• DevilDinosaur over 4 years ago

This is something that has been frustrating me for some time now. Releases that should usually appear in the 'Miscellaneous' section in a discography, such as promos, samplers, things that should be marked unofficial, etc, turn up in the 'Albums' section - even when they are not marked as 'Albums' - and sometimes appearing there all of a sudden when they weren't there before, without edits.

Examples:
    Michael Jackson - MJM Remixed albums (only because they should be marked 'Unofficial', not really misc) and the Promo/Samplers
    Prince - Music From The Motion Picture Girl 6 (marked as a Compilation, so I don't understand why it's in Albums), The Gold Experience (again, marked as Promo)
    The Artist (Formerly Known As Prince) - Emancipation (marked as Promo, and not Album), The Versace Experience - Prelude 2 Gold
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (just a mess anyway thanks to the concert download series) - CD Sampler, (not marked as Album, but Promo and Sampler), What Hits!? (Comp), Out In L.A. (Comp)
    Guns N' Roses - Sample Your Illusion (Promo and Sampler), On Tour Now (Promo and Sampler)
    Gorillaz - We Are The Dury - Interview CD (Promo)

And these are just the ones that I can remember from the top of my head, never mind the ones I find when I'm just randomly browsing.

I always thought that Samplers and Promos, if not marked as Albums, were sorted into Miscellaneous? Or has that changed? Even so, releases marked as Compilations are appearing as Albums, even when not listed as such. Is this a bug in the system? It's been driving my OCD insane lol.

Sorry rant over.
  • adrez over 4 years ago

The first thing to bear in mind is that the so-called Albums Section actually contains two types of release. It contains releases tagged as Albums and other releases deemed to be Full Length Releases (ie anything over 40+ minutes, not tagged as compilations, not tagged as Singles or EPs, etc). If a release meets that criteria, thats the correct section for it to go into. Its just that whoever designed the Artist Page decided to make things needlessly confusing by only referring to that section as the Albums Section, leading a lot of people to mistakenly believe that there should only be albums in it.

DevilDinosaur
    I always thought that Samplers and Promos, if not marked as Albums, were sorted into Miscellaneous? Or has that changed?

If they meet the criteria of a Full Length Release, they'll go in the Album (and other full length releases) Section. If not, they'll land in Misc.
  • TwinPowerForce over 4 years ago

DevilDinosaur
    Michael Jackson - MJM Remixed albums (only because they should be marked 'Unofficial', not really misc) and the Promo/Samplers

The remixed are not tagged Unofficial, if they were really unofficial and tagged as it, they would be put outside Album automatically and appear in Unofficial Albums
    The promo/samplers (I guess Michael Jackson - Radio Special & Michael Jackson - HIStory LIFEstyle Promo CD ?) are under albums because they have more than 7 tracks and/or last more than 40 minutes (not 100% sure about the numbers, but there is a question about the number of tracks and the duration of the record that makes appear misc. into album section)

DevilDinosaur
    Prince - Girl 6 - Music From The Motion Picture (marked as a Compilation, so I don't understand why it's in Albums)

Various - Girl 6 Original Soundtrack is tagged as album, Various - Music From The Motion Picture Girl 6 isn't tagged at all, if in a Master Release 98 versions got compilation and only one doesn't have, it automatically goes in Album format (and it sucks because of many users who copy to draft from CD to vinyl without updating the format)
    DevilDinosaur
    The Gold Experience (again, marked as Promo)

this is a promo version of the album, not a sampler, it should be in the same MR (as it is)

DevilDinosaur
    What Hits!? (Comp)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - What Hits!? (promo sampler) was wrongly added in the same MR (RSG §16.2.1), I removed it and now Red Hot Chili Peppers - What Hits!? correctly appears in compilations

the other are probably for same reasons (one version lacks the Compilation tag in the MR, question of duration/number of tracks, samplers wrongly added to the same MR, ...)
  • DevilDinosaur over 4 years ago

Ah, OK. Thanks for explaining.