Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||–The Durutti Column||Sketch For Summer||2:58|
|A2||–The Durutti Column||Requiem For A Father||5:06|
|A3||–The Durutti Column||Katharine||5:26|
|A4||–The Durutti Column||Conduct||4:59|
|B1||–The Durutti Column||Beginning||1:37|
|B2||–The Durutti Column||Jazz||1:35|
|B3||–The Durutti Column||Sketch For Winter||2:22|
|B4||–The Durutti Column||Collette||2:20|
|B5||–The Durutti Column||In 'D'||2:25|
|AA1||–Martin Hannett||First Aspect Of The Same Thing
Written-By – Martin Hannett
|AA2||–Martin Hannett||Second Aspect Of The Same Thing
Written-By – Martin Hannett
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Factory Records (5)
- Copyright (c) – Factory Records (5)
- Published By – Movement Of 24th January
- Recorded At – Cargo Studios
- Mixed At – Strawberry Studios
- Mastered At – The Sound Clinic
- Pressed By – Lyntone Recordings Ltd. – LYN 7561
- Pressed By – WEA Records Pressing Plant, West Drayton
The sandpaper cover comes in various editions (3,600 editions altogether):
1. With spray-painted FACT 14 in black (this)
2. With spray-painted FACT 14 in white
3. With spray-painted title in black
4. Without spray-paint
Recorded over three days in August 1979 on 8-track equipment at Cargo, Rochdale.
Mixed at Strawberry, Stockport.
Published by Movement of 24th. January Music.
A Factory Records Product
Thanks also to Gammer for his melody and Rowbotham, Reid and Debord for the marketing concept.
It was Tony Wilson who had the idea for the cover, following Situationist Guy Debord's book "Mémoires" also wrapped in sandpaper to destroy the adjacent books. Gammer refers to N.H. Gammer, founder of Gammer And His Familiars, Reilly's first band. Rowbotham refers to Dave Rowbotham, the former DC founder and guitarist. Reid refers to Jamie Reid, who apparently wanted to title the first Sex Pistols album "Where's the Durutti Column?"
The covers were assembled by Joy Division, A Certain Ratio and others. While Ian Curtis did the glueing, the other members of Joy Division watched a porn movie in the same room.
In 'D' is in fact another version of Sketch For Winter.
Reissued in July 1980 with a black picture sleeve but without flexi.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Side A - variation 1): FACT 14 4 PBG A1 SOUND CLINIC EG S-6
- Matrix / Runout (Side B - variation 1): FACT 14 PBG B1 EG S-3
- Matrix / Runout (Side A - variation 2): W-2 FACT 14 4PBG A1 SOUND CLINIC EG
- Matrix / Runout (Side B - variation 2): S-4 FACT 1̶4̶ ̶B̶1̶ 14PBG B1 EG
- Matrix / Runout (Side A - variation 3): FACT 14 4 PBG A1 W1 SOUND CLINIC EG
- Matrix / Runout (Side B - variation 3): S-6 FACT 14PBG B1 EG
- Matrix / Runout (Flexi): LYN 7561
Other Versions (5 of 33) View All
|FACT 14||The Durutti Column||The Return Of The Durutti Column (LP, Album, Promo, RP, W/Lbl)||Factory||FACT 14||UK||1986||Sell This Version|
|FBN 114||The Durutti Column||The Return Of The Durutti Column (LP, Album, RE + 7", RE, Cle)||Factory Benelux||FBN 114||UK||2018||Sell This Version|
|FACT 14, FACT 14C||The Durutti Column||The Return Of The Durutti Column (LP, Album, No + Flexi, 7", S/Sided)||Factory, Factory||FACT 14, FACT 14C||UK||1980||Sell This Version|
|FACOZ 1002||The Durutti Column||The Return Of The Durutti Column (LP, Album, W/Lbl)||GAP Records||FACOZ 1002||Australia||1981||Sell This Version|
|23JAL-1||The Durutti Column||The Return Of The Durutti Column (LP, Album)||Factory, Japan Record||23JAL-1||Japan||1984||Sell This Version|