• Staff 4

OfficialDiscogs 8 months ago

Your Database experience is about to get a little better. This year, Discogs is rolling out updates to the Artist page that include a more intuitive layout and better filters.

The first phase includes a beta test opt-in for Discogs users! Learn more about this phase and how to opt into the beta test in the Announcement

We look forward to hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and feedback in this thread.
  • deejaynick 8 months ago

First of all: Where is (gone...) the "submissions pending" section?
  • FolderolDeRiddle 8 months ago

Maybe the seller experience is about to get a little better... But I guess the war was lost when the new release page was rolled out. The same here: The "smartphone-friendly" block design style is wasting space and forces you to scroll endlessly. Without using filters, you are lost. No chance to get a general overview of an artist's discography (with more than three or four releases) anymore. I am pretty sure the "most trusted" database will suffer - but maybe this is now just folklore anyway.

There are some Beta hiccups at the moment: The new artist page loads endlessly. By default, I saw the Singles first. By clicking on Albums I first saw some random releases without release year, only then came the debut album - even after explicitly sorting by year.
  • trixie2 8 months ago

Hey! Very nice w the Database experience getting a little better!

About the beta version:
    1) there is too much space inbetween the items of information --> larger wrting or smaller boxes --> information more compact --> less scrolling --> nice

While we're speaking about the artists page:
    1) Why not be able to see all releases for all aliases? "Viewing all" doesnt actually show all for this particular artist

Generel:
    - Why not be able to filter out results in lists?
    - Filters: why not have the same options on filters, like when buying, in artist/label page? Style etc.
    - Why not have a broad range on sorting options in any kind of list?
  • Staff 4

deejaynick

The Add Release, Create Master Release, and pending submission count were all added to the edit icon on the top right of the tab view area.

Thanks for the additional feedback during the Beta Period, our UX team will continue to look at the recommendations here.
  • JeroenG8 8 months ago

OK, I clicked on the button to see the beta version, didn't like it AT ALL and wanted to go back to the old version, but it seems that this is not possible once you turned the beta version on ???? What kind of stupid bullocks is that?

(Everything on my phone BTW, no desktop)
  • KC4RAE 8 months ago

Very clunky, too much wasted space and I can't find anything unless it is arranged in alphabetical order. It only gives an option to arrange by year. Search doesn't always give me results I want and it doesn't always give all the results.
    Why is this changing? It was fine before.
  • jopla2 8 months ago

JeroenG8
    OK, I clicked on the button to see the beta version, didn't like it AT ALL and wanted to go back to the old version, but it seems that this is not possible once you turned the beta version on ???? What kind of stupid bullocks is that?

I thought so too, but it does go back, just takes a long while.......
  • Staff 4

JeroenG8

Well Noted! You can reverse the Opt-In with a logout/login and clearing your cache/cookies. This is something that will be fixed ASAP.
  • cellularsmoke 8 months ago

OfficialDiscogs
    The Add Release, Create Master Release, and pending submission count were all added to the edit icon on the top right of the tab view area.

People have enough trouble figuring out how to make MRs already - a series of actual Buttons next to the tabs would have been a much better call out than a sub menu tucked all the way off to the side.
  • Mark42823 8 months ago

Have I somehow got this? No releases loading on artists pages here.

Showing "0 - 0 of 0 releases"
  • mpoloukhine 8 months ago

mpoloukhine edited 8 months ago
    "Albums" lists more than what Discogs defines to be tagged as Albums.
    And when resorting to filtering for "Albums" to get around that, it still does not refine the list to "Album" tags only.

Thought it was going to be addressed this go around; instead it's now even worse. :-(

PLEASE fix this! Albums = Albums.
  • xceque 8 months ago

If I change the number of rows shown (to, say 500), it always reverts back to 25 once I navigate away & back, or just refresh. If I refresh, the combo box will still show 500, but will only list 25.

Also, with all of these changes, would it be possible to provide optional stylesheet selections in the settings so that users who like fat-and-chunky-waste-of-space layout like this can have it, but users like myself who like neat, minimal, efficient layouts can make discogs useable too?

Year sorting now has "unknown" as effectively "0000" in front of all known years when sorting chronologically where it used to dump all the unknowns at the end as effectively "9999". Can we please have that back so that lack of data doesn't get top billing?

xceque
    Also, with all of these changes, would it be possible to provide optional stylesheet selections in the settings so that users who like fat-and-chunky-waste-of-space layout like this can have it, but users like myself who like neat, minimal, efficient layouts can make discogs useable too?

+1M

Search feature is wonky.
    Alabama3, singles/EPs lists 23:
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/239530-Alabama-3?opt=ZdMP
    Filter for "Vinyl" it says there's 11 and then lists 11.
    Filter additionally for "White Label" it says there's six, but still lists 11.

