• alienboy about 1 year ago

Just read that the selling fee is rising to 9% and even better it will now apparently be applied to the shipping costs as well. Considering the shipping cost for a not so expensive record can sometimes be the same as the price of the actual record, this is "please insert a swear word".

https://www.discogs.com/selling/updates/selling-fee-update-2023/

Finally I really like the following quote: "This increase will help us continue to devote resources to maintaining the Discogs Marketplace and develop better tools for collecting, selling, and enjoying music."

This must be satire in its purest form.
    Cheers!
  • avvy about 1 year ago

Oh great I'm going to have to put my postage costs up even more. I think I'll be stick to the Ebay reduced fee weekends from the end of May, sales have been poor here this year as it is.
  • Sandal-Records about 1 year ago

Sandal-Records edited 11 months ago
    Well that's unfortunate. Not entirely unexpected though.
  • wrongek about 1 year ago

I cannot criticize the increase itself as absolutely everything has gone way up in the past two years, but each and every sentence in that announcement is bullshit.
  • massenmedium about 1 year ago

First thought (in terms of cost) is I think I'd look at bumping postage prices for lower value orders but above £40 or so it's more abosorbable.
  • ObSaint about 1 year ago

ObSaint edited about 1 year ago
    Cynical way to disguise a much larger increase in fees when a fee for the postage element is taken into account.

For example :

Cd sold for GBP 5.00 ... postage GBP 1.50 ... presently , fee of 8% on GBP 5,00 = 40p ( Ignore VAT for this calculation ).

After 22 May , same transaction ... fee now 45p + 13p = 58p.

18p increase divided by 40p times 100 = 45% ... an 1 % increase announced before factoring in the postage element.

Even higher when VAT is factored in on the Discogs fee.

Add on the PayPal fee increase as either / both the selling price and postage element rise to compensate ... a never ending calculation to achieve a workable balance in order to maintain sales.

One to ponder on for a long time ?

Especially when a seller wants to receive a return in percentage terms similar to that currently available before the 22 May.

massenmedium edited about 1 year ago
    They've provided some figures using typical shipping prices, e.g. the suggested increase for a £10 order = 5.5%, 2.8% on a £50 order etc.

The good side of that is it levels the playing field with sellers who have been shifting prices to shipping.

It's not announced as a 1 percent increase though, it's a 1 percentage point increase. From 8 to 9 the increase is 1/8=12.5%.

If I sell a 9 € LP with 9 € shipping cost then it's more than a 100% increase for me.
  • Metalman2 about 1 year ago

massenmedium
    The good side of that is it levels the playing field with sellers who have been shifting prices to shipping.

If as a buyer you could search by 'total price including shipping' that wouldn't have even been a problem.

massenmedium
    They've provided some figures using typical shipping prices, e.g. the increase for a £10 order = 5.5%, 2.8% on a £50 order etc.

On a 50 € item the fee goes from 4 € to 4.50 €, which is indeed a 12.5% increase, and that's not taking into account the part of the fee taken out of the shipping cost.

So yeah, it's 1% of item price, but 12.5% of fee previously paid on same cost of item.

Metalman2
    If as a buyer you could search by 'total price including shipping' that wouldn't have even been a problem.

It's a problem for Discogs because all the sellers listing items for 1c plus 10€ shipping are paying zilch in fees.

Metalman2

Less of a problem in terms of comparing offers, but even where the total was the same or similar Discogs was always "losing out" on a £3 item + £7 shipping versus £7 item + £3 shipping.
  • Discophilie about 1 year ago

The fee on the shipping rate is what always infuriated me most about ebay. It really is a pity that discogs does the same thing now.

Sometimes people from overseas buy a record for 10€ and accept a 24€ shipping-rate, simply because they can't get it anywhere near them, it happens more often than one might think. The increase for such a sale will not be 1%, but 22,6% instead.
    I will have to see how to approach this, but to take fees on the shipping rate is a most disappointing move for me.

wrongek
    So yeah, it's 1% of item price, but 12.5% of fee previously paid on same cost of item.

You're right. The figures are suggested price increases. Still looking at it as 50c in a €50 order and decreasing proportionally as order values go up I think it's not too shocking.

wrongek
    It's not announced as a 1 percent increase though, it's a 1 percentage point increase. From 8 to 9 the increase is 1/8=12.5%.

