He was born April 11, 1940 Sieghartskirchen/NÖ, Austria
Helmut Plattner is one of the founding fathers of the Jazz scene in his native Niederösterreich, the largest of Austria’s federal provinces. Together with friends from the Wachau & Tullnerfeld regions, in the early 1960’s he had a major part in setting up a Jazz club in Krems, about 40 miles from Vienna.
He shaped many bands in the Krems region–among them the Courthouse Jazzband and the legendary Studio Combo–, but he also made his mark in the jazz scene of the Austrian capital, where he was a welcome guest in Vienna’s foremost traditional bands: the Barrelhouse Jazzband, the Blue Note Six, the Red Hot Pods and the Storyville Jazzband and Atlas (4), to name just a few.
Not satisfied with this achievements alone, during the 1960’s he had–obviously not without the help of his wife Erika, who happened to have played the guitar in the Studio Combo, but meanwhile had switched her focus to Classical Music–fathered and raised three children, all of whom turned out to have a proclivity to music, in particular to jazz. The next step predictably was to incorporate his offspring into musical projects, and eventually to unleash the ultimate Austrian family band: the first of international renown since the Trapp family of ‘Sound Of Music’ fame, and certainly the first ever in Austrian jazz: Plattner & Plattners Jazz Corporation.
The original edition of that ensemble comprised the domestic front line of Helmut Plattner (trumpet), the younger son Bernhard (trombone) and the elder son Christian (clarinet & alto saxophone). In the rhythm section there were two old friends from Krems: Gereon Wolter (banjo & piano) and Peter Bauer (double bass); and Leslaw Tenczar on drums. At least in the formative years, the stylistic emphasis remained on Traditional Jazz of all varieties–Dixieland, New Orleans & Chicago Jazz, intermingled with brief excursions into Swing & Bebop.