Screwy like this for all manner of refined searches.
    Similar to screwy results on the recent search 'update', so probably just reflecting that un-adressed problem.

Really a search / filter routine issue (not just on Artist page) but can we please get an "exclude" option on searches. Like... "exclude" Transcripts?
  • baldorr 8 months ago

JeroenG8

Same questions.....

How about a "items for sale (with quantity)" column on the individual releases that list under the "versions" drop down? Right next to the icon "in want list"? Nice quick visual way to scan for "for sales" in your "want list"
  • Warepire 8 months ago

First off, I like the overall idea, so I played with this for about 5 minutes.

Filtering:
    Same problem as with Filtering in the master releases, every filter option works in an OR capacity, selecting CD and Reissue in Format (for example) shows reissues on other formats as well.

But the bigger question is, what are we expected to use this filtering for? Because I can't think of a useful filter at all on an artist page. Sure, it might hide the occasional master release but they were not terrible to scroll through. One filter we can't do that I have seen complaints about for years is "everything but Transcriptions", which really should be going to a different section than have to be hidden with an impossible filter.

The selection menu of credits:
    There is not enough of a visual hint between the category and the underlying credit roles on a 24" monitor (I suspect it gets worse on even larger monitors which is more common today). Due to the large space between each line, the indentation of 4mm (barely 0.16 of an inch) is not enough.

Using the menus on https://www.discogs.com/artist/45467-Pink-Floyd and choosing to view all their Vocals credits (it stuck out to me) the results contain links to master releases, not the individual release with the credit. This is a huge bug from a data review use case.

Edit button
    As mentioned by others, we have multiple forum posts a week (sometimes daily!) where someone cannot figure out how to add a release to the master release. Now it's harder to find what to do. This needs to be much much easier to find.

Artist Name Variations selection
    Doesn't work, can't view all releases by a specific variation anymore.
  • inexpressible 8 months ago

Pretty much agree with everything Warepire wrote. This still needs lots of work. Until Discogs will ultimately force us to switch to the new layout I'll be using the old settings.
  • JeroenG8 8 months ago

OfficialDiscogs
    Well Noted! You can reverse the Opt-In with a logout/login and clearing your cache/cookies. This is something that will be fixed ASAP.

How do I clear cache/cookies on my phone??

Why isn't there simply a button to switch back?
  • anagrama 8 months ago

JeroenG8

via your browser settings.
  • OnTheAnd 8 months ago

JeroenG8

anagrama
    via your browser settings.

Good luck clearing only the Discogs ones though. Hope you like having to log back into every other website you use.
  • massenmedium 8 months ago

massenmedium edited 8 months ago
  • JeroenG8 8 months ago

JeroenG8 edited 8 months ago
    massenmedium
    The toggle is there on the desktop site if you've opted in.

Luckily there is.
    Should be on the mobile-view as well, because
    OnTheAnd
    Good luck clearing only the Discogs ones though. Hope you like having to log back into every other website you use.

JeroenG8
    OK, I clicked on the button to see the beta version, didn't like it AT ALL (...) (Everything on my phone BTW, no desktop)

Having said that, I now tried the beta version on my desktop (which is how I mainly use Discogs anyway) and it looks much better there compared to the mobile version.
    Still a few things I noticed:

1) Cat#s of non-MR releases are not showing anymore in the beta-version, which I personally don't miss at all. For me the label field could be removed as well in the artist page view, but I guess that there might be people who do like that.

2) Already mentioned, but year Unknown is now sorted before the oldest year (instead of at the end like in the old version), this really has to be changed, it makes no sense to see the Unknown years releases (which usually are odd one-off releases) first, they should be last like in the old version.

3) It looks like it is not possible anymore to edit a Master Release via a shortcut on the artist page, it now simply links to the MR-edit page, which I really like A LOT!! As mentioned elsewhere, I think that this could prevent a lot of the incorrect MR edits that happened in the past.

4) The thumbnail images are way bigger and there is really A LOT of empty white space on the desktop view. This also was the case in the new MR layout, but here it is even more obvious and I really don't see the benefit of that, I definately liked the more compact view of the old page.

5) There is only a 'prev/next' button to go the next page, which is really not handy on big artists pages like Queen. The old version has "Prev 1 2 3 … 21 22 Next" "Prev 1 2 … 4 5 6 7 … 21 22 Next" etc. at the bottom which at least made it easier if you had to be somewhere in the middle of the list. Now you have to click 15 times if you want to be at page 15.

6) I like it that 'reviews', videos' and 'lists' are in a seperate colon, because I seldomly use those features, so they don't clutter my screen anymore now.

