• Internaut over 10 years ago

Internaut edited over 10 years ago
    Currently we have Keef (4) with ANV Keith McMillan (should be alias I guess?), + Keith McMillan (2) and Keith McMillan (3). The profiles are rather confusing.

According to this link: http://sandydenny.blogspot.com/2011/02/album-covers.html
    Keith McMillan (2) + (3) seems to be the same person. Or?

Edit; from the source above:

"The photographer for the Grassman cover was Keith ‘Keef’ MacMillan. A prolific designer of album covers for many artists including Black Sabbath and Rod Stewart, he moved into music videos in the 80s, collaborating with Kate Bush among others."

"He also went by the name of ‘Marcus Keef’ – a frequent source of confusion. The closest I’ve got to him in my researches is this interview on a Kate Bush fansite."

Also interesting: http://gaffa.org/reaching/iv79_mc.html

Based on the sources above it seems clear that Keef (4) + Keith McMillan (2) + Keith McMillan (3) is the same guy.

If so; what should be PAN? Keith "Keef" McMillan? Then all entries could be linked to the same PAN via various ANVs.
  • ChrisCrass over 10 years ago

Keef (4) is Marcus Keef!
    Volume 4 credit should not be there.

Keith McMillan (2) and Keith McMillan (3) are the same guy, I'd agree with that, just don't think Keef (4) is.

Keef = Marcus Keef = Keith McMillan. Seems pretty clear based on the links in the first post?

Internaut
    Keef = Marcus Keef = Keith McMillan.

But Marcus Keef doesn't equal Keith McMillan!

ChrisCrass
    But Marcus Keef doesn't equal Keith McMillan!

According to the links above it does (this is the most reliable source I have found regarding this guy):

Internaut
    "He also went by the name of ‘Marcus Keef’ – a frequent source of confusion."

Ahhh, After a bit of research they are the same person, Keith McMillan being his real name and Marcus Keef being an Alias.

ChrisCrass
    Keith McMillan being his real name and Marcus Keef being an Alias.

With PAN Keith "Keef" McMillan both Keef and Marcus Keef could be ANV of Keith "Keef" McMillan, or? Would be nice to have all the entries linked to the same PAN
  • marcelrecords over 10 years ago

Internaut
    Would be nice to have all the entries linked to the same PAN

Agree. As he mostly is credited as ''Keef'', it looks to me that Keef (4) should be the PAN. Would it be stretching the concept ''Artist Name Variation'' too much if entries credited to ''Keith McMillan'' are ANV'd to Keef (4)? With ''Marcus Keef'' there shouldn't be a problem to do just that. If all are ANV'd to Keef (4), we have them all on one page...
    Internaut
    With PAN Keith "Keef" McMillan both Keef and Marcus Keef could be ANV of Keith "Keef" McMillan, or?

That's possible too, but I doubt if there is even one release where that's a real credit, so that would be confusing and also not in line with:
    2.5.6. The Primary Artist Name should be the most relevant version of the Artists Name.

marcelrecords
    Would it be stretching the concept ''Artist Name Variation'' too much if entries credited to ''Keith McMillan'' are ANV'd to Keef (4)?

Seems like it yes.

Perhaps just have Keith McMillan -alias- Keef (4), with Marcus Keef as anv of Keef (4).

Internaut
    Perhaps just have Keith McMillan -alias- Keef (4), with Marcus Keef as anv of Keef (4).

That works.

^ Done.

Also cleaned up the involved entries.

He is supposed to have done over 1,000 covers. Only 42 in the Discogs database so far :-)