If I sell a 9 € LP with 9 € shipping cost then it's more than a 100% increase for me.

And their suggestion is that everyone increases their prices by that amount! So they get more due to the commission rate rising by 12.5% and then even more on top by everyone (they hope) raising their prices.

And all because 'these efforts have ensured a trusted international marketplace' with no fraudulent activity whatsoever.

Personally I'm no longer going to buy or sell on Discogs
  • Blackpapercrown about 1 year ago

wrongek
    It's a problem for Discogs because all the sellers listing items for 1c plus 10€ shipping are paying zilch in fees.
    No. There is ... a minimum fee of $0.10, on each completed sale.
  • petitesphere about 1 year ago

I know this is cloud cuckoo land but I think this is a response to the sellers “loading” the shipping costs to avoid fees, now here comes the cloud cuckoo bit, it’s a pity it couldn’t somehow be only applied to sellers charging above average postal costs, or a reduction in the percentage but applied to the total cost including shipping.

I wonder. Were they going to send this announcement to every seller or just let us find out via the forum?

The problem for me is that 99% of my orders are international so I'm looking at an additional 1 € or so per order, even those where item cost is 10 € and previous fee was 8c.

Oh, and since I'm paying 25% VAT on fees, my total will jump from 10% of item price to 11.25% of whole order value...

Blackpapercrown
    No. There is ... a minimum fee of $0.10, on each completed sale.

I stand somewhat corrected. :)
  • VinylSite.Records about 1 year ago

It's a shame and this is even applied to shipping costs and the advice they give you is "increase prices" as if they weren't high enough that you have to increase them more. cheeky
    adding the commission to shipping costs a fabulous increase
    They claim that in Europe they send an item for 30 euros, a disaster and they will see the mistake they make

VinylSite.Records edited about 1 year ago
    As they see that taxes, paypal etc. also go on shipping costs, they were also encouraged to collect them. Ebay will be filled with sellers because few are sold here. in many cases they DOUBLE THE COMMISSION for all this with scammers included.
    And on top of that they add "You are still free to list items for sale." haha something they give you. On top of that, they also communicate "we never increase the rates in 10 years" of course if your rate is added to the enormous increase in prices of articles 2,3, 4 and I don't know how many times more

If this fee increase keeps Discogs afloat then I am happy with it.
  • Discophilie about 1 year ago

I could have lived better with a 2% raise, but no percentage on the shipping rate.
    That really feels like a shitty move and an indecently factored increase through the backdoor.
    The casual way they're throwing this at us in their update does not help with the frustration, either.
  • AficionadoVinyl about 1 year ago

Blackpapercrown
    I wonder. Were they going to send this announcement to every seller or just let us find out via the forum?

Yeah, amazing that we have to find out via the forums!

This little nugget could mean they might start charging to list items in the future though :(

"It is still free to list items for sale."
  • ObSaint about 1 year ago

ObSaint edited about 1 year ago
    Blackpapercrown
    If this fee increase keeps Discogs afloat then I am happy with it.

Doesn't need a crystal ball to predict a fall off in sales as prices rise to compensate for the increased fees... nor sellers / buyers looking to deal off Discogs to avoid the higher costs ?

Looking across at other online marketplaces ... Amazon / EvilBay / Musicstack / CdandLp ... the introduction of a fee on the postage element was only a matter of time ... very lucrative for them provided that online sales do not fall too far.

VinylSite.Records edited about 1 year ago
    Let discogs know in case you haven't found out from your research that if you want to charge for listing items, only those with expensive and highly sought after items that they know will sell will pay. the other articles disappear. Apart from the volume of purchases, now with the increases it will be less. In my case, with more than 1000 purchases, I will hardly buy. TO PAY EVERYTHING DOUBLE, purchase orders of hundreds of euros will end. The impact will be felt throughout. They are more concerned with fees and increases than with the pirates and scammers who are wreaking havoc
  • SchusterBach about 1 year ago

Discogs says.....
    There’s no immediate effect on buyers. However, you might see different prices in the Marketplace moving forward if sellers decide to adjust their costs

For sure there will be a impact on buyers....The prices will increase because sellers will find a way to cover the fees, with the 9% fee on shipping cost.

