Reginald Newman (1909-1990) joined the Australian Army in 1950 after service with the British Army and secondment to the Canadian Army during World War 2. He was initially bandmaster of The Central Command Band
in Adelaide. In 1951 he was appointed Director of Music and given the charter to organise a proper training and operating structure for Army bands. His term saw the establishment of the Army School of Music in 1953, the creation of the Australian Army Band Corps in 1968 and the conversion of bands from brass bands to military bands during the 1960s. He was awarded the MBE for his services and retired in 1971.