• lynxtuft over 12 years ago

Would someone explain (better yet show me image examples) of what a "tip-on sleeve" is? ...in relation to a regular(?) kind.

All I've been able to glean is they are an older sleeve style and aren't commonly used. I have a guess: the vertical length of the sleeve is significantly longer than 12", thereby allowing a greater span of space when you push the edges together at the opening. This is the only thing I can think it means.
  • makbo over 12 years ago

Good question! While the term shows up often enough in descriptions of albums for sale, few if any links actually define the term.
    lynxtuft
    allowing a greater span of space when you push the edges together at the opening

Sorry, don't quite understand that part.

Here is the first helpful thing I finally found:

"The cd is housed in a tip-on style gatefold sleeve - sort of a mini-version of the LP gatefold. The lp is housed in a heavy duty gatefold sleeve and is limited to 1000 copies."

from Eclipse Records (3) web site, the 'news' page for release The Saga Of Mayflower May

I have at least one CD like this, it's not jewel case or digipak, but a small gatefold sleeve, just like the large LP version, but smaller.

At some point I thought "tip-in" might have something to do with promotional tip sheets. For example Columbia used to frequently glue a tracklisting right to the front of a promo vinyl LP cover so radio programmers could tick off the tracks they wanted to include in their rotation.
  • MR_E over 12 years ago

MR_E edited over 12 years ago
    It's an old-style sleeve where the the cover art is not printed directly on the surface of the cardboard sleeve, but instead is printed on an outer layer of paper. If you look at the back of a tip-on sleeve you'll see where the front paper folds over at the corners.
  • lynxtuft over 12 years ago

Ahh... thank you for your reply. I believe I understand now. This is why I've seen terms like "old-style" in the description with this kind of sleeve.
  • makbo over 12 years ago

MR_E
    not printed directly on the surface of the sleeve, but instead is printed on an outer layer of paper

For example, if you get a magazine with a piece of paper glued on the front cover, along one edge of the paper, and the paper is promoting something like "Free Offer Inside, see page 28", then that's called a tip-on also.

Here is an example of usage other than with a record sleeve:

"'Micro-encapsulation' might sound like technobabble, but along with pop-ups, lenticulars, tip-ons and twiddle cards, it is one of the weapons newspaper and magazine publishers are employing in the fight to win a greater share of adspend"

from http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/87254/

Or this site for Denver "5280" Magazine quotes advertiser rates for tip-ons:

http://www.5280.com/ad_specs.php