Sandal-Records
    Well that's unfortunate. Not entirely unexpected though.
    Time to increase our postage prices by 11% and item prices by 1.2%

Sounds about right
  • avalon67 about 1 year ago

avvy
    stick to the Ebay reduced fee weekends from the end of May,

Indeed. I've been getting 70% off my ebay fees every other weekend this year. Last few years has been 80% off and sometimes £1 or £3 maximum. Only available to private sellers I'm guessing.

9% + vat = 10.8%, more than ebay's regular fees anyway.

Age related incompetence
  • panoptikon about 1 year ago

Blackpapercrown
    find out via the forum?

That just happened.

Blackpapercrown edited about 1 year ago
    avalon67
    9% + vat = 10.8%, more than ebay's regular fees anyway.
    Nope. 10.8% is less than ebay's 12.8% + 30p https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees-managed-payments-sellers?id=4822
    As an example, an £8.99 total sale today on ebay cost me £1.45 in fees = 16.1%

Blackpapercrown
    Nope. 10.8% is less than ebay's 12.8% + 30p

Not when you add the 2.9% paypal fee on top (which is charged on the sale, postage and taxes combined)

Metalman2
    Not when you add the 2.9% paypal fee on top (which is charged on the sale, postage and taxes combined)
    Percentages are always going to be skewed when there is a fixed cost element but the fees between Discogs and ebay are aligning.

Market forces will dictate which platform sellers will prefer.

Blackpapercrown
    ebay's 12.8%

Ah, didn't realise ebay had put their prices up. I only list when there's a deal on.
  • defunktrecords about 1 year ago

Most disappointing to see discogs try and take money from shipping when shipping costs can be very different depending on the service used and most sellers take into account packing (which as we all know has skyrocketed in price recently) when making their shipping prices.
    Yet more top down profiteering from a company that was built on it's users' time and efforts.
    I thought Discogs was better than this.
  • easy_street about 1 year ago

This will really kill small orders, where the postage is equal or sometimes larger than the item cost.
    Example:
    Today, if I sell a 8€ CD with 8€ shipping, my fee is 0.80€.
    After May 22, it will be 1.80€, more than double the amount.
    Calculated on the item price, it is a 22.5% fee.
    I already raised my minimum order amount to 8€, but will need to raise it again. Probably to 20€.
    Will Discogs be informing the buyers that the days of ordering a single cheap CD or LP are over?

defunktrecords
    Most disappointing to see discogs try and take money from shipping when shipping costs can be very different depending on the service used and most sellers take into account packing (which as we all know has skyrocketed in price recently) when making their shipping prices.
    Yet more top down profiteering from a company that was built on it's users' time and efforts.

I agree. Shipping is a fixed, unavoidable cost. Even if you charged exactly to the penny what the mail company charged, you're losing money thanks to the fee.
  • dunforthemoment about 1 year ago

defunktrecords

If there's another way to monetise database aggression, we're all listening.
  • EzraZebra about 1 year ago

EzraZebra edited about 1 year ago
    After the change, calculate your shipping like this, where S is the total amount you want left of shipping after fees: S / (1-fee%). So for example, for $5 shipping with a tax rate of 20%, that's $5 / (1-0.108) = $5.61. Fees for that are 5.61x0.108 = 0.61 so you're left with $5.

After that, the only change is fees on item prices go from 9.6% to 10.8%, which isn't nothing either.
  • vormloos about 1 year ago

Surprised it didn't happen sooner given the rising costs in general. though including the fees on shipping is odd. why would they want to profit on postage, packaging materials and seller's time? a listing fee would make more sense imo.
  • summermelodies about 1 year ago

I guess the way to reduce your selling costs is to offer "free" domestic shipping, that is, increase your selling price to include the cost of postage.
  • defunktrecords about 1 year ago

dunforthemoment
    monetise database aggression,

I have no idea what these words mean.
  • petitesphere about 1 year ago

summermelodies
    I guess the way to reduce your selling costs is to offer "free" domestic shipping, that is, increase your selling price to include the cost of postage.

Could you give an example as currently I’m thinking 9 percent of 4+2 is the same as 9 percent of 6.
  • kjmacphee about 1 year ago

Whilst it is understandable that fees would increase after such a long time at the same level, this is potentially a foolish move. Going up to 9% would have been fine in my eyes, but charging on postage is the issue.

Currently Discogs' fees (in the UK for domestic orders at least) are 9.6% of item + 2.9% of total order + £0.30. eBay is 12.8% of total order + £0.30. New Discogs' fees are 13.7% of total order + £0.30.

