• sebfact over 5 years ago

PlayTime Records (US) is a legacy label name and should be "renamed" to Playtime Records (4).
    14 releases affected. Any objections?
  • uzumaki over 5 years ago

Yep, go ahead
  • syke over 5 years ago

total no-brainer. I took the liberty and simply did it. No need to discuss this

syke
    No need to discuss this

All edits affecting more than 3 entries must be discussed and approved before changing them. Your are walking on thin ice....
  • Eviltoastman over 5 years ago

sebfact
    All edits affecting more than 3 entries must be discussed and approved before changing them. Your are walking on thin ice....

The legacy label issue though has been given the nod. If it;s definitely a legacy label the I believe we're free to just fix them when we find them. It's nice to ask though.
  • syke over 5 years ago

sebfact

all merges affecting more than 3 releases. If the label is incorrect in itself, fixing it is not a forums discussion. Also, there have been hundreds of discussions on fixing those legacy labels. There was no other outcome possible. But if you feel like it, send nik a SR and let him decide
  • syke over 5 years ago

sebfact
    All edits affecting more than 3 entries must be discussed

and one more, you certainly don't have to ask on the forums if you fix multiple incorrect ANVs which should have been added to an alias profile. So that statement in itself is incorrect
  • tsivihcra over 5 years ago

sebfact
    All edits affecting more than 3 entries must be discussed and approved before changing them.

I've heard this before, and have even used it before in forum posts, but am unable to find that number in the Guidelines.
  • syke over 5 years ago

tsivihcra
    I've heard this before, and have even used it before in forum posts, but am unable to find that number in the Guidelines.

thats because it isnt there. Nik once answered (I Believe it was timetogo who asked) what he'd consider a mass merge. HIs answer was 3 or more

syke
    thats because it isnt there. Nik once answered (I Believe it was timetogo who asked) what he'd consider a mass merge. HIs answer was 3 or more

So then it's not totally set in stone. Each situation requires tact and understanding on all sides. Each user must ask themselves if there is a shadow of doubt in the edits they're making. If there is, they should ask the forums, even if it's less than 3 edits.

EDIT: In this case, there was no doubt, I might add.

14.1.2. If you want to do the same type of edit over many releases, post a message in the Adding & Updating forum stating your intentions. This will ensure your updates are acceptable before you do them, and may help you get votes faster. Link to the discussion on each of your edits, so other voters can read what is discussed.
    Edit: This guideline is obsolete for "no brainer" edits then, or what?
  • syke over 5 years ago

so you seriously want me to post a topic on the forums when I move 10 to 15 entries from "Muddy Waters" to "McKinley Morganfield" because they have the wrong PAN assigned? Because that is what this rule would suggest, and I sure as hell am not going to do this. Because, you know, I did just 12 of these fixes yesterday...

Merges are a different thing, but just for fixing crap?

but again, if you feel I did something wrong, file a SR and let nik decide. It really is that easy

tsivihcra
    EDIT: In this case, there was no doubt, I might add.

of course there wasn't, otherwise I wouldn't have done it (and I might add Adam, you know me long enough and you've replied in enough merge requests of mine to know that I play by those rules). Looks like sebfact is trying to get onto me, for whatever reason. All he now needs to do is to file a SR and see what happens. If I get banned for this, so be it. I don't see anything I've done wrong here.
  • KCJammer over 5 years ago

I have to side with syke on this. I've made many, many similar edits that have involved more than 3 entries. I'm trying to get some work done, not extend a simple task several days waiting for approval from the community before I proceed with the correction of clear and obvious errors. At some point, common sense has to prevail. And hey, if it turns out I screwed up, vote my edits accordingly.

Do the Guidelines specify how long we have to wait for approval from the community or how many votes of approval are needed to proceed with the edits?

syke
    of course there wasn't, otherwise I wouldn't have done it (and I might add Adam, you know me long enough and you've replied in enough merge requests of mine to know that I play by those rules).

Absolutely. Just for clarity, I'm not questioning the edits being discussed in this thread at all.

tsivihcra
    Just for clarity, I'm not questioning the edits
    Neither am I. I simply want to point out that there is a guideline and a ruling by Nik about mass edits to which, at least, I want to adhere to.

Eviltoastman
    The legacy label issue though has been given the nod. If it;s definitely a legacy label the I believe we're free to just fix them when we find them.
    That is new to me and I'd be interested to learn when this was approved by nik. The Guideline has to be amended then, at least wrt. legacy label names. It would largely facilitate things.
  • syke over 5 years ago

then file the SR and be done with it. then you'll have all the answers
  • Staff 3.1k

nik over 5 years ago

14.1.2. If you want to do the same type of edit over many releases, post a message in the Database forum stating your intentions. This will ensure your updates are acceptable before you do them, and may help you get votes faster. Link to the discussion on each of your edits, so other voters can read what is discussed.

http://www.discogs.com/help/submission-guidelines-updating-a-release.html#updating_release_data

These are guidelines.

If you feel the edit you are doing is a no-brainer, you are not required to notify anyone.

However, if you do do a mass edit, and don't discuss it / notify anyone, and it later turns out to be wrong or problematic, you may end up with a warning or even a sanction - especially if it is a reoccurring problem.

The guideline is about making sure you are handling the data correctly, it is not supposed to be adding a layer of bureaucracy. Due to that, I would like to keep it a guideline (not a rule), and i do not want to specify numbers, time duration etc.
  • boogaloo123 over 5 years ago

Here's another if anyone has the time...
    Playtime Records (UK)