Tracklist Hide Credits
Written-By – Dwayne*
Written-By – Phil Western
|5||–Doubting Thomas||Zxy World
Recorded By – D. R. Goettel*, cEvin Key
|6||–The Tear Garden||Georgie The Parasite
Recorded By – Anthony Valcic, The Legendary Pink Dots, cEvin Key
|7||–Dead Voices On Air||Glae Bastards
Performer – Mark Spybey
Mixed By – Tom Ellard
Written-By, Recorded By – D. R. Goettel*
|12||–The Tear Garden||Message 3
Recorded By – Anthony Valcic, The Legendary Pink Dots, cEvin Key
- Published By – Subconscious Birdwatcher
- Licensed From – Sub-Conscious Communications
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Nettwerk Productions
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Sub-Conscious Communications
- Copyright (c) – Nettwerk Productions
- Manufactured By – Nettwerk Records Inc.
- Marketed By – Nettwerk Records Inc.
- Glass Mastered At – EMI MFG.
- Mastered By, Edited By [Assembled] – Anthony Valcic
01. aDuck - Power: Side a of the original Subconcous 001 12". Power was written by Dwayne at home in 1992.
A duck is the solo project of Dwayne Goettel inspired by the early releases of Aphex Twin and other artists in the now [then] exploding European/UK electronic scene. Two examples of Goettel's pounding techno mayhem appear on Paradigm Shift: "Power", which originally surfaced on the rare Subconscious debut Power in 1993, and "Burnout", a previously unavailable work. A full length aDuck release to be compiled from material completed by Goettel's before his death is currently in the planning stages.
02. Philth - Touched: Side b of the Subconscious 001 12". Touched was written by Phil Western aka cap'm stargazer.
Philth is Download member Phil Western, who has also worked under the names Cap'm Stargazer, Off & Gone and Floatpoint (the latter two in partnership with Dan Handrabur), and has had material released on a wide variety of cutting edge electronic labels including Harthouse, Exist Dance, Map Music and ESP Records. "Touched" originally appeared on the flipside of aDuck's Power12" single.
03. Download – Zonk Linft: Unreleased track recorded mid 1995 at Subconscious 2 months prior to Dwayne’s death, during the furnace sessions.
Download began in 1994 as a series of late night jams between cEvin Key, Dwayne Goettel and friends, and evolved into a fully fledged project following the demise of Key’s and Goettel’s previous main concern, Skinny Puppy. “Zonk Lift” was recorded with the band’s original line-up of Key, Goettel and Philth during the 1995 sessions that produced their debut album, Furnace (Cleopatra/Off Beat) Download are currently  working on a new album [called III] for release in the spring which will be supported by a series of live dates that will surely rival their already legendary tours of Europe and North America that followed 1996’s album, The Eyes Of Stanley Pain.
04. Plateau – Grasshopper: Unreleased track. Debut album Music For Grass Bars available on Hypnotic Records Feb.97 (also DJ 12”)
Plateau is a new Subconscious signing of which very little is known, save that the driving force behind it (him? her? them?) seems to be the enigmatic Green Guy. Influenced in equal parts by the minimalism of Detroit house and the atmosphere of Amsterdam grass cafes, plateau makes its (his? her? their?) debut on this compilation with the trancey groove of “Grasshopper”. PlateaU may join Download on tour in 1997
05. Doubting Thomas – zxy World: Unreleased track. Recorded in 1988 in Toronto by cEvin key and D.R. Goettel during VIVIsectVI / S.P. sessions.
Doubting Thomas was initiated in 1987 by cEvin Key and Dwayne Goettel to encompass their non-Skinny Puppy compositions. An album, entitled The Infidel, and accompanying single (Father Don't Cry) were released in 1991 on Wax Trax! Records, and these same sessions produced the two tracks which appear on this collection, “ZXY World” and “Blowfish Remix” (the latter remixed by Tom Ellard of Severed Heads). Key, Valcic and Marshall are in the process of compiling both old and new Doubting Thomas material for a future Subconscious release.
06. The Tear Garden – Georgie the Parasite: Unreleased track. Recorded during To Be An Angel Blind, The Crippled Soul Divide sessions. A collaboration between Legendary Pink Dots and cEvin Key / Anthony Valcic.
The Tear Garden is cEvin Key and Edward Ka-Spel, along with members of Ka-Spel’s full-time band, The Legendary Pink Dots, and other friends. Over 10 years and 5 releases, the infrequently convened collective has developed a truly original combination of of deep psychedelia and melancholy beauty, most recently in evidence on their 1996 effort To Be An Angel Blind, The Crippled Soul Divide. “Georgie…” and “Message 3” were recorded during the same sessions as the album and provide two different but similar views of the project
07. Dead Voices On Air – Glae Bastards: Unreleased track. Performed by Mark Spybey with his strange array of toys on 4 track in 1995.
