Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||These Are The J.B.’s Pt. I And Pt. II||5:50|
|B2||When You Feel It Grunt If You Can
Written-By – Art Neville, Gene Redd*, George Porter Jr.*, James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Joseph Modeliste, Kool & The Gang, Leo Nocentelli
- Art Direction – Errol F. Richardson
- Bass – William "Bootsy" Collins*
- Congas – Johnny Griggs
- Drums – Clyde Stubblefield (tracks: A1, B2 (the latter probably)), Frank "Kash" Waddy* (tracks: A2, B1, B2 (the latter possibly))
- Engineer [Original Sessions] – Ron Lenhoff
- Engineer [Restoration], Remastered By – Dave Cooley
- Flute, Baritone Saxophone – St. Clair Pinckney* (tracks: A1)
- Guitar – Phelps "Catfish" Collins*
- Liner Notes – Alan Leeds
- Organ – James Brown (tracks: A2)
- Piano – Bobby Byrd (tracks: B1)
- Producer [Original Sessions] – James Brown
- Reissue Producer – Eothen Alapatt
- Tenor Saxophone – Robert McCullough*
- Trumpet – Clayton "Chicken" Gunnels*, Darryl "Hasaan" Jamison*
Includes a 12 page book of liner notes by Leeds and Egon and many unpublished photographs and ephemera.
Originally scheduled for release in July 1971 as King SLP 1126. Produced by James Brown. Engineered by Ron Lenhoff.
"The Grunt" recorded May 19, 1970, at King Studios, Cincinnati, Ohio; "I'll Ze" and "When You Feel It Grunt If You Can" recorded June 30, 1970, at Starday Studios, Nashville, Tenn.; "These Are The J.B.'s" recorded September 9, 1970, King Studios, Cincinnati, Ohio.
"When You Feel It Grunt If You Can" includes portions of "Let The Music Take Your Mind", written by Kool & The Gang and Gene Redd Jr.; "Chicken Strut", written by The Meters; "Power Of Soul", written by Jimi Hendrix.
The originally scheduled issue of this album included overdubbed crowd noise. For this issue of the album, the original, undubbed two-track stereo mix was used as source.
Durations might not be accurate since they're taken from the "test press approval form" as printed in the 12-page book coming with this release.
Printed on the back of the sleeve and center labels:
℗ 2014 Universal Records, a Division of UMG Recordings, Inc.
© 2014 Now-Again Records.
Printed on the book:
(P) 2014 Universal Records, a Division of UMG Recordings, Inc.
(C) 2014 Universal Records, a Division of UMG Recordings, Inc.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 6 59457 51191 3
- Barcode (Scanned): 659457511913
- Matrix / Runout (Runout side A): B0021302-01 / NA5119 A2 GUY'S ELECTRIC
- Matrix / Runout (Runout side B): B0021302-01 / NA5119 B2
Other Versions (3 of 3) View All
|1126, KS-1126||The J.B.'s||These Are The J.B.'s (LP, Album, TP)||King Records (3), King Records (3)||1126, KS-1126||US||1971||Sell This Version|
|NA 5119, B0021302-01||The J.B.'s||These Are The J.B.'s (LP, Album, Ltd, RP)||Now-Again Records, Universal Music Special Markets||NA 5119, B0021302-01||US||2015||Sell This Version|
|none||The J.B.'s||These Are The J.B.'s (4xFile, AAC, Album)||Universal Records||none||US||2015|