7) When sorting by increasing year the order is taken from the oldest release in a MR, but when clicking on the button and sorting by decreasing year the order is taken from the newest release in a MR (example: Queen - Flash Gordon (Original Soundtrack Music) takes 1980 in increasing order, but 2023 in decreasing order) . I'm not sure if this is a problem, but it's just something I noticed.

8) Filtering: Just like in the MR pages we also need a possibilty to search for 'country unknown' here.

9) In contrast to the MR-pages it IS possible to select any text. So why isn't it possible to implement this is the MR-page as well? It is still much requested, just like the year dropdown still needs an "Unknown" option on the MR-page.

10) Is there a reason there is no 'year' in the filtering options?

11) When 'extending' a MR-release on the artist page it now also shows the countries of each release within the MR, which I really DO like.

mpoloukhine
    can we please get an "exclude" option on searches. Like... "exclude" Transcripts?

Warepire
    One filter we can't do that I have seen complaints about for years is "everything but Transcriptions", which really should be going to a different section than have to be hidden with an impossible filter.

12) This.
    Warepire
    Artist Name Variations selection
    Doesn't work, can't view all releases by a specific variation anymore.

13) This as well.
    Warepire
    Using the menus on https://www.discogs.com/artist/45467-Pink-Floyd and choosing to view all their Vocals credits (it stuck out to me) the results contain links to master releases, not the individual release with the credit. This is a huge bug from a data review use case.

14) And this too.

So in short, the new beta-version isn't that bad at all in the desktop-view, when the above comments are taken into account.
    The mobile-view however didn't really convince me (I mostly use desktop though)
  • BaldGhost 8 months ago

baldorr
    JeroenG8OK, I clicked on the button to see the beta version, didn't like it AT ALL and wanted to go back to the old version, but it seems that this is not possible once you turned the beta version on ???? What kind of stupid bullocks is that?

Same questions.....

Yes, toggled to beta now no way back. Thanks, baby devs
  • therealbushmonkey 8 months ago

It looks awful, and doesn't improve my experience at all. Quite the opposite, in fact.
  • Epsilon_Lyrae 8 months ago

If you use the german language setting, there's the word "Tütchen" (a diminutive for "little bag"), behind every record title.

https://abload.de/img/screenshot2023-06-27a1pfzx.png
  • Earjerk... 8 months ago

Earjerk... edited 8 months ago
    I really wish Discogs would stop using words like "better" when announcing their roll-outs.

mpoloukhine
    Screwy like this for all manner of refined searches.

Amen to this. I wish the album search feature were reductive not additive. If I search for "Vinyl" and "White Label" I want things only tagged with Both, not Either.

That would actually be helpful.
  • Silvermo 8 months ago

Same problem as others have. Can’t opt out again after opting in to check how it looks. (Looks terrible on mobile by the way. A LOT more scrolling then the ”desktop wiew” on mobile). Please fix a opt out button emediatly.
  • scherben 8 months ago

I'd prefer the Discography section to default to 500 releases rather than just 25, please.

The changes are fine, otherwise. 👍
  • jweijde 8 months ago

deejaynick

OfficialDiscogs

cellularsmoke
    People have enough trouble figuring out how to make MRs already - a series of actual Buttons next to the tabs would have been a much better call out than a sub menu tucked all the way off to the side.

Not only that: there are now two places where you can find 'Edit' actions: top right corner ('Edit artist") and that small icon somewhat further down the page. Why not have all these links under 'Edit Artist" ? Then there would be:

Artist
    Edit Artist
    Add Release
    Create Master Release
    Pending submissions

This is much clearer.

JeroenG8
    10) Is there a reason there is no 'year' in the filtering options?

Is there a reason for any of this, really? Not seeing any useful improvement as a data access portal, know issues not addressed and new ones added. :-(
  • baldorr 8 months ago

Since this is actively being developed, please create a filter option for "show in collection" or "show in want list". I've wanted this feature for so long. Sometimes you're on a profile for someone prolific (but with a common name) and you know you have "1" from that artist, but it's often impossible to locate it easily.
  • baldorr 8 months ago

Other bugs (apologies if already mentioned):

- You can't have "Releases" and "Appearances" expanded at the same time.
    - There's also other odd behavior when opening "Credits" as well. Some will close others, but not other times.
    All three of those groupings should operate independently and not automatically close when another is opened.

- The artist name/link is completely missing now under the credits section. It's great to see the album name and label, but why is the artist missing? HUGE oversight.

- The ANV links don't seem to be operating as expected. Clicking on an ANV to filter just that version shows everything just the same as before.