Discogs were palpably cheaper to sell on compared to eBay, who are easily their biggest direct competitor for non-professional sellers. With this change, Discogs will overnight be more expensive to sell on than eBay. That's a huge impact in competitiveness. And that's before you get to eBay's "70% off" promos every 2 weeks (admittedly limited to 100 items only) that reduce their fees to 3.84% + £0.30.
  • Dr.SultanAszazin about 1 year ago

Dr.SultanAszazin edited about 1 year ago
    [Nothing left here, I missed something, so I spawned unfounded criticism]

I would avoid a listing fee. It's really not attractive to pay a price just for listing an item. It would mean you pay the price, regardless of a sale. It would mean a drastic reduction in offered records. Especially the more obscure stuff.

vormloos
    why would they want to profit on postage, packaging materials and seller's time? a listing fee would make more sense imo.

It stops the shipping price loaders. Alternative would be caps on shipping prices, or a fee on anything over a limit (not a bad idea.)

A listing fee would stop the relisting abusers. I don't think there's an easier solution to that. I'd be OK with that, but we got what we got.

massenmedium
    It stops the shipping price loaders. Alternative would be caps on shipping prices, or a fee on anything over a limit (not a bad idea.)

I doubt there is any intention like that in the fee change.
    I hope the extra fees will be used for extra personnel. I mean, one database manager for the complete community??? Is not enough. SR's are often handled late, and also often in a hasty manner, without really looking deep into the matter. (Opens doors for manipulative SR's and causes unrightful bans etc.)

Dr.SultanAszazin
    What matters is that all prices need to be updated manually

There are new inventory tasks to bulk change prices.

Dr.SultanAszazin
    I doubt there is any intention like that in the fee change.

I doubt it's not part of it.

But yes, I want them to get the resources they need to make the database and marketplace work better. And I don't think it's BS that it's been costly dealing with all the tax stuff and now they need to get a handle on the scamers.

kjmacphee
    And that's before you get to eBay's "70% off" promos every 2 weeks (admittedly limited to 100 items only) that reduce their fees to 3.84% + £0.30.

100 items a month is well within most current discogs sellers limits. I think the fee reduction promos are for private sellers only so I can see a lot of smaller sellers moving there and all who'll be left on Discogs is the big outfits who can easily absorb a hike in fees due to volume of sales.

I've personally listed a few items on ebay today after removing them from sale here. Shame.

Metalman2
    100 items a month is well within most current discogs sellers limits.

You can only *list* 100 every promo period. And they need to sell within a certain timeframe for the promo rate to apply (can't remember but might be 30 days off the top of my head). That's going to be a problem for most sellers.
  • moltencore about 1 year ago

Again, an American based company making decisions for customers based worldwide. Sure adding the 9% fee for shipping is no big deal for sellers in the USA shipping within the USA with Media Mail rates, but for a seller like myself, in Canada, the 9% fee on shipping is really going to hurt. Canadian postage rates are high enough already, now to have to add another 9% on top of that to be able to cover the actual Canada Post postage costs? Thanks Discogs for helping destroy my business.

kjmacphee
    Currently Discogs' fees (in the UK for domestic orders at least) are 9.6% of item + 2.9% of total order + £0.30. eBay is 12.8% of total order + £0.30. New Discogs' fees are 13.7% of total order + £0.30.

Useful. Not what I wanted to see but still under a 1%. And does ebay have an equivalent of Paypal's lower rates for some card payments? That will adjust it somewhat.

I also find a big advantage here is the shipping policies and orders with multiple items (even with just a 1000 or so listings). That might be partly my cluelessness when it comes to ebay but it seems easier to do here.

massenmedium
    There are new inventory tasks to bulk change prices.

Yes, that's good; Didn't read that part (yet). 🤦

massenmedium
    And does ebay have an equivalent of Paypal's lower rates for some card payments?

Dunno ... I imagine they do not though as it's all done through Managed Payments irrespective of which payment processor the buyer actually used. Maybe I've been 'unlucky' but I've only had one card payment out of 90 orders.

massenmedium
    I also find a big advantage here is the shipping policies and orders with multiple items

Notwithstanding the appalling implementation of ASP, I prefer it to eBay. Here you set up your countries into regions and then add your shipping methods under that. On eBay you have the method first and then the regions. Which means you have to set up the whole country structure again and again. Not fun as RM keep complicating the various EU/World zones. Setting policies for multiples items is basically impossible too.

