• muziv 4 months ago

muziv edited 4 months ago
    DELETE BETA ARTIST PAGE ROLL IT BACK!
  • alain-a 4 months ago

Yes delete the beta and go back to the old look it was better.
  • rxcory 4 months ago

The "new" style is horrible, difficult to navigate and/or reconfigure. Please revert.
  • m.drysch 4 months ago

Yes, please. You can't even search an artist page for a tracktitle anymore!
  • dib.deeb 4 months ago

Please revert.
    Too much empty space. Too much space between cover!
  • BaldGhost 4 months ago

• xX_CunnyL0v3r1337_Xx 4 months ago

DONT!!! I LOVE WHEN THE SITE LOOKS LIKE A MOBILE PHONE APP!!!
  • xceque 4 months ago

xX_CunnyL0v3r1337_Xx
    DONT!!! I LOVE WHEN THE SITE LOOKS LIKE A MOBILE PHONE APP!!!

Back to Chaturbate with you!
  • zin 4 months ago

Such an awful update, just proves for the 1000th time Discogs' new designers have no idea what they're doing.

pAdDinG iS vErY cOoL
  • bklovski 4 months ago

I'm having trouble with it.
  • GroovingPict 4 months ago

At least give us back the option to toggle it off ourselves. It's not yet complete: the only sorting possible is by year, which is absolutely useless considering the amount of releases in this database with either wrong year or no year. No option anymore to sort alphabetically which is much more useful when looking for a specific title anyway, even if the year fields were all correct and filled out. And the listings no longer show the catalog numbers, just the labels.

Why do you, developers and management, consistently insist on making the user experience on this site shittier and shittier with every single decision you make? Have any of you actually used this site? you know, as an actual user? Because it sure as shit doesnt seem that way.

At least leave the option to switch it off until it is actually finished. I mean, even a site like reddit still has the option to view their site in the old layout, years after they switched to the new. Why cant Discogs be the same and just leave both options available permanently?
  • xceque 4 months ago

GroovingPict
    Why cant Discogs be the same and just leave both options available permanently?

Because they need to deprecate the old code so they can fully migrate. The old code is likely running on a separate server, or some such modern server container shenanigans (I've been out of web development for a good 8 years or more now so I don't know all the recent tech).
    The old code will need to be entirely out of the picture, otherwise they'll not have succeeded in upgrading the site - they'd be permanently in limbo.

They could leave it a bit longer, although the effect would be no different if they did.
    People try the new version, hate it (because in the case of this artists page it genuinely is bollocks), and disable it. Then no-one is reporting issues because no-one is using it. So discogs thinks everything is fine and dandy now and presto - everyone dropped in the poo at once.

They won't ever go back once they've decided it's functional. Regardless of whether it is or not for the users.

Better to push for development of a selection of custom stylesheets per user per device so that we can choose how it looks.

Discogs could be a pioneer in web user-styling. Maybe later.
  • subvert47 4 months ago

This is just awful. Bring the disable function back.
  • autumnyears 4 months ago

I hate it! I want to disable it.

Even the simplest thing like creating a master releases forces me to add the release IDs - no check boxes anymore. Who would like to to copy and paste of release IDs?
  • brady 4 months ago

it looks terrible, at least give us the option to go back

xceque
    Because they need to deprecate the old code so they can fully migrate.

I understand this for sure. But why did they design a static new feature and turn it on. Why didn't they design a feature that could be customized from the beginning by the users in their profile. With that freedom user would have used it more...
    Transfer the old look and feel into the new system, then make optical changes in the new system users could configure.
  • xceque 4 months ago

autumnyears
    Transfer the old look and feel into the new system

This is exactly what I think they should have done. Why didn't they? Your guess on that is as good as mine.
  • ekoch 4 months ago

It's so bad. I just noticed you cannot opt out of it anymore. Much much worse than before
  • nywi3 4 months ago

It's godawful. The amount of wasted space is unbelieveable, and you can only see 25 releases at a time, which makes that change even worse. Tabs are also a painfully bad change, as the old layout allowed you to multi-task, something that this one absolutley abandoned. It was acceptable when it was optional.

