• swagski over 8 years ago

This may be a daft suggestion, but I think it may assist in flagging the obvious.

On vinyl double sets (around the late 60s to 70s) there were many auto-coupled issues - using the A/D & B/C configuration for the 2 discs.

IMO, it would seem logical to enter them in correct tracklist order, but still retaining sides;
    A
    D
    B
    C

•This would also then agree with any respective disc cat or matrix order.
    •It also makes a compilation of 2 albums easier to check against originals.
    •It also helps ID later CDs that inadvertently got cut from these Auto'd vinyls which present the wrong track order!
    (Yes, they exist)
    •Indeed, if the sides required index titles, then A&B order would be wrong as the sides are A&D etc...
    eg my suggestion as above, when indexes may be needed;
    A Name (Disc One #1)
    A
    A Name (Disc One #2)
    D
    A Name (Disc Two)
    B
    C
    (Which maybe reveals the prob?)

Is this really 2 sequential discs? The Allman Brothers Band - Beginnings
    This is one of my auto-coupled (result=confusing tracklist) The Allman Brothers Band - Beginnings
    A CD with correct tracklist order The Allman Brothers Band - Beginnings
    And there are some folk who don't realize they have an auto-coupled...
    I vaguely recall a discussion way back, but can't find it - thoughts?

Anyway; Be nice to have "Auto-coupled" in Format drop-down to flag the fact.
  • ChampionJames over 8 years ago

swagski
    Be nice to have "Auto-coupled" in Format drop-down to flag the fact.

http://www.discogs.com/release/1401692
  • 1skinnylad over 8 years ago

I agree with both  swagski &  ChampionJames but understand the RSG to be quite clear about re-ordering these such releases to a 'normal' A, B, C, D order - RSG 12.2.3.
    Just a note about the release being auto-coupled in the release notes I would've thought would suffice like what I did here - Mahalia Jackson - The Great Mahalia Jackson.
    But for the more complex issues that  swagski presents, well perhaps it would be a good idea but how to check this against just scans when a subber has simply ordered the images in line with the A, B, C, D order? And if they don't include Matrix numbers that often give it away?
  • Staff 3.1k

nik over 8 years ago

The guidelines on this are quite new, they were discussed at http://www.discogs.com/help/forums/topic/216941

I would tend not to have "Auto-coupled" in Format drop-down, but I think it is ok for the free text field if it needs to be used to distinguish otherwise identical releases.

thanks  nik for the suggestion but what if the auto-coupled release is first in under an MR before any knowledge of other releases not being auto-coupled? Nice to know expanded usage capacity for the FTF though, thanks. So, is it OK to put "Gatefold, Auto-coupled" into the FTF then, because I have been guided to keep putting Gatefold into Release notes but other times see it is perfectly OK to have 'Gatefold' in the FTF (which I personally prefer)?
  • djindio over 8 years ago

1skinnylad
    but what if the auto-coupled release is first in under an MR before any knowledge of other releases not being auto-coupled?

In that case it should be added to the release notes.

ah, ok, thanks  djindio for explaining :-)
  • swagski over 8 years ago

Thanks nik, does this help? have I understood all the directives correctly?

Reality:
    Disc 1 A cat#xA & Matrix XA1 Listed tracks 1,2,3,
    Disc 1 D cat#xB & Matrix XB1 Listed tracks 10,11,12
    Disc 2 B cat#zA & Matrix ZA1 Listed tracks 4,5,6,
    Disc 2 C cat#zB & Matrix ZB1 Listed tracks 7,8,9,

Guidelines, example:
    Disc 1 A stays A cat#xA & A-side run-out Matrix XA1 Listed tracks 1,2,3,
    Disc 2 B stays B cat#zA & B-side run-out Matrix ZA1 Listed tracks 4,5,6,
    Disc 2 C stays C cat#zB & C-side run-out Matrix ZB1 Listed tracks 7,8,9,
    Disc 1 D stays D cat#xB & D-side run-out Matrix XB1 Listed tracks 10,11,12
    Follow disc label's 'side order', even if tracklist on sleeve doesn't agree
    "Auto-coupled" comment in Notes*.
    In FTF if it distinguishes from otherwise identical.

*(Mandatory if not entering any data in BAOI, as someone may later have a sequential? Knowing there are 2 discs doesn't help, hence my thought for a drop-down)
  • Staff 3.1k

nik over 8 years ago

Yes swagski that seems right!