In 1872, the Cathedral appointed John Stainer as Organist. He proposed to found a choir of 40 boys and 18 men (or Vicars Choral), requested more rehearsal time for the Vicars Choral as well as a more professional approach altogether, thus sowing the seeds of today's musical tradition.
The current Cathedral Choir consists of 30 choristers (boy trebles), eight probationers (who will become choristers) and 12 professional adult singers (or Vicars Choral): four altos, four tenors and four basses. Andrew Carwood is its Director of Music since 2007.
Former Masters of the Choristers include, amongst others, John Redford (1534-1547), Martin Peerson (1626-1642), Michael Wise (1687), John Blow (1687-1703), Jeremiah Clarke (1704-1707), Charles MacPherson (1916-1927), Sir John Dykes Bower (1936-1968), Barry Rose (1977-1984) and John Scott (10) (1990-2004).