There was no need to fix something that wasn't broken. Wikipedianever changed the core of their layout.
  • cellularsmoke 4 months ago

m.drysch
    You can't even search an artist page for a tracktitle anymore!

Yes you can. Give their terrible little search engine a few moments and you can still search by any information on any release on the page. The search field is still incorrectly named "Search BaOI and Other Identifiers" instead of something useful like "Search the artist page here" - but you can still use it for anything.

nywi3
    and you can only see 25 releases at a time

You can see up to 500 at a time. Admittedly it takes time to load, an extra second or two.

I get that the new page is kind of terrible. But we need to at least complain about things that are actually wrong with it.
  • gilgar 4 months ago

Please get rid of the beta page or at least allow people to opt out of it like before--it's terrible.

if nothing else, at least allow us to hide the filtering section

Btw. the thread title isn't capitalized correctly per RSG §1.2.1. :D

(...just joking, that only allows me to bear being the first QA of a new feature that looks like it was uploaded in the middle of development - Discogs team does not seem to have used it before practically and or checked its usability on different systems)
  • cellularsmoke 4 months ago

My biggest complaint is creating a new Master Release is now a complete pain in the ass.
  • Obliterator 4 months ago

cellularsmoke
    My biggest complaint is creating a new Master Release is now a complete pain in the ass.

I won't waste my time on this anymore ... killing this way of creating a master was utter nonsense ...
  • Belliott4 4 months ago

On the bandwagon; the new format is a step backwards from the user perspective. Catalog numbers are missing (need for sort & search), harder to make master releases, slower to load, more cumbersome to navigate. What part of is supposed to be an improvement?
  • Kip_Drordy 4 months ago

Anyone notice this?
  • bizcastl 4 months ago

I cannot wait for the trend of websites randomly making their UI massive so less elements can be displayed on a screen to be over.
  • arsebucket 4 months ago

ha! everyone hates it

Kip_Drordy
    Anyone notice this?

Wow, the forum should be replaced. Sounds like killing history if they do it the same as way like they did when replacing the artists page and when "archiving" the wiki on archive.org with missing pages...
  • xceque 4 months ago

Kip_Drordy
    Anyone notice this?

They're replacing it with a slightly more annoying forum.
    I know, hard to imagine the forum being more annoying, but I'm sure if anyone can do it, it's discogs.
  • DennisV94 4 months ago

If it ain't broke don't fix it completely applies here. What a mess.
  • alain-a 4 months ago

And we can't make masterrelease the best was the old discogs look search fo 2 same tracks and make masterrelease in couple seconds now its not better and we have more work with make masterrelease its the same now as unknown artist.
  • ideefixe.nyc 4 months ago

"Discogs rolled out improvements to Artist pages. Learn more."

they even call it improvements
  • alain-a 4 months ago

I can't more select the releases if I will make masterrelease. Please go to the old look and not this new version.
    What if there is no master release?
    If there are multiple versions of a release listed with no master release to merge it into, you can create a master release. To do so, go to the Artist page and select `Create Master Release` on the left side of the page. Then, on the right side of the page, select all of the checkboxes for the releases which should be grouped together. At the bottom of the page, you can select which release you wish to have display as the master release.
  • OldCoolTrainers 4 months ago

What is the benefit to the user of these development changes? Or even to Discogs? It's just ugly and unusable

Searching on Discogs has always been more miss than hit but at least Google helped (always the default suggestion whenever you can't find something on discogs) but now it seems even worse.

