|1||–Seleshe Damessae*||The Eldest Of All (The Nile)||3:37|
|2||–Seleshe Damessae*||A Family Quarrel On Sunday||3:17|
|3||–Seleshe Damessae*||If You Come, Come; If You Go, Go||2:10|
|4||–Kirk Sutphin||John Brown's Dream||1:40|
|5||–Kirk Sutphin||Let Me Fall||2:26|
|6||–Kirk Sutphin||Yellow Rose Of Texas||1:58|
|7||–Kirk Sutphin||Oh My Little Darling||2:40|
|8||–Tony Ellis (4)||The Wild Fox||1:54|
|9||–Tony Ellis (4)||Wind Chimes And Nursery Rhymes||2:32|
|10||–Tony Ellis (4)||Cherry Blossom Waltz||2:44|
|11||–Tony Ellis (4)||Hand In Hand||4:14|
|12||–Seamus Egan||Bird In The Tree||2:32|
|13||–Seamus Egan||Charleston / Mason's Apron||6:08|
|14||–Seamus Egan||Lark In The Morning Medley||5:46|
|15||–Laurie Lewis and Dudley Connell||The Lover's Return||4:15|
|16||–Carroll Best||The Johnson Boys||1:59|
|17||–Carroll Best||McMitchen's Reel||2:07|
|18||–Carroll Best||Say Old Man, Can You Play The Fiddle?||1:44|
|19||–Will Keys||Mississippi Sawyer||2:21|
|20||–Will Keys||Sweet Fern||3:30|
|21||–Will Keys||On My Mind||3:05|
|23||–Ralph Stanley||Nobody's Love Is Like Mine||2:11|
|24||–Ralph Stanley||I Just Think I'll Go Away||2:53|
|25||–Ralph Stanley||Children, Go Where I Send Thee||2:31|
|26.1||–Ralph Stanley||I Got A Mule To Ride|
|26.2||–Ralph Stanley||Rocky Island|
|26.3||–Ralph Stanley||Shout Lulu|
- Banjo – Carroll Best (tracks: 16 to 18), Kirk Sutphin (tracks: 4 to 7), Ralph Stanley (tracks: 23 to 26.3), Tony Ellis (4) (tracks: 8 to 11), Will Keys (tracks: 19 to 22)
- Banjo [Irish Tenor] – Seamus Egan (tracks: 12 to 14)
- Bass – Jimmy Trivette (tracks: 4 to 7, 16 to 26.3)
- Edited By [Digital Edit By] – Dave Glasser*
- Fiddle – Laurie Lewis (tracks: 4 to 7, 16 to 26.3)
- Fiddle [Second] – Kirk Sutphin (tracks: 17), Tony Ellis (4) (tracks: 24)
- Flute – Seamus Egan (tracks: 11)
- Guitar – Dudley Connell (tracks: 4 to 7, 16 to 26.3), John Doyle (2) (tracks: 11 to 15)
- Lead Vocals – Dudley Connell (tracks: 23, 24), Jimmy Trivette (tracks: 21)
- Liner Notes – Joe Wilson (6)
- Lyre [Krar] – Seleshe Damessae* (tracks: 1 to 3)
- Other [Tour Director And Mc] – Andy Wallace (7)
- Other [Tour Organization] – Julia Olin
- Other [Tour Producer] – Joe Wilson (6)
- Photography By [Cover] – Jesse Winch
- Producer [Recording Produced By] – Andy Wallace (7), Joe Wilson (6)
- Recorded By – Steve Fisher (14)
- Vocals – Dudley Connell (tracks: 4 to 7, 19 to 26.3), Laurie Lewis (tracks: 4 to 7, 19 to 26.3)
- Vocals, Mandolin – Tony Ellis (4) (tracks: 23 to 26.3)
- Voice [Low] – Tony* (tracks: 25)
Live performance digital recordings from the Masters of Banjo tour, organized by the National Council for the Traditional Arts.
Cover photo: 89 year old Willard Watson of Watauga County, North Carolina: banjoist, flatfoot dancer, timber man, mountain farmer, carpenter, toy maker, dependable neighbor and keeper of good jokes. [...] This recording is dedicated to Willard and Ora Watson with love and with respect. Photo was made by Jesse Winch at Galax, Virginia in 1972.
Recorded direct to DAT two track for the NCTA Archives. Digital edit at Airshow. Major tour support from the Lila Wallace Reader's Digest Fund and the Folk Arts Program at the National Endowment for the Arts.
Recording sites: 1, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 21, 23 and 24 at Montgomery County Community College, Blue Bell, PA, Nov. 14, 1993. No. 5, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20 and 22 at Smith Opera House, Geneva, NY, Nov. 11, 1993. No. 2 and 6 at the Grand Opera House, Wilmington, DE, Nov. 6, 1993. No. 7 and 25 at the Smith-Baker Center, Lowell, MA, Nov. 7, 1993. No. 8 and 26 at the Maryland Center for the Creative Arts, Annapolis, MD, Nov. 13, 1993. No. 4 at Baird Auditorium, Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C., Nov. 12, 1993.
Tony Ellis appears courtesy of Flying Fish Records.
Seamus Egan appears courtesy of Shanachie Records.
Laurie Lewis and Dudley Connell both appear courtesy of Rounder Records.
Ralph Stanley appears courtesy of Friedland Recording Co.
Copyright © & ℗ 1994 by Arhoolie Production, Inc.
(Cover) Printed in Canada.
All three variations of the catalog number appear on the release:
CD 421 on the spine and back cover;
CD-421 on the CD, and
421 on the front cover.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 096297042120
- Matrix / Runout: ARH 421 MASTERED BY NIMBUS