Dead Voices on Air is Mark Spybey’s solo project away from Download. Formed in 1993, DVOA has released material on Cleopatra, Invisible and G.R.O.S.S. (Japan). The track “Glae Batards” is a fine example of Spybey’s unique improvisation approach to his self-described “music for eyes”. DVOA’s most recent release, How Hollow Heart... (Invisible), is the first in a planned series of releases culled from an April, 1996 collaboration with New York “illbient” DJ Sheldon Drake (now a permanent member of the project’s live line up) and members of Toronto’s techno-brats Kinder Atom (Hypnotic/Cleopatra).
08. Kone – Beflapia: Unreleased track. North Vancouver’s own basement aggro techno group. More to come.
09. Doubting Thomas – Blowfish: Unreleased track. Created in 1989 during the The Infidel sessions. An impromptu mix by Tom Ellard of Severed Heads.
10. aDuck – Burnout: Unreleased track. Ahead of its time when recorded by D.R.Goettel at home. This was “the duck” and his music.
11. Skinny Puppy – Melt: Unreleased track. Skinny Puppy always ended their LPs with instrumental pieces. This track is part 3 of the Download / Cellar Heat Trilogy.
SKINNY PUPPY is the group which began most of the projects featured on Paradigm Shift. Through 13 years of blood, noise and barely-controlled madness, Puppy defined an entire genre and produced a discography that few have even come close to matching. The band collapsed in 1995, but as we all know, old Puppies never die. “Melt” is a new track assembled by Key, Valcic and Marshall. Chaotic and experimental in nature, it acts as a stylistic sequel to such tracks as “Download” (the track, not the band) from 1992’s Last Rights and “Cellar Heat” (The Process, 1995). Future Puppy plans include a remix album and two sampling CDs that will allow electronic musicians easily (and legally) pillage and plunder the SP back catalogue for source material.
12. The Tear Garden – Message 3: Unreleased track. Outtake from To Be An Angel Blind, The Crippled Soul Divide sessions. Recorded in late 1995 at Subconscious Studios.
Subconscious Communications is a Vancouver-Based record label, musician collective, remix team, 32-track digital, and analogue synthesizer museum. Originally established as Subconscious Records in 1993 by Dwayne Goettel (at the time a member of Skinny Puppy) for the release of a limited edition 12” single by his solo techno project aDuck, it was revived and slightly renamed in 1995 by Goettel and his bandmate, cEvin Key, for the release of material by their new Download project. Following Goettel’s death in August of the year, Key continued the operation of Subconscious along with Anthony Valcic, Phil Western and an extended crew of collaborators and friends that include Mark Spybey, Ken Marshall and Dave Ogilvie.
Assembled and mastered 1996 °Subconscious Studios.
Published by the Subconscious Birdwatcher Music 1996
Paradigm Shift is the tenth release from Subconscious, and it is a compilation that fully represents the past, present and future of the label. It also acts as a tribute of sorts to the label’s late founder. Not only does Goettel appear on half of the album’s tracks, but he had also intended to use the phrase “paradigm shift” as a title for one of his works at some point in the future. Sadly, that future was cut short, but the title was adopted for this project in his honour, and under that banner appear a dozen unreleased/unavailable tracks from members of the Subconscious family.
Subconscious Communication is a record label / recording studio / analogue synthesizer collection / publisher / film score and remix team
Published by Subconscious Communications Birdwatcher Music 1997. Licensed from Subconscious Communications 1997
All songs ℗ 1997 Subconscious Communications except #1 and #2 1993 Subconscious Communications. © 1997 Nettwerk Productions. Manufactured and Marketed by Nettwerk Records Inc.
Made in USA.
Comes in standard jewel case with blue tray.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Printed): 0 67003 01102 0
- Mastering SID Code: IFPI L043
- Matrix / Runout: 067003011020 MASTERED BY EMI MFG. 1-1-3
Other Versions (2 of 2) View All
|0 6700 30110 2 0, sub 012||Various||Paradigm Shift (CD, Comp)||Nettwerk, Sub-Conscious Communications||0 6700 30110 2 0, sub 012||Canada||1997||Sell This Version|
|O-79, SPV 086-43462, CD 086-43462||Various||Paradigm Shift (CD, Comp, Dig)||Off Beat, Off Beat, Off Beat, Sub-Conscious Communications||O-79, SPV 086-43462, CD 086-43462||Germany||1997||Sell This Version|