Has Elon Musk been employed for business advice?
  • TobesofHades 4 months ago

TobesofHades edited 4 months ago
    After the change to Beta was implemented unbeknownst to me, I toggled back to the older layout. Now the toggle button has disappeared and the artists discography page is completely blank, no information at all. I use Mozilla Firefox and am not about to change in order to appease Discogs. These are not improvements in my view. Anyone else have this problem. If possible, how do I rectify this.
  • pureasarose 4 months ago

This design cripples the target function of why discogs exists. The rolled-out beta artist page is an enormous step backwards to the point of making the site nearly unusable. Enormous padding / blank amounts of space, large gaps between rows, prevents users from meaningfully looking for a single item (let alone being able to compare items!). To locate anything requires constant scrolling up and down and up down and up and down and up and down or click, click, clicking to new pages. The old layout provided efficient, effective use of space and information that allowed users to learn what they needed. The new design neuters efficiency, it *removes* and *obfuscates* information, and destroys the very features that are needed in a database website. The new design, rather than being "hip, new, and modern," flies in the face of the very community it purports to serve. Despite months of users providing overwhelming negative feedback to the new beta design directly to discogs, it was rolled out unchanged with the incredulous, clearly false statement it "improves" the experience and was "implemented with user feedback." This decision was made in a vacuum and on a bandwagon without assessing the needs of the particular site and will serve to lose its only userbase.

Just because this type of design is [tragically] common on other sites [btw never seen a design like this implemented without users widespreadly getting furious] doesn't mean it'll be accessible or possible to implement in the function discogs is supposed to fulfill.

To reiterate: this new design actively prevents users from doing the VERY thing the website WAS MADE FOR.

And without the ability to fulfill its own function, it's useless.
  • FolderolDeRiddle 4 months ago

Improvements are always welcome, but why ask users about their experience with the new "Beta" artist page if you don't listen? Despite all the users' feedback: Nothing, and really nothing at all, has been changed compared to the Beta version.
  • BuildDestroyBuild 4 months ago

Honestly it's embarrassing how bad it looks. Fully deserving of ridicule. Goodbye, Discogs.
  • muziv 4 months ago

The search box on the artist pages doesn't actually work lol, Example: On any artist page, I used to be able to search for "Dub" and it'd give me all the dub mixes, why would you just destroy the site like this?
  • muziv 4 months ago

autumnyears
    Btw. the thread title isn't capitalized correctly per RSG §1.2.1. :D

I did indeed get carried away.
  • F104G 4 months ago

Kip_Drordy
    Anyone notice this?

All your posts are belong to us!
  • SkeletorMan 4 months ago

Is there a bug around real name field or it's "improvement" of new layout?
    Example here: profile shows member's names even they doesn't appear anymore in submission history
  • dazzradd 4 months ago

Please give us disable Beta function back. Having no effective search button within artist page is crippling!!!
  • Aspirations 4 months ago

Agree with all the comments. Not being able to search for a track tite on the artist page is ridiculous. The old version was fine, total waste of time changing, and the development time would have been better spent adding in a better search facility and missing functionality such as the ability to search within genres for tracks that have no year attached to them.
  • nywi3 4 months ago

Lets dont forget that you cant interact with the database from the mobile app.

I can imagine how easier would that make adding new or editing already existing releases.
  • GroovingPict 4 months ago

xceque
    Discogs could be a pioneer in web user-styling.

check out mr. comedian over here
  • xceque 4 months ago

GroovingPict
    check out mr. comedian over here

I'm here all week folks. 🥸
  • Rudi-Wolff 4 months ago

They could have least made a poll about it what the community liked more..
    The old layout (which may be outdated and stored on a separate server, but ain't that difficult to copy/upgrade) or the new layout version.