- More subjective, but why hide things from the view? I get it's "neat" to have the tabs separate reviews/videos/lists, but that now requires more clicks to find information that was available before. Same with the "Add Submission" / "Master Release" / "Pending Submissions". Same also goes for the filter - previously the search box was always present and visible, now it's hidden under "Filter".

For the users who are helping to feed this site with data (which is it's most important asset), why make it harder for us to keep feeding data into the machine?

(Also, as an aside, when will we see improvements to the Label Pages? Even the number one basic thing of searching on label pages would be so much more important than whatever is happening on the artist pages.)
  • baldorr 8 months ago

PROTIP!

Use a different browser for testing out the new artist page. You can turn on the Beta in a different browser to check this out, but then on your main browser you don't have to have it on until it's forced upon us.
  • cereal 8 months ago

cellularsmoke

Also the create MR button does not give you a selection of titles with checkboxes anymore in context of that artist page anymore, but only the generic create MR page.
  • JeroenG8 8 months ago

baldorr
    Since this is actively being developed, please create a filter option for "show in collection" or "show in want list". I've wanted this feature for so long.

+1
    I like this idea.
  • JeroenG8 8 months ago

cereal
    Also the create MR button does not give you a selection of titles with checkboxes anymore in context of that artist page anymore, but only the generic create MR page.

Which is a good thing IMO.
    There were so many users incorrectly using this feature, which all had to be reverted by other users.

Another Bug I found in the new layout;

If you click an ANV - it doesn't actually show the releases using that ANV, it just reloads the whole page.
  • Warepire 8 months ago

jweijde
    Not only that: there are now two places where you can find 'Edit' actions: top right corner ('Edit artist") and that small icon somewhat further down the page. Why not have all these links under 'Edit Artist" ? Then there would be:

Artist
    Edit Artist
    Add Release
    Create Master Release
    Pending submissions

This is much clearer.

+1
  • Warepire 8 months ago

baldorr
    (Also, as an aside, when will we see improvements to the Label Pages? Even the number one basic thing of searching on label pages would be so much more important than whatever is happening on the artist pages.)

+1
  • disneyfacts 8 months ago

The search field should be way more obvious. It wasn't obvious that it's in the Filters dropdown menu.

Also, please add the option to include or exclude terms in the search.
  • Escapist 8 months ago

Is anyone really going to read any of the criticisms about this? Usually beta testing goes with the testers' feedback but Discogs just goes ahead and does what it wants in these situations.

I don't completely hate the new look but everything looks "puffed up" and tab oriented. It seems that this browser look is geared towards the mobile users which is ironic since most users that access Discogs on their devices are using the app and not their device's browser...

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Escapist
    It seems that this browser look is geared towards the mobile users

It's always "someone else" being favoured.

JeroenG8
    I now tried the beta version on my desktop (which is how I mainly use Discogs anyway) and it looks much better there compared to the mobile version.

Silvermo
    Looks terrible on mobile by the way. A LOT more scrolling then the ”desktop wiew” on mobile).
  • baldorr 8 months ago

Escapist
    Is anyone really going to read any of the criticisms about this? Usually beta testing goes with the testers' feedback but Discogs just goes ahead and does what it wants in these situations.

Every so often here we do get some good interaction with developers. But more than not, especially for these big updates, it certainly feels like we're screaming into a void.

Escapist
    "puffed up"

That's a good description. It's the use of the weird circular numbers on the left side, with no connecting UI design element to the role.

I mean, compare the two:

Old: https://i.imgur.com/Q0fkoXJ.png
    New: https://i.imgur.com/oBYozCE.png

The old one is far more compact, and you can see everything in one view. The new one first of all doesn't allow us to see all at once, but it has wasted space. Also, all the other helpful links and sections are hidden or gone from this section now.

Just a huge step backwards visually. I'm sure the breakdown of the credit roles might be nice, but not at the expense of the visuals and how easy it was to understand and navigate before.

cellularsmoke
    If I search for "Vinyl" and "White Label" I want things only tagged with Both, not Either.

Warepire
    Filtering:
    Same problem as with Filtering in the master releases, every filter option works in an OR capacity, selecting CD and Reissue in Format (for example) shows reissues on other formats as well.

I don't know if it breaks down to Format (should be OR i.e. additive) and Format Descriptions (should be AND, exclusive), if it does that would be better but I think keeping the interface simple enough for the untechnically minded users isn't easy.
  • mikejervis 8 months ago

The artist page no longer loads from a search in the Android app after this "improvement". Why do you insist on taking a perfectly functioning app and updating it so it no longer works? I've put up with the unfixed bug of black squares instead of images for months, but this is the limit as it makes the app unusable.

