• ultimathulerecords 10 months ago

This recent message from Discogs shows they have no idea how marketplace sellers have to work, as to offer "free shipping" is impossible...

The new fee is 9% of the item and shipping costs, so if you offer free shipping, the resulting fee will be smaller – and sellers on Discogs who offer free shipping typically see higher order values.

Average order size is 2.1 times higher on domestic orders with free shipping and 3.5 times higher on international orders. But don’t just believe us – almost 90% of collectors on Discogs consider buying additional items from a seller to decrease shipping costs, according to a 2023 survey.

There are no mail services that offer a free service. Also, shipping costs are expensive these days, especially internationally. In all cases of "free shipping" offered via Ebay and Amazon the actual shipping cost has been factored into the cost of the items for sale. Thus "free shipping" is actually a ruse.

Shifting the fee from shipping to being included in the item price will mean exactly the same charges via Discogs.
  • Wolpertinger_Records 10 months ago

I read that as 'offer free shipping above x amount to get larger sales' which may work for some. 20 Dollar discount on a 120 Dollar order doesnt seem completely crazy but not sure how others would handle that
  • ObSaint 10 months ago

• CopaseticMailorder 10 months ago

Thanks for the brilliant advise Discogs. Here's one for you: lower your fees to - let's say 0.5%. The sellers will be able to lower the prices. More vinyl will be sold. More sellers will join Discogs. More buyers will follow and even more vinyl will be sold. That's fantastic. The best idea in the world. Let's go Discogs it's your turn now
  • loukash 10 months ago

Making cannabis legal in Orgeon probably wasn't such a great idea, after all… :D
    Either that, or the Discogs management has already begun to smoke much heavier stuff.
  • thomas.j.bollinger 10 months ago

loukash
    Making cannabis legal in Orgeon probably wasn't such a great idea, after all… :D

ROFL :D
  • Laszlo23 10 months ago

loukash
    begun to smoke much heavier stuff

Must be Full Oregon Flake with a blend of Lebanon slightly bitter on the tongue
  • gislao 10 months ago

I offered free shipping on orders above certain amount at some point. Until I realized how bad business that was.
  • loukash 10 months ago

Laszlo23
    Must be Full Oregon Flake with a blend of Lebanon slightly bitter on the tongue

I was actually more thinking of certain South American products.
  • VinylSite.Records 10 months ago

note that Discogs does not go to the post office because it does not have inventory of items. Not even Paypal will pay for returns. Yesterday I paid a refund within the same country for a double item of 10 euros. It's dangerous to buy. Luckily I like my inventory
  • dunforthemoment 10 months ago

loukash
    Orgeon

Orgone
  • loukash 10 months ago

dunforthemoment
    Orgone

Had to look it up, but: haha! :D
  • loukash 10 months ago

dunforthemoment
    Orgone

Hey, that's a hell of a brilliant funk band! Love it!
  • sujammafiend 10 months ago

CopaseticMailorder
    Thanks for the brilliant advise Discogs. Here's one for you: lower your fees to - let's say 0.5%. The sellers will be able to lower the prices. More vinyl will be sold. More sellers will join Discogs. More buyers will follow and even more vinyl will be sold. That's fantastic. The best idea in the world. Let's go Discogs it's your turn now

Oh yeah this is some real big brain stuff right here. /s
  • marott89 10 months ago

If they would just think one second about it, they would lower the fee. so it would be more atractive to sellers and smaller users, that wants to sell some stuff. this would definetly compansate over time...
    but no lets get greedy af..
    sure you cant compare ebay with discogs but god damnit, even they decided now to make free offers...

regarding the free shipping guide... at first i thought this is a joke. free shipping? yes, if the order amount is above a certain value and depending where to ship to.

but my shipping is calculated with the cheapest option possible (insured and with tracking) and i also have to calculate the cardbords and bubble wrap that i use. otherwise it would pretty much a low +/- game to sell and make a bit of a profit.

really sad where this is going...

lets face it. the 75% of the database here is user generated with barelly expense on discogs except to finalize them.
    they have the whole (vinyl)world basically working for them... for free...

the whole thing in the last couple of weeks kept me thinking and i took down my whole inventory... dunno if i want to ever sell here. doesnt make any fun so to say...

thanks but no thanks discogs!
  • Jayfive 10 months ago

marott89
    . the 75% of the database here is user generated

It's 100%. Where did you get the idea it was anything less?
  • stetheboro 10 months ago

I laughed in disgust reading their advisory message.

It's bizzare.

stetheboro
    It's bizzare.

Indeed. The additional 9% fee on shipping means a doubling of fees on some international orders.
  • CopaseticMailorder 10 months ago

sujammafiend
    Oh yeah this is some real big brain stuff right here. /s

Yeah, same real big brain stuff as discogs performs
  • Showbiz_Kid 10 months ago

As a professional marketer I laughed my azz off at this. Whoever generated that piece of comedy gold has obviously been receiving so much blowback they’re backpedaling faster than a one-legged unicyclist in rush hour traffic.

I don’t sell much here, but I started because it was easier to list than on eBay and the buyers were more knowledgeable. But now after close to 10 years I’m probably going to take my inventory elsewhere. I almost did it when they rejiggered the fee to skim off my shipping charge, but this is the last straw.
  • living-in-the-past 10 months ago

I was considering offering free shipping on everything and planting a magic money tree to offset the cost.
  • SpareGrooves 10 months ago

living-in-the-past
    I was considering offering free shipping on everything and planting a magic money tree to offset the cost.
    +1
    Green Power

living-in-the-past

:)
  • serpico009 10 months ago

Yeah this is straight out of the Etsy playbook. "Encourage" free shipping by implementing policies that gradually force everyone's hand.
  • Donobob 10 months ago

serpico009
    straight out of the Etsy playbook

Absolutely. As soon as Etsy put fees on shipping, they pushed for Free Shipping.
    It's a farce because shipping has to be in the item if not separate.

Explore that a bit. Anyone purchasing multiple items (up to 90% of buyers according to Discogs own statements) will be over paying for their items when shipping is included in the price.
    It will effect the average price of sales on all items in the data-base. Higher average prices...
    Changes in the selling price will cause difficulty to everyone because we won't know what was item and what was shipping portion.
  • spinauctions.com. 10 months ago

Look, rationality and what's good for their users isn't part of the equation .. remember - it's PreyPal running the shots here now !

reworksmusic
    common-ground.io

Just got spamming emails from Common Ground. Their service seems somewhat work intensive, and €50 (or more) per month, even if you don't sell anything. No examples of sellers using their service.