I wanna bet the majority of the users here liked the old layout better.
  • nywi3 4 months ago

Rudi-Wolff
    They could have least made a poll about it

Theres no point in that, nobody wanted the new layout
  • Taralezh 4 months ago

Why is it that every good website just deicide one day to change design ? I mean I get that it was probably made for mobile phone users, but as a desktop user.. good lord it's awful, really uncomfortable,
    Dear discogs, you're not the first to do such move, and many have fallen because of this.. it's not too late.. just put some ego down and listen to the simple people, the majority wants the old design ! you should have made a poll before wasting money and time on this. It's a damn shame.
  • Oricale 4 months ago

I knew there would have to be somewhere we can express our views on this...."not happy Jan!"
    My first time posting on a discogs forum.....because hopefully our voices will be heard.
    Can we revert back to the old?...the new artist pages are a sloppy, inefficient and user unfriendly.
  • anjunabeachbum 4 months ago

I do miss the search field on the artist page as well! Its such a drag with a lot more useless scrolling! what was the basic idea? I CANNOT UNDERSTAND!!!
  • gilgar 4 months ago

gilgar
    Please get rid of the beta page or at least allow people to opt out of it like before--it's terrible.

dammit, can't search the listings for song, name, etc.
  • marktokyo 4 months ago

Discogs you are developing things the wrong way, the interface was fine, fix the video issue and remove ads. When I am listening less, I am buying less. Make us do less clicks. After that is complete, sack the dev team and reduce fees. No need to change anything in the next 8-10 years at least.
  • anjunabeachbum 4 months ago

I tried the above mentioned function "Search BaOI and Other Identifiers". THATS HARD TO FIND AND MUCH LESS CONVENIENT THAN THE ORIGINAL VERSION
  • spinachfl 4 months ago

How do I begin to edit an artist page now? Been trying to figure that out. For an hour and can’t get anywhere. Never needed help with anything before. Nowhere on the website is there any help. I can’t contribute or make edits currently. Total nightmare in every way. Zero improvements made. Give us back the original immediately.
  • EzraZebra 4 months ago

spinachfl
    How do I begin to edit an artist page now?

The Edit Artist link is still in the same place it always has been, at least on desktop.
  • mattsalcido 4 months ago

If you use Chrome (or Edge / Chromimum browsers) I just published an new version of Discogs Enhancer with a new feature called Compact Artist Pages that removes a lot of the white space and reduces the font sizes to try and emulate the old artist page layout: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/discogs-enhancer/fljfmblajgejeicncojogelbkhbobejn
  • spinachfl 4 months ago

EzraZebra
    spinachflHow do I begin to edit an artist page now?
    The Edit Artist link is still in the same place it always has been, at least on desktop.

Im unable to use my laptop at the moment and I am on my phone. I can’t find that anywhere. I also don’t have the option to switch to desktop mode anymore. I am fully stuck at this point still.
  • moonhazle 4 months ago

It's not what we want, that's obvious.
    And what we do want to be repaired, changed, or wish to be added, is also obvious.

A common way to classify communication is by whether information is exchanged
    between humans, members of other species, or non-living entities such as computers.
  • seltaeb 4 months ago

Yes, please give us the disable Beta function back!
  • gilgar 4 months ago

gilgar
    gilgarPlease get rid of the beta page or at least allow people to opt out of it like before--it's terrible.

dammit, can't search the listings for song, name, etc.

still no way to search releases but found that if you click on filters, that section goes away
  • HomerHossa 4 months ago

HomerHossa edited 4 months ago
    zin
    Such an awful update, just proves for the 1000th time

GroovingPict
    Why do you, developers and management, consistently insist on making the user experience on this site shittier and shittier with every single decision you make?

I'm sorry to say I've decided to down tools for a while. Personal priorities + I'll not be doing much Discogs work as a result of the Beta and the bugs. If they make it less pleasant or even unworkable, I'm not joining in for lack of workable circumstances. Perhaps things will improve in weeks as errors & bugs get fixed but ...

Personally I think we as contributors should make a formal protest in a separate thread or perhaps petition. But perhaps I'm in a minority to think this. Also, given the antagony I've encountered I'll not be starting that initiative. But once it's there I will endorse it.