Please sort this out.
  • BaldGhost 8 months ago

where is the Search box?
  • baldorr 8 months ago

BaldGhost
    where is the Search box?

You have to use the "Filter" button first, then you have a search box. This is replicating much of the functionality of the new MR pages.

As I mentioned above, the very fact that the search box is now hidden is a huge problem. You've confirmed this is confusing.
  • loukash 8 months ago

baldorr
    Just a huge step backwards visually.

Never expect "webdesigners" to have any actual clue about visual design. :/
    In other words, nothing surprising as far as Discogs is concerned.

The somewhat good news is that usually this can be fixed by custom CSS coding on user side, at least on desktop. Whether it's worth the effort is a different question. While I'm using custom CSS since many years here, it's an uphill battle to fix all the visual garbage that the Discogs "designers" are constantly throwing at us. So, meh.
  • Dr.SultanAszazin 8 months ago

baldorr
    the very fact that the search box is now hidden is a huge problem.

Agree, the search box should be visible at any time, so you can swiftly type something, without the need to search or open the filters or anything.

I actually was rather hoping the label/company pages would be improved to follow the way artists are displayed (with a search and categories per role, and the long awaited name variation functionality for labels/companies.)
    The artist pages, while adding better filter functionality never hurts, they were/are anything near urgent to get an update, as opposed to the label/company pages.

Moreover, the thumbnails (on top) site-wide on artist, label & release pages are too small and the screen width shouldn't be limited. (Although I have these things fixed in a custom sheet: 1920px wide screen usage & 200p thumbs.)

baldorr
    Since this is actively being developed, please create a filter option for "show in collection" or "show in want list". I've wanted this feature for so long.

Agree with this too!

Also on label/company pages.
  • BaldGhost 8 months ago

baldorr
    "Filter" button first, then you have a search box

but that Search says "Search barcodes and other identifiers" like the MR search - will it search track titles etc.? ( I turned this monstrosity off for now)
  • BaldGhost 8 months ago

BaldGhost
    will it search track titles etc.?

NVM I turned it back on and it does search all fields....but yeah, hidden under Filters is not ideal
  • baldorr 8 months ago

BaldGhost
    but that Search says "Search barcodes and other identifiers" like the MR search - will it search track titles etc.? ( I turned this monstrosity off for now)

Ugh... so I was testing this....

If you enter your text, and hit 'enter' (as you would expect), it just returns everything. Like, nothing is filtered.

Instead, you have to NOT click 'enter' for some reason(!?). Once you figure that out, then yes, it does appear to search for everything.
  • BaldGhost 8 months ago

baldorr
    NOT click 'enter'

yes, it requires a "hands-off" approach.... ;-)
  • baldorr 8 months ago

BaldGhost
    yes, it requires a "hands-off" approach.... ;-)

What I don't understand is how it could be different from the MR pages. It's essentially the same functionality that already exists. /facepalm
  • psy-mark 8 months ago

Is it not possible to sort by title or label? I can't see how anyway.
  • BaldGhost 8 months ago

baldorr
    different

Well, maybe they’re querying a simpler dataset on an MR, but it’s forking 2023, this kind of stuff 12 year olds are doing
  • BaldGhost 8 months ago

The Search Discography box is now present on mobile
  • Staff 4

Thank you all again for your feedback and continued dedication to keeping Discogs such a great place to discover and engage with music. We have identified several bugs through this beta test and are working to resolve them as quickly as possible, prioritizing downtime and usability issues first. This thread will continue to be actively monitored as we refine the experience on the site.
  • ilikeseagulls 8 months ago

OfficialDiscogs
    Thank you all again for your feedback and continued dedication to keeping Discogs such a great place to discover and engage with music. We have identified several bugs through this beta test and are working to resolve them as quickly as possible, prioritizing downtime and usability issues first. This thread will continue to be actively monitored as we refine the experience on the site.

Thought you might have taken the opportunity to fix the bug where albums released in the same year don't always appear in the correct order on the artist page. Looking at The Jam, I see that this is not the case ("In The City" should be listed before "This Is The Modern World"). Maybe I was expecting too much. Will this ever be fixed?
  • Warepire 8 months ago

massenmedium
    cellularsmokeIf I search for "Vinyl" and "White Label" I want things only tagged with Both, not Either.

WarepireFiltering:
    I don't know if it breaks down to Format (should be OR i.e. additive) and Format Descriptions (should be AND, exclusive), if it does that would be better but I think keeping the interface simple enough for the untechnically minded users isn't easy.

All the other filters in the market place are working in an AND capacity, all filters I have come across in web shops work in an AND capacity. I don't think people would find it confusing, it seems to be the norm in so many situations that the OR implementation here was confusing to me and it took me a while to figure out what was going on when I first encountered it with the master release roll out.
  • rebornventura 8 months ago

rebornventura edited 8 months ago
    Deleted
    Message must be more than 10 characters long.