Anyway, I still believe that Discogs being a bit cheaper than eBay for selling was a sensible bit of market positioning. Making yourself more expensive than the 800lb gorilla may be hubris in extremis.

kjmacphee
    Making yourself more expensive than the 800lb gorilla may be hubris in extremis.

Maybe Discogs sees the light soon, and offers digital purchases through affiliations with multiple file release platforms (Bandcamp, Qobuz, individual labels, ...)
    It would be the only platform that centralizes file purchases and combines it with physical purchases too, both new & 2nd hand.

Where would you start searching for that particular recording?

kjmacphee
    Not fun as RM keep complicating the various EU/World zones.

Maybe prepare a Breturn?
  • kurts.ear.candy about 1 year ago

Just adding fees to the shipping costs should have been enough to generate a whole lot more cash for discogs and also discourage the practice of low prices with high shipping costs as the work around for fee avoidance by these types of sellers.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
  • ZzzirK about 1 year ago

kurts.ear.candy

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Greedy sods smh...
  • la-trading about 1 year ago

I am requesting an option to exclude int'l shipping for selected items. I don't think you can do this at the moment?

created a new thread under "development" here https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/1008467
  • Martymet about 1 year ago

I ship to only the US and Canada. I ran the numbers to see how this would affect me, and it is effectively a 25% increase in fees (from 8% to 10%). Sellers with lots of international shipping expenses will see a significantly greater impact. To offset this increase, I will increase my shipping prices to account for the higher fees.
  • westcoastca about 1 year ago

I'm already losing money on shipping. This isn't good.
    I'm shutting down my store for now.
  • DarreLP about 1 year ago

I’m OK with this if, in return, discogs is investing in improving things. But I am skeptical of that.
  • Serpent_Eve about 1 year ago

westcoastca

Weird.
    New fees come into effect as of 22 May.

The only information I have is in this thread. Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like I'll be having a blowout sale these next few weeks.
  • eddiel about 1 year ago

I figured we were due for a fee increase but I hoped they would avoid taking a % of the postage for awhile longer. At least they aren't taking a % of the sales tax, yet.

Whether they use some of this increase in fees to invest in more features for buyers and seller remains to be seen. Apart from regulatory changes, they've done very little to improve the buying and selling experience IMO.
  • OnTheAnd about 1 year ago

I wonder what all that money will be spent on, cuz it's not on staff or database development.

Seriously though, as someone who already has to eat high shipping costs for most things - this is going to pretty much finish me off in terms of buying, unless it's something really special. I wonder if some of the Megasellers will pass this rise onto their customers, or absorb it? Cuz those accounts are still offering some extremely competitive international shipping.

30% off all cassettes and CDs shipped to Canada and USA.
  • stevies45s about 1 year ago

Don't despair anyone. USPS rates go up again in a couple months. heh

Seriously, I understand the business decision of applying the selling fee to shipping, but I have qualms beyond the obvious increase in costs. (And yes, the added costs suck.)

One, this change is happening rather fast, and anyone who has a kind of system for figuring out how to price items and/or shipping is going to have to update their system. Kind of hard to fit that in with other tasks (including necessary outdoor property upkeep this time of year) in a mere three weeks. And I personally start jury duty the same day this kicks in. I may actually have to close my store down for a while to handle all the back-end rethinking this will trigger.

Two, I sell old vinyl from many eras, genres and styles, so it's not like I can simply raise prices in a flat manner to maintain the same income like I'm a unique distributor of new product. My items have to compete in the market they are individually in. (On the bright side, anyone underpricing their items to avoid fees may tend to make adjustments and thus make my items relatively more competitive.)

Three, all these increases from different directions are ultimately going to make collecting unattractive, and I wonder when buyers seriously start giving it up. I mean, what is the breaking point?

(Btw, if any of the above comes off as whining, you're right, it definitely is, but they are legit whines, trust.)
  • kurts.ear.candy about 1 year ago

This is priceless ...

You can keep track of an item’s median price by checking the Statistics section on a release page (or the Sales History in the Discogs app).

