• Iceman107 over 4 years ago

Tried entering several items that were 'Promo Only' only to have it corrected because the selection I chose online was NOT a Promo Only version. I only meant to imply that the version that I have is a promo and not to change the entry I selected.

That being said, is there a way besides re-entering/cutting and pasting the information from the NON-Promo version to a totally new entry just for the sake of entering the 2 words 'Promo Only'? Everything else is exact except the embossed stamp of it being a Promo. Sure would be a time saver!

Thanks
  • MusicNutter over 4 years ago

A stamp alone, doesn't make a release Promo. Not sure if there are any exceptions regarding this tho (stamp)

Without going off on a tangent from the original question, I would like to view others thoughts on that matter as well. Tx MN.
  • Jayfive over 4 years ago

Jayfive edited over 4 years ago
    As above, if its the retail copy with something added to it like a stamp or sticker or promo hole cut out it is essentially the retail copy.

You dont need to add it again to discogs, you can sell your copy under the entry for the retail copy as long as you detail the sticker/stamp/hole punch in the notes that accompany the sale.

However do not just say "Promo copy" or "Promo version" as that will indicate to some that it is a different version and the item might be reported as not a unique release. Detail how the copy you have had been added to or altered.

If something indicating it is a promo it part of the artwork then it would be a new entry in discogs. And were you to add such a thing you dont need to add all the information in a new submission, you simply use the Copy to draft function

Unless, (there has been cases) where a cover is gold-stamped, but the CD is silkscreened promo/printed promo. But if it's just a random sticker, not a promo. Although, wasn't there a thread where if a release looks like a promo; we can tag it, if it was released as such.

So if the record LABEL is different with a let's say a WHITE Columbia promo copy vs Columbia's standard/commercial RED label, then THAT would be a case of being a 'new entry' as the so-called artwork of the LABEL is different?
  • rikroc over 4 years ago

I had issues with this guideline until it was explained:
    The difference isn't based on prominence, but on intent. If the release was manufactured as a retail, then pulled aside to be marked as a promo, it's a retail release.
    If it was manufactured to be a promo from the start, with a specially printed label/cover which denoted it as a Promo, then the Promo tag applies.

That makes sense.
    Tx crew.
  • Jayfive over 4 years ago

Iceman107
    So if the record LABEL is different with a let's say a WHITE Columbia promo copy vs Columbia's standard/commercial RED label, then THAT would be a case of being a 'new entry' as the so-called artwork of the LABEL is different?

Yes.

rikroc
    The difference isn't based on prominence, but on intent. If the release was manufactured as a retail, then pulled aside to be marked as a promo, it's a retail release.
    If it was manufactured to be a promo from the start, with a specially printed label/cover which denoted it as a Promo, then the Promo tag applies.

Beautifully put.
  • vivaldi55 over 4 years ago

I have Promos where the CD itself has printed on it "Promotional use only." It's not a sticker. To me, that kind of a CD should be added separately as a Promo copy. The easy way to make a separate Promo submission in Discogs is to go to the edit view of the retail submission on Discogs and choose "Copy to draft." Then change your draft to indicate Promo and submit it as a