Warepire
    All the other filters in the market place are working in an AND capacity, all filters I have come across in web shops work in an AND capacity. I don't think people would find it confusing

I guess I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that defaulting to "AND" would be confusing (although for Formats it would be very wrong*), I mean that ideally it would be possible to choose logical relationships or something. This has all been discussed at length wrt the MR page.

Among Formats most of the time you'd want OR. Among Format Descriptions sometimes you'd want AND, sometimes you'd want OR. Between Formats and Format Descriptions most of the time you'd want AND. Maybe...

If a user selects CD + Vinyl they most likely want to see both, rather than only releases that contain both. If a user then selects Format Descriptions (such as "Promo" + "Test Pressing") they probably want those to be OR but AND with selected Formats, i.e. (CD OR Vinyl) AND (Promo OR Test Pressing).

How to keep it accessible (or at least choose the best default behaviour) is a job for people being paid to work it out.
  • Duchamp163 8 months ago

Wise from experience, I didn't push the Try Beta version button [smile]

This seems to have broken the Android app (going by all the threads by app people.)
  • Rhineheart 8 months ago

On the new artist page beta, when you click on the artist image (if present), there is no longer the option to "Edit Images". Has this been removed on purpose?
    Now the only way to edit images is via the Edit Artist link.
  • baldorr 8 months ago

Rhineheart
    On the new artist page beta, when you click on the artist image (if present), there is no longer the option to "Edit Images". Has this been removed on purpose?
    Now the only way to edit images is via the Edit Artist link.

If this is intentional, it would be great for Discogs to say so.

And if it is, I wouldn't mind this being the case on ALL image views. I suspect a TON of the issues with back and forth image wars might be because some users don't know to look at the submission history. If you're an inexperienced Discogs users and add an incorrect image to a sub and see it disappeared the next day, you might just think it was a bug and so you'll re-add it. When in actuality people disabled it, pointing you to whatever guideline is relevant to why they disabled your image. That's not to say that forcing people to the submission history will actually get others to read it, it would at least help.

So yeah, my guess is the lack of an "Edit Images" link there is probably just a mistake, but there's a chance it was intentional.
  • Rhineheart 8 months ago

massenmedium
    This seems to have broken the Android app

They seem to have fixed this (releases no longer loading) bug with today's app update.
  • magnix 8 months ago

magnix edited 8 months ago
    xceque

Well, THAT would be an actual improvement. What a waste of space on this new version!
    Opening an artist page on my desktop I see about 6 albums right away, opening it with the new layout only 2!
  • ultimathulerecords 8 months ago

ultimathulerecords edited 8 months ago
    Really, Discogs should be fixing the bugs backlog before developing more "improvements".
    But, that said, 10 years on we've still not seen the promised improvements to the label pages.

I'm not clicking on the Beta view yet until they have a simple way to revert back.
    Edit: the revert back option has now been added. - 1/7/2023

I am curious though as to what they could actually improve?
    With the release pages they improved some aspects whilst also making it more clunky. It was supposed to be faster too, but is almost impossible to work with on some longer pages.
    With the video plug-in and edit videos page there were no actual improvements and they rolled it out despite being bug ridden.

Come on Discogs, you're better than that!
  • etnofunk 8 months ago

Repeating my years old request now that it is actual:
    https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/865684?message_id=8646463#8646844
    At the moment, you can only see the dots in the search bar and in list view on the right side, those are the only ways to know how many items by an artist/label i have/want/sell. They link to the artist/label page.
    The dots should be placed on label/artist pages too, and when clicking them, they should link to a list with all items by the label/artist in your collection/wantlist/inventory.
    If the dots would be on the Monarch Record Mfg. Co. page and clicking them would link to all Monarch pressings in collection/wantlist/inventory in a neat list it would be a massive upgrade to the site.

And at a fast peek ; the ANV function is totally broken, now we get identical results from different ANVs showing only master releases making the whole function totally useless:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/14490-Lee-Marrow?anv=Lee%20Marro&filter_anv=1
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/14490-Lee-Marrow?anv=Lee%20Marrow%2093&filter_anv=1

if tweaking the artist page, the ANV caps and ANV accent bugs should be fixed, not add more bugs to the page

It seems the (as: ANV + 10 more) has been removed from the results = downgrade
  • auboisdormant 8 months ago

Maybe also related; it seems that now invalidated pages cannot be accessed even if there are still releases under them.

