The group was originally formed as The Mascots (7)
in Canton, Ohio in 1958 by gospel duo Eddie Levert (b. June 16, 1942) and Walter Williams (b. August 25, 1943). Also featuring William Powell, Bobby Massey and Bill Isles, The Mascots made their recording debut in 1961 with "Miracles." The group made quite an impression on Cleveland D.J. Eddie O'Jay, who played their single often and gave them career advice. In return, they paid tribute to him by renaming themselves The O'Jays.
Inducted into Rock And Roll Hall of Fame in 2005 (Performer).