Why ? A whole lot of people are putting effort in without reward, the last thing we want is for it to be made more difficult. I can see the need to improve the site for mobile cf. how that's where more and more users are ... but for people to contribute to the database, it has to remain workable on desktop / laptop. Our contributions are valuable, our user needs are real.

Originally posted that here - https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/875488?page=4&message_id=10695730#10695730 - but this is perhaps a better place.

Update:
    Developers & co typically prepare, then set live, and then fix the rest of the bugs later, as they are being flagged. Fingers crossed some sort of comfort & usability will return. Until then I'll not be contributing much in the foreseeable future, if only to avoid frustration.

Nevertheless I once again feel that Discogs management should communicate better. It's 2023. Don't alienate contributors but cocreate with them, even if you're holding the reigns.

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/1017930?page=6&message_id=10696111#10696111
  • zevulon 4 months ago

This is just a nightmare. Just bring back the old functionality, cause this doesn't work at all for reasons explained by everyone here.
    I don't care what kind of programming tricks you have to pull out of whatever bag, but you can't just degrade the site completely and expect us to "roll with it", cause it doesn't work any better than a square wheel on a normal road. It might work out theoretically but it just does not work on the internet.
  • senor_velasco 4 months ago

What the hell?????! Why did you mess up the artist page??
    No more master release button

PUT IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • massenmedium 4 months ago

senor_velasco
    No more master release button

Obviously they can't simply plop back that whole elaborate split frame, scroll and select to populate thing into a completely different page. It was one of the more complicated parts of the site.

I'm surprised that people used it so much or are so troubled by the prospect of opening up a couple of tabs to copy the release numbers (which is what I've usually done). Not that that is amazing modern "workflow" but it's not that hard. I also wonder if the split frame thing wasn't particularly problematic from an ADA compliance point of view.

massenmedium
    senor_velascoNo more master release button

Obviously they can't simply plop back that whole elaborate split frame, scroll and select to populate thing into a completely different page. It was one of the more complicated parts of the site.

I'm surprised that people used it so much or are so troubled by the prospect of opening up a couple of tabs to copy the release numbers (which is what I've usually done). Not that that is amazing modern "workflow" but it's not that hard. I also wonder if the split frame thing wasn't particularly problematic from an ADA compliance point of view.

with all due respect but - looking at your stats - you aren't exactly a "power user" here
    with the amount of time I spend here, yes, it is a great annoyance if I always had to go to master release in edit mode
    so, sorry but you don't really have a say in that discussion ...
  • Obliterator 4 months ago

massenmedium
    It was one of the more complicated parts of the site.

Hmm, I'd guess it depends on ...
  • massenmedium 4 months ago

Obliterator
    Hmm, I'd guess it depends on ...

I know what it depends on, what does your ellipsis mean?
  • DrewHart 4 months ago

I hate it please revert
  • HomerHossa 4 months ago

HomerHossa edited 4 months ago
    massenmedium
    Obviously they can't simply plop back

I agree and I'm not expecting it. But we're frustrated and in the dark. It doesn't feel like we're being respected as contributors cf. https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/1017930?page=6#10696111

What I do hope for is new options to bring back usability & comfort, e.g. customise how pages are shown more compactly, ...

Thanks for the sensible comments.
  • asdasfzasfasd 4 months ago

Delete it Delete it Delete it Delete it Delete it
  • truephoenix 4 months ago

Bring back old interface design please !!
  • subterra 4 months ago

Artist pages now show "0-0 of 0" releases. Most all "functions" are either grayed out or simply don't do anything. Label pages now show numerous releases that have no relation to the label. Discogs seems to have made itself nearly useless for research. With all the other complaints I'm seeing, I wonder if anybody at all is listening....

