• mjb over 10 years ago

After telling someone they should just use Rock (with Pop Rock style) instead of Pop (with no style) for the pop-rock songs on the Miami Vice soundtrack, I started second-guessing myself and decided to do some digging to find out what the intent of the Pop genre really was.

Based on the styles under Pop, and the dearth of info in the style guide, I was under the impression the Pop genre was basically for non-rock pop. But nik's posts in the two-year-old 'POP genre added!' thread make it sound like anything goes, so both Rock (with style Pop Rock) and Pop can be used on the same release; they're not mutually exclusive.

Is this still the case?

In that thread, suggestions were made about putting Pop Rock and Pop Rap under Pop, and running a script to add the Pop genre to all the releases that have those styles. Apparently this never was acted on, but it should be, if Pop really is intended to be used for any pop whatsoever.

Nik, you out there?
  • Staff 3.1k

nik over 10 years ago

Hey mjb - the 'Pop' genre can and should be used with any other genre to tag items as being mainstream, chart orientated works.

The styles, specifically the Pop Rock and Pop Rap styles, pre-date the Pop genre in Discogs, and can be seen as possibly redundant at this time. I can see, at some point, the adjusting of these styles to separate them into just top level Pop, Hip Hop and Pop, Rock genres - however, this is not likely to happen very soon. In the meantime, I think it is acceptable to use either specific style, or the genre combinations, to describe these particular styles.
  • mjb over 10 years ago

OK, thanks for the clarification! I added details to the style guide in the wiki.