She is the wife of Florin Ochescu whom she married in 1993. Previously, she was married to Mircea Dumitrescu. Between 1983-1987, Silvia formed a singing duo with former husband Mircea Dumitrescu. They were both students of Mihaela Runceanu.
She debuted in 1985 at ''Festivalul Naţional de muzică uşoară Mamaia '85'' where she won First Prize with a song by famous romanian composer Marius Ţeicu. She became very popular in 1988 when she began her collaboration with famous romanian composer Adrian Enescu. A year later she began another successful collaboration with romanian composer Doru Căplescu. She has worked with many romanian notable songwriters such as Dani Constantin, Mircea Drăgan, Cătălin Tîrcolea, Virgil Popescu, Florin Ochescu, Mihai Grigoriu.
As of 2017 she released 9 albums :
- Cred în tine (Electrecord, 1990) (album)
- Provocare (Intercont, 1995) (album)
- Colinde româneşti şi internaţionale (Intercont, 1995) - cu Dana Bartzer, Dan Creimerman şi Artanu
- Încrederere (G&S, 1998) (album)
- Miracol infinit – Best of (Casa Radio, 2005) (compilation)
- Best of Silvia Dumitrescu (Ovo Music, 2010) (compilation)
- Fiorul Iubirii (Eurostar, 2015)
- Să vină Moş Crăciun (Eurostar, 2016)
- Cred în tine - In memoriam Adrian Enescu (Eurostar, 2017)