With all the gaming and scamming going on lately the numbers in the sales history have become more meaningless than they ever have.
  • OnTheAnd about 1 year ago

So.. where's the new place to sell and buy going to be then? :)

DarreLP
    if, in return, discogs is investing in improving things. But I am skeptical of that.

They should know there's going to be less room for goodwill if we don't see some good things happening.

stevies45s
    I sell old vinyl from many eras, genres and styles, so it's not like I can simply raise prices in a flat manner to maintain the same income like I'm a unique distributor of new product.

I'd say it's the other way round for the most part. The market for collectibles or just OOP stuff has quite a bit more flexibility than new stock IMO. Most sellers selling new stock don't have exclusivity on it.
  • ZyzzyBK about 1 year ago

westcoastca
    I'm already losing money on shipping. This isn't good.

westcoastca
    30% off all cassettes and CDs shipped to Canada and USA.

So, NOT shutting down your store for now...got it.
  • BarnyardOrbit about 1 year ago

BarnyardOrbit edited about 1 year ago
    stevies45s
    this change is happening rather fast

At least we're not finding out about this after the fact! (thanks alienboy)

It would seem the original intent was for this to be effective March 8 (note the summary on each of the latest three "seller update" articles here). The "FAQ" appears to have been posted on January 20(!), but apparently it took an inadvertent discovery by the OP to even bring this to light...? The other two articles were either posted (or updated) just yesterday, April 30, but again rather curiously both mention "March" in their summaries...

Edit: All articles now say "May" in their summaries and the FAQ is now dated May 1. Also just received a DM, so evidently staff does read the forum!

stevies45s
    anyone who has a kind of system for figuring out how to price items and/or shipping is going to have to update their system

Also covered by one of the "updates"...

ZyzzyBK
    westcoastcoryI'm already losing money on shipping. This isn't good.

westcoastcory30% off all cassettes and CDs shipped to Canada and USA.

So, NOT shutting down your store for now...got it.

I'll shut it down when the changes take effect. I hope you understand now.

stevies45s
    Three, all these increases from different directions are ultimately going to make collecting unattractive, and I wonder when buyers seriously start giving it up. I mean, what is the breaking point?

(Btw, if any of the above comes off as whining, you're right, it definitely is, but they are legit whines, trust.)

I definitely agree with the timeframe being far too short especially as this "announcement" was not sent to every Seller but simply a web post.

That said, I honestly don't think any of these changes affect Buyers or Collectors. If they want something bad enough, they will buy it. The price of everything in this world is increasing so vintage vinyl should not be an exception. This is more a hassle & issue for Sellers (loos of profits, extra work to xchange pricing, etc.) that is generally transparent to Buyers.

westcoastca
    I'll shut it down when the changes take effect. I hope you understand now.

And yet, when you made your OP about shutting down, your listings were offline (I checked LOL) & then someone pointed out it takes effect May 22 & you relisted.

So, okay...

You're on to me. I feel stupid now.

westcoastca
    You're on to me. I feel stupid now.

Don't feel stupid. You're just another in a long line of hypocrite Sellers who consistently complain about Discogs & threaten to leave but in the end never do. I've seen it with the ASP Kerfuffle & the PayPal Panty Bunch.

I mean, why relist? Why give a site you clearly believe sucks any more money for the next 3 weeks? Why not just delete your store & move on?

BarnyardOrbit
    Also covered by one of the "updates"...

My back-end systems and approaches can only be updated by me, myself and I. The new capability of changing prices by a percentage may have some use, but for me, it's very limited.
  • Ceekay_1 about 1 year ago

wrongek
    I cannot criticize the increase itself as absolutely everything has gone way up in the past two years, but each and every sentence in that announcement is bullshit.

what you understand wrong is, it's a percentual fee. so when prices rises they earn more from itself. absolutely no need to rise a percentage level.
  • maxwelll about 1 year ago

It's uncool to get rich off shipping costs and pretend you're some kind of community. like any honest seller, discogs should admit that they have an interest in increasing their profits. I just can't get rid of the feeling of being lied to.

Ceekay_1
    so when prices rises they earn more from itself. absolutely no need to rise a percentage level.

As opposed to.... a flat increase? I think most people consider it fairer to pay more as you earn more. Even the Brits rioted over that kind of thing.
  • Ceekay_1 about 1 year ago

einfach mal 12,5 % Erhöhung
    bei einer prozentualen Gebühr, also die sowieso sich erhöht, wenn die Verkaufspreise steigen.
    und auf Porto war vorher keine Verkaufsgebühr? ja dann... wird sich das mit günstigen einzelnen CDs wohl erledigt haben.

