Various – Southern Journey Volume 8: Velvet Voices - Eastern Shores Choirs, Quartets, And Colonial Era Music
Tracklist Hide Credits
|1||–Charles Barnett||Run To Jesus For Refuge
Vocals, Percussion [Washtub] – Charles Barnett
|2||–Ed Young & Hobart Smith||Joe Turner
Banjo – Hobart SmithFlute [Cane Fife], Vocals – Ed Young
|3||–Bessie Jones, Hobart Smith & Georgia Sea Island Singers||The Titanic
Guitar – Hobart SmithLead Vocals – Bessie Jones
|4||–Silver Leaf Quartet||Witness For My Lord
Vocals – Ellis McPherson, Melvin Smith (4)
|5||–Silver Leaf Quartet||Dark Day|
|6||–Silver Leaf Quartet||The Very Same God|
|7||–Silver Leaf Quartet||Gospel Train|
|8||–Nat Rahmings, Hobart Smith & Ed Young||I Got A Home
Banjo – Hobart SmithDrums – Nat RahmingsFlute [Cane Fife] – Ed Young
|9||–Bright Light Quartet||Hey, Hey, Honey
Guitar, Vocals – Robert BeaneLead Vocals – Shedrick CainVocals – Arnold Fisher, James Campbell (4), Laurence Hodge
|10||–Bright Light Quartet||Menhaden Chanteys: Evalina/Promised Land/Bitin' Spider
Vocals – James Campbell (4), Laurence Hodge, Robert BeaneVocals [Bass] – Arnold Fisher
|11||–Nat Rahmings With Hobart Smith & Ed Young||Walk On The Bay
Drums, Vocals – Nat RahmingsFlute [Cane Fife] – Ed YoungGuitar – Hobart Smith
|12||–Bright Light Quartet||I'm Tired|
|13||–Bright Light Quartet||Just Beyond The River|
|14||–Bright Light Quartet||Christian Automobile|
|15||–Belleville A Cappella Choir||John The Revelator
Leader – Caleb Garris
|16||–Willis Proctor & Georgia Sea Island Singers||Walk, Billy Abbott
Lead Vocals – Willis Proctor
|17||–Peerless Four||How Could I Live|
|19||–Peerless Four||Trouble In My Way|
|20||–Peerless Four||I'm A Soldier In The Army Of The Lord|
- Art Direction, Design – Luzzi Limited
- Engineer [Sound Restoration], Producer [Mastering Producer] – Steve Rosenthal
- Executive Producer [Series Compilation, Research & Editing], Compiled By – Andrew L. Kaye
- Executive Producer [Series Compilation, Research & Editing], Compiled By, Liner Notes – Matthew Barton
- Executive Producer [Series Coordinator] – Bill Nowlin
- Mastered By – Phil Klum
- Producer [Collection Producer] – Anna L. Chairetakis, Jeffrey Greenberg*
- Producer [Production Assistance] – Marion Jacobson
- Recorded By [Assistant] – Shirley Collins
- Recorded By, Photography – Alan Lomax
Track 2 rec. 28/4/1960 Williamsburg, VA.
Tracks 3, 16 rec. 4/1960 St. Simon's Island, GA.
Tracks 4 to 7 rec. 4/1960 Ark, VA.
Tracks 8, 11 rec. 5/1960 Williamsburg, VA.
Tracks 9, 10, 12 to 14 rec. 4/1960 Weems, VA.
Track 15 rec. 30/4/1960 Belleville, VA.
Tracks 17 to 20 rec. 3/5/1960 Norfolk, VA.
Mastered at The Master Cutting Room, NYC.
Tracks 1, 2, 7, 8 & 16 previously unreleased.
Ⓟ & © 1997 Rounder Records Corp.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 0 11661-1708-2 7
- Matrix / Runout: IFPI L791 154581-2XD1-7153-A *ROCD1708*
- ASIN: B0000002UP