Then renamed to Optimal Media GmbH. Formerly operating as Optimal Tonträger Produktionsgesellschaft mbH.
Name variations as found on this profile:
- Optimal Media Production
- Optimal Mediaproduction GmbH
XY#####-ZZ (e.g. B847793-01)
(Single letter format identifier, followed by single character year identifier, followed by a 5 digit numeral code, followed by an appended two digit disc numbering).
X is the format identifier:
"A" = CDs
"B" = Vinyl records
"D" = DVDs or Blu-ray Discs
Y is the manufacture year identifier.
For releases manufactured between 1997 and 2009 it is a single number (0 to 9).
For releases manufactured since 2010 it is a single letter (A to Z).
The numbers 7, 8 and 9 are ambiguous and can mean either year:
7 = 1997 or 2007
8 = 1998 or 2008
9 = 1999 or 2009
0 = 2000
1 = 2001
2 = 2002
A = 2010
B = 2011
After the 5 digit numeral code, the 2 digit disc numbering (ZZ) can be found, which starts at "01".
On multi disc releases the last digit usually incrementally rises by 1 for each disc. (Example: Disc 1 = 01, Disc 2 = 02, etc.)
CD: A785283-01 manufactured by optimal media production
DVD: DA98810-01 manufactured by optimal media production
Vinyl: B847793-01 A1
Notes on CDs/DVDs:
• CD and DVD releases additionally carry a "manufactured by optimal media production" string next to the matrix number.
• If the production was done for a manufacturing broker (e.g. Handle With Care), the string often is replaced with the name of the broker.
• The plant's mastering SID codes were: iƒpi / ifpi / IFPI L571, L572, L573, L574
Notes on Vinyl records:
• The matrix number can be either machine stamped or hand etched.
• If initials of a mastering engineer (see the list below) appear next to the matrix number, you can also enter the Lacquer Cut At role for Optimal Media GmbH.
• If there are no mastering engineer initials present, the mastering / lacquer cutting was done externally.
• Due to the nature of the hand etching, the B (format identifier) might be mistaken for a 3, an 8 or a D. The numeral 1 can be mistaken for a 7.
• Vinyl releases additionally carry the side positions along with an additional digit, next to the matrix number (see the example below).
• There are sometimes additional, faintly inscribed "geometric" marks. These are added during plating, and are therefore mirrored. They consist of a digit and a symmetrical symbol such as +, =, △. Enter these with the runout string in their non-mirrored form (e.g. "1=") and note this in the description field (e.g. "1= mirrored").
Notes on the manufacture date:
• The year of manufacture in some cases may not be equal to the release year.
• The actual release date can be the same year of manufacture or the following year (e.g. manufactured in Dec. and released in Jan.)
• The release date cannot be earlier than the year it was manufactured though (there can be certain exceptions though).
• Do not derive a release year from the manufacturing date code alone.
Notes on entering the matrix number in the LCCN fields (for Vinyl = Pressed By):
• Please only enter the "XY#####" part, without the appended disc numbering: This is the internal "article number".
• If a release shows 2 or more of these numbers (e.g. multi-format releases), please enter each in a separate field.
Attention: Do not confuse the Universal Records catalog number scheme with the vinyl matrix scheme of Optimal Media!
Universal Records catalog numbers can be easily distinguished by the zeros after the B:
• Releases until roughly mid 2007: B000####-XX (B followed by three zeroes, followed by 4 digits)
• Releases since 2007: B00#####-XX (B followed by two zeroes, followed by 5 digits)
(-XX is the release format, e.g. "01" for an LP, "02" for a CD, "11" for a 12" vinyl single).
Mastering/cutting engineers employed at Optimal Media Production:
HL (2) (Heino Leja)
TW (5) (Thorsten Wyk)
Relevant history and production starting dates:
01 October 1997: Renamed to Optimal Media Production GmbH (from "optimal" Tonträger Produktionsgesellschaft mbH, founded in December 1990).
1998: Start of the Printing and Service Centre.
1999: Production start of DVDs.
2000: Start of the DVD Authoring studio.
September 2007: Production start of the VinylDisc.
01 October 2011: New company name: Optimal Media GmbH.