Originally formed in 1896 as the Edison Quartet to record for Edison Records. The group changed its name to The Haydn Quartet to record for other companies. It was one of the most popular close harmony quartets in the early twentieth century. Their name was a homage to Joseph Haydn. The group disbanded in 1914, but their records continued to be repressed for another decade, albeit with the name changed to Hayden Quartet.