ZyzzyBK
    Don't feel stupid. You're just another in a long line of hypocrite Sellers who consistently complain about Discogs & threaten to leave but in the end never do. I've seen it with the ASP Kerfuffle & the PayPal Panty Bunch.

I concur generally but my hunch is this particular big change will do more to drive away sellers than those two big changes. I mean, this change ends fee avoidance, and any seller who can't deal with that will go (and maybe good riddance, but still). Also, some migration back to ebay makes at least some mathematical sense.

OnTheAnd
    So.. where's the new place to sell and buy going to be then? :)

Etsy? They have a pretty reasonable fee structure, take payments from more than just PayPal, and they have a significant vinyl records listing (still paltry compared to Discogs but that could change).
  • Jayfive about 1 year ago

Oh boy did I ever sell most of my record collection at the right time.

Well if they are going to include shipping costs in fees then start incentivising offering low or free postage. Start by arranging items for sale as lowest to highest total+p&p by default. Offer fee discounts on anything sold with zero postage.

stevies45s
    I concur generally but my hunch is this particular big change will do more to drive away sellers than those two big changes.

I don't disagree, but I also don't think it will have any significant impact - just as the other two big changes didn't. This change puts Discogs in line with every major platform for selling records online. Sellers will spend the next few weeks - like with ASP & PayPal - adamantly stating they are done & Discogs is dead & they are leaving, but in the end, the vast majority will stay.

Yes, the increase sucks. Yes, Discogs needs to be doing MUCH more to modernize this site. But honestly, a decade without any fee increase & no fees on shipping is a lifetime in eCommerce & Discogs is simply finally catching up.

Let's hope that they also catch up with some BOH Tech.

ZyzzyBK
    westcoastcoryYou're on to me. I feel stupid now.

I mean, why relist? Why give a site you clearly believe sucks any more money for the next 3 weeks? Why not just delete your store & move on?

and miss out on quality interactions like this one?
  • Jayfive about 1 year ago

stevies45s
    Etsy?

…have an initial per item listing fee. You’re down before you even sell anything.

Jayfive
    Offer fee discounts on anything sold with zero postage.

Aren't they already touting free postage as a way to save on fees? ;-)

Discogs’ new selling fee is 9% of the item and shipping costs – so if you offer free shipping, the resulting selling fee will be smaller.

stevies45s
    Etsy?

In addition to the recurring listing fee, the traffic really isn't there. I make zines & Etsy is one of the go-to sites for zine Sellers & we're all currently discussing how bad sales are on Etsy. The listing fee is taken every 4 months if the item is not sold. Granted the fee is 6.5% which is taken from item price + shipping which is lower than Discogs, but reality is Etsy really doesn't have much overall traffic for anything other than Pinterest Stuff.

westcoastca
    and miss out on quality interactions like this one?

LOL.

You'll be selling here long after May 22.

ZyzzyBK
    westcoastcoryand miss out on quality interactions like this one?

LOL.

You'll be selling here long after May 22.

I will never read another one of your posts.

None of these sites will be reducing fees any time soon. It'll be ebay's turn to increase the squeeze soon enough.

massenmedium
    Aren't they already touting free postage as a way to save on fees? ;-)

Discogs’ new selling fee is 9% of the item and shipping costs – so if you offer free shipping, the resulting selling fee will be smaller.

But then you have to increase the cost of the item to compensate. So they get the exact same cut as before .

Meanwhile your more expensive item appears further down the list when people search for a particular release which still defaults to 'price without shipping costs' (and we all know they won't ever change that)
  • serch4beatz about 1 year ago

well, it was fun while it lasted, but this usury has gone far enough.
  • faterror about 1 year ago

Fees on the shipping costs that are not part of the service of the platform? That's not even really legal. What moron makes decisions like that?
    On ebay they fell for it really badly. But even there it was noticed and this change was withdrawn.

With Discogs, something has to really burn for you to turn on your head here.

Only one word: STUPID!

Btw: funny that Disocgs is explaning that all with "we did a big work".... hmnope.... the user did that and Discogs made a change to Paypal which nobody wants. ... Making fails but let the users (workers) pay...

Hey Discogs: Don't fuck with the basement!