||The One I Love||3:17|
|B5||Finest Worksong (Mutual Drum Horn Mix)||3:49|
|B6||It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)||4:07|
- Copyright (c) – I.R.S. Records
- Manufactured By – A&M Records, Inc.
- Distributed By – A&M Records, Inc.
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – I.R.S. Records, Inc.
- Recorded At – Drive-In Studio
- Copyright (c) – I.R.S. Records, Inc.
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – International Record Syndicate, Inc.
- Published By – Night Garden Music
- Published By – Unichappell Music, Inc.
- Band [R.E.M. =] – Bill Berry, Michael Stipe, Mike Mills, Peter Buck
- Design [Righteous Cover Collaboration] – Ron Scarselli
- Other [Additional Inspiration] – Geoff Gans
- Photography By [Band] – Sam Hughes (2)
- Photography By [Front Cover] – Kenneth Garrett, West Light
- Producer – Don Dixon (tracks: A3 to A5), Don Gehman (tracks: B3), Joe Boyd (tracks: A6, B1), Mitch Easter (tracks: A1 to A5), R.E.M. (tracks: A1, A2, B2, B4 to B6), Scott Litt (tracks: B2, B4 to B6)
Manufactured & Distributed By A&M Records Inc.
© 1988 I.R.S. Records [back cover]
℗ 1988 I.R.S. Records, Inc. [spine]
© 1988 I.R.S. Records, Inc. [Insert]
℗ 1988, 1985, 1984, 1983, 1982 International Record Syndicate, Inc. [side A label]
℗ 1988, 1987, 1986, 1985 International Record Syndicate, Inc. [side B label]
A1: recorded spring 1981 at Mitch Easter's Drive-In in Winston-Salem, N.C. Later "made over" for "Murmur." This is the original track released as Hibtone 45 in July 1981. Check "cattle call" vocal available on bootlegs. Mike and Jefferson think this one crushes the other one like a grape. Original version on "Murmur" (sp 70014)
A2: Autumn 1981. Oct. 2, 3, 4, 7, again at Mitch's recorded for "Chronic Town" ep. This is the original vocal take, which was replaced for the ep. written on a mattress in the front yard, now condominiums. Original version appears on "Chronic Town" (sp 70502)
A3: Hunger song. Never played live until recorded for "Murmur" and after that not very often. Finally a single. Trans: how much time. From "Murmur" (sp 70014)
A4: First song written during late 1983 preparations for tour with Let's Active and "Reckoning." Played on David Letterman before it had a title. The vocal for the video was sung live. From "Reckoning" (sp 70044)
A5: Early thrash became country for "Reckoning" as a joke on Bertis. From "Reckoning" (sp 70044)
A6: Philomath is located between Lexington and Crawfordville and used to have its own post office. From "Fables Of The Reconstruction" (irs-5592)
B1: Train song from "Fables" with a train video to match. From "Fables Of The Reconstruction" (irs-5592)
B2: Written long ago (with, errr, "Stumble") just before first trip to northeast as openers on Gang Of Four tour. Used a microsecond in the still despairing Alan Rudolf's 1987 film - "Made In Heaven." From the "Made In Heaven" soundtrack.
B3: From Pageant," sometimes misunderstood but generally in the right direction. Michael likes this one. From "Lifes Rich Pageant" (irs-5783)
B4: This one went to #9, radio, video, etc. From "Document" (irs-42059)
B5: Another song from "Document" that gained horns for 12" and 7" versions. This is the "should-have-been" horn mix had instinct prevailed at the time. Michael likes this one, too. From "Document" (irs-42059)
B6: No its not. Soon to be released in Soviot Union for Greenpeace. From "Document" (irs-42059)
All songs Night Garden Music (Administered all over everywhere by Unichappell Music, Inc.)
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 0 76732-6262-1 4
- Matrix / Runout (Side A label): IRS 8256
- Matrix / Runout (Side B label): IRS 8257
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 1 etched Runout A): <P+TR> IRS-8256-G1A C G1 A3
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 1 etched Runout B): <P+TR> IRS-8257-G1A D G1 A1
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 1 Stamped Runout A): C
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 1 Stamped Runout B): D
Other Versions (5 of 56) View All
|IRS-6262||R.E.M.||Eponymous (LP, Comp)||I.R.S. Records||IRS-6262||US||1988||Sell This Version|
|DMIRG 1038||R.E.M.||Eponymous (CD, Comp)||I.R.S. Records||DMIRG 1038||UK||1988||Sell This Version|
|B0024996-01||R.E.M.||Eponymous (LP, Comp, RE)||I.R.S. Records||B0024996-01||US||2016||Sell This Version|
|IRSD-6262||R.E.M.||Eponymous (CD, Comp, Club)||I.R.S. Records||IRSD-6262||US||1988||Sell This Version|
|IRSD-6262||R.E.M.||Eponymous (CD, Comp, Club, RE)||I.R.S. Records||IRSD-6262||Canada||Unknown||Sell This Version|