Free text not displayed on artist page anymore
    SR opened
  • 82blanco 4 months ago

Terrible new look. Roll it back please.
  • ttsr 4 months ago

another vote for rolling it back
  • taipansadoreyou 4 months ago

Did someone win a competition to design this godawful mess? I could do better in a room full of mustard gas.
  • cosmicrich 4 months ago

Please revert to the old design. It's way to much white space. With a large catalogue like Hawkwind you have to go through many more pages. Such a downgrade in functionality.
  • TheDeadSea182 4 months ago

Discogs please revert to the one before.
    “If it’s not broken don’t fix it”, this has made my submitting, collecting and purchasing an absolute NIGHTMARE!.
    I hope these comments are read and this is fixed, I’m a daily user of Discogs, almost hourly. Please fix.
  • Flambient 4 months ago

TheDeadSea182
    I hope these comments are read and this is fixed, I’m a daily user of Discogs, almost hourly. Please fix.

Read: maybe. Fixed: no.

Flambient
    TheDeadSea182I hope these comments are read and this is fixed, I’m a daily user of Discogs, almost hourly. Please fix.
    Read: maybe. Fixed: no.

But it’s unbearable. I used to love this format…
  • Flambient 4 months ago

TheDeadSea182
    But it’s unbearable. I used to love this format…

I have never seen that much agreement in any forum thread than about the new artist page format (i.e. that it su*ks). However even during the test phase any request not to take it live was ignored by management.
  • moonhazle 4 months ago

Flambient Can it be more clearly rolled out?
    This is their biggest statement so far, they don't care about us.
    Pride comes before the fall.

Flambient
    TheDeadSea182But it’s unbearable. I used to love this format…
    I have never seen that much agreement in any forum thread than about the new artist page format (i.e. that it su*ks). However even during the test phase any request not to take it live was ignored by management.

Agreed.
    Simple fix would be an option to have it like this current state or click. Goes to the original BETTER state.
  • Flambient 4 months ago

moonhazle
    Can it be more clearly rolled out?

I'm not Discogs staff

moonhazle
    This is their biggest statement so far, they don't care about us.

The original thread is here
    https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/1017930

Request #756570

Last edits missing on artist page
    senor_velasco
    Today at 12:46
    The link for the last edits and the %-bars for needs changes, correct, new on artist page are gone.
    All browsers

I really don't know how I can work on the database anymore if half of the stuff is not working
    Why don't they fix the bugs we have been pointing out for years instead of always messing things up?
  • Mr.Slut 4 months ago

I agree that the new artist page is awful.
    It loads much slower and the master releases list the date of the latest addition to it - not the first release, which make reading the discographies of artists a nightmare.
    Before the key release was the one that is shows (cover wise) in the master and its release date was the date listed with the master.
    Now that is gone. Or am I too blind to find that option?

Please, tech guys and gals, adjust that!!!!
  • Mr.Slut 4 months ago

Oh, I just found out, if you click "year ^ " the first releases in a master will be diplayed. If however you click "year v", it will list the latest releases in each master.
    Still annoying, since I previously had the newer releases still listed from newer to older and it worked before the "BETA" bullshit version.
  • moonhazle 4 months ago

Flambient
    moonhazleCan it be more clearly rolled out?
    I'm not Discogs staff

moonhazleThis is their biggest statement so far, they don't care about us.
    The original thread is here
    https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/1017930

Sorry if you took it as an attack on you.
    It was intended as support/emphasis.
  • Flambient 4 months ago

moonhazle
    Sorry if you took it as an attack on you.

I didn't at all, sorry if it was to be misunderstood
  • DaveTheVan 4 months ago

+1 new page is awful and absolutely not an improvement in any way.
    Adding myself to the pile of voices that will be ignored.

is it only me or is every artist page now broken..?
    Getting the old astronaut with a record...
    "This Page is Unavailable Right Now"

The search bar preview is also broken

Release pages also broken
  • Miki242 4 months ago

Every artist, every release - broken.

Labels pages are working, hooray.

maybe they are rolling it back...
  • Miki242 4 months ago

senor_velasco