b. December 30, 1938 (Washington, D. C., USA)
d. December 28, 2012 (Silver Spring, MD, USA)
• One of bluegrass music's best known and most influential Dobro™ players.
•1967, first professional job: Cliff Waldron and Bill Emerson's band "The New Shades of Grass."
•1971, was an original member of The Seldom Scene.
• 1993, formed new band called Chesapeake with Jimmy Gaudreau, Moondi Klein and T. Michael Coleman.
• A top studio musician, he has recorded with Linda Ronstadt, Hank Williams, Jr., Emmylou Harris, James Taylor and Ry Cooder.
• Learned Dobro™ after hearing "Uncle Josh" Graves. Bought his first Dobro™ from Graves for $150.
• In high school, played with a group called the "South Mountain Boys."
• Also a graphic artist. Designed several of the Seldom Scene's early album covers as well as the logo for Bluegrass Unlimited magazine.
• Nickname: "Larry the Legend."
• 1998, toured with Lyle Lovett.
• 1999, formed "Auldridge, Bennett and Gaudreau" with Jimmy Gaudreau and Richard Bennett.
•2001, recorded an album with Jim Heffernan and Hal Rugg called "Resocasters."
•2007, was presented with an IBMA Distinguished Achievement Award.
•2012, received the National Endowment of the Arts National Heritage Fellowship - the nation's highest honor in folk and traditional arts.
•2012, died of prostate cancer on December 29.
- 56 Vocals
- 169 Instruments & Performance
- 31 Writing & Arrangement
- 4 Featuring & Presenting
- 5 Production
- 3 Visual
- 3 Acting, Literary & Spoken