I experienced this with the Billy Heagney page. I had to remove the invalidation so I can finish the merge.
  • etnofunk 8 months ago

ok... so old page ANV list:
    T. Young, TIM, TTY, TY, Tim, Tim "Cutmaster" Young, Tim Joung, Tim Tom, Tim Yoney, Tim tom, Tim's, Tim-Tom, TimTom, Timi, Timmy, Tims, Timtom, Timz, Tom, Tomtom, Ty, Tym's, T½Y, tim tom, tim/tom, timBO, timTom, timtim, timtom, Тим Янг,

vs beta list:

T. Young, T½Y, Tim, Tim "Cutmaster" Young, Tim Joung, tim tom, Tim Yoney, Tim-Tom, Tim's, tim/tom, timBO, Timi, Timmy, Tims, timtim, timtom, Timz, Tom, Tomtom, TTY, TY, Tym's, Тим Янг,

OfficialDiscogs
    have you attempted to fix the ANV caps/accent bugs? it seems you have merged the ANVs with different capitalisation and accents to the most common variation?
    This approach enables much well hidden incorrect data on your site.
    The correct solution would be to make them show strictly only the actual releases that contain the exact form of the ANV (=make the ANV link case sensitive), then they could be corrected by users by simply clicking the ANV and editing the linked releases.
  • Strupp1 8 months ago

Not sure if these have all been mentioned already, but here's what I encountered:

- Add to Collection does not work from the ellipses
    - aliases are not shown, e.g. Modest By Default is an alias of GENDEMA, where interestingly the alias *is* shown
    - Default order of releases is reverse to old artist page, going from oldest to newest
    - Format notes (e.g. vinyl color) are not shown
    - Newly added releases don't show up immediately
  • gooball60 8 months ago

gooball60 edited 8 months ago
    I would really appreciate some sort of "compact" version of this new layout, it looks nice but everything is so spread out. I think making the lists and categories just a little bit tighter could be a big improvement.

To elaborate: here are some good things about the current version, versus some not so good things that I think the beta version interferes with. I realize that this may represent a fundamental difference in philosophy compared to what the devs are doing, but it seems to me that these design choices just don't focus on what makes navigating a database (including the many different facets of its information) concise and effective.

gooball60
    I would really appreciate some sort of "compact" version of this new layout

Indeed. It's a huge waste of screen space.
    Also, contrary to the announcement here, it is VERY SLOW to load compared to the old version that we are all used to.

Tabbing the: Discography, Reviews, Videos, Lists = a good idea. Yet there doesn't seem to be a way to address link these tabs.

------------------------------------------------

BUG

Serious display errors at https://www.discogs.com/artist/70828-King-Crimson?opt=M6lf where it is showing singles first, and then if one clicks on Albums the whirly progress/wait thing never completes rendering it impossible to view the Album discography!

Same problems at:
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/10343-Tangerine-Dream
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/30122-Jethro-Tull
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/69719-Hawkwind

------------------------------------------------

BUG

At https://www.discogs.com/artist/45467-Pink-Floyd it shows "unknown" dated items prior to the 1967 debut, whereas they should show at the end.

Same problem at:
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/124506-Genesis
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/110593-Jimi-Hendrix
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/58687-Jefferson-Airplane

BUG

When one clears the "Filter" after searching the display does not revert to its original state. The only way to do that is to switch to another tab and back or refresh the page.
  • Silvermo 8 months ago

It is now possible to opt out of the beta test mode.
    Something that Discogs perhaps could have announced in this tread as many have asked for it. But communication have never been Discogs thing.
  • EzraZebra 8 months ago

EzraZebra edited 8 months ago
    - The padding in the left menu is 2-3x the font size, it's ridiculous. Not everyone has a 4K monitor.
    - Please just group releases by tag. This redesign is the perfect opportunity to fix that mess.
    - Why can't you type in the filter text fields?
    - Why is there no Year filter?
  • HomerHossa 8 months ago

therealbushmonkey
    It looks awful, and doesn't improve my experience at all. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Trying to get a grasp of an artist's essential chronology & album discography has become worse on mobile (and on laptop too). It has also become less evident to find which tracks an artist contributed to v/a compilations.

Improvements should decrease clutter not create more lack of oversight. Back to the drawing board please because you've failed essential tests.

EzraZebra
    Why is there no Year filter?

Certainly another oversight.
  • Unint 8 months ago

Unint edited 8 months ago
    At long last, releases in the same year are no longer sorted backwards. Were they just saving this fix to be deployed now?

Search is so slow that you will probably legitimately think there are 0 results and just give up.

ANV filtering clearly just doesn't work right now. Still a long way to go.

I'm honestly okay with "Unknown" being sorted to the top! If they're happy with this...

Artist reviews and videos being hidden by default might actually be an improvement.

Can we just get "jump to year" and "jump to decade" (not a filter, jumping ahead in the full list)? Now that you can't edit the URL to skip around, might as well get a better way to do it.

Dr.SultanAszazin
    I actually was rather hoping the label/company pages would be improved to follow the way artists are displayed (with a search and categories per role, and the long awaited name variation functionality for labels/companies.)

They promised this 10 years ago. It's still a "no show".

OfficialDiscogs
    Your Database experience is about to get a little better. This year, Discogs is rolling out updates to the Artist page that include a more intuitive layout and better filters.

The new layout is ugly and a huge waste of space.
    It is also much slower than the old layout and also terribly buggy, as I have reported a few comments above this.
  • Unint 8 months ago

Also, let's have format in a separate column. There's so much room.
  • zot_tel_666 8 months ago

OfficialDiscogs
    continued dedication to keeping Discogs such a great place to discover and engage with music

you are constantly making it harder, don't know how much longer i can stand it....
  • markal 8 months ago

The ability to search the discography seems to be completely gone. I'm not talking about the search for a year, label, etc. etc. Previously you could search the artist's discography for a song, for example, to see how many albums that song appeared on or when that song was first published if you did not know the album. This was a hugely useful feature and it seems like it is gone now.

I also second (or third, or hundredth) the observation that there is more space than necessary between individual entries. For one thing this leads to too much scrolling for an artist that has lots of releases.
  • FlamedTerrapin 8 months ago

Hi I have never been on the Discogs Forums before. By necessity I am here now. See this comment as posted above:

>"The ability to search the discography seems to be completely gone. I'm not talking about the search for a year, label, etc. etc. Previously you could search the artist's discography for a song, for example, to see how many albums that song appeared on or when that song was first published if you did not know the album. This was a hugely useful feature and it seems like it is gone now. "

To me, this is the main purpose of Discogs. The only thing I get now is videos. Cannot get get anything else. Not LPs, not CDs, this is awful.

I am not here for videos, I am here for music, in music formats - CDs,LPs, singles.

Please get rid of Beta, or give me a simple button which says "Click this for Beta-free Discogs", please!

For those interested, https://userstyles.world/style/7952/alternative-discogs-width
    This userstyle to use with the Stylus browser addon, fixes the huge vertical space-waste on left side categories in the current beta.
  • alternapop 8 months ago

Does Discogs *ever* consult with a UI designer? The site has always felt like it was stuck in 2000, and all the recent changes don't improve upon that.

Also, does the box to toggle off beta mode need to be so large, and at the top eating up so much space?

alternapop
    Also, does the box to toggle off beta mode need to be so large, and at the top eating up so much space?

Fixed that issue too in the above Stylus addon stylesheet (see https://userstyles.world/style/7952/alternative-discogs-width )
  • alternapop 8 months ago

Dr.SultanAszazin
    alternapopAlso, does the box to toggle off beta mode need to be so large, and at the top eating up so much space?

Fixed that issue too in the above Stylus addon stylesheet (see https://userstyles.world/style/7952/alternative-discogs-width )

It's better, thank you. I modified it a little more.

/*opt in-out*/
    .optin_3Ze0T {margin-top:10px; padding:5px; height: 60px}
    .optin_3Ze0T a, .optin_3Ze0T a:focus, .optin_3Ze0T a:hover, .optin_3Ze0T a:visited {padding:0 0 3px; margin: 0 0 3px;}
    .switch_2cmFj { width: 25px; height: 16px; }
    .switch_2cmFj:before { width: 12px; height: 12px; }

alternapop
    I modified it a little more.

Looks good, I implemented it as such now.

For those who want a preview with or without the style sheet, see: https://imgur.com/a/5cwsH5p
  • Jaba23 8 months ago

-Nothing here-

Dr.SultanAszazin edited 8 months ago
    OfficialDiscogs
    thoughts and feedback

Some issues I experience:
    -When I do a search and one release from within an MR shows up, when I open that release the Master Release opens instead of the actual specific remease shown, and I have to browse through the MR (or search again there ) to find the correct release
    -When putting something between quotation marks in the search box, it seems it ignores these instead of requiring to find literal what's between the quotation marks. (For instance, search for "trio en sol", both with and without the quotation marks, on https://www.discogs.com/artist/96123. No difference in results in both cases it shows results where the words appear, but not necessarily together in that order.

(Just noticed that now releases are sorted on the complete date, not just the year. That's great!)

Not a bug, but would be a nice additional feature to the artist's page for collectors:
    Sort (either releases, for sales, or both) by "wanted" (and ideally, additionally, by "wanted/have ratio")

Sort by price is a moderate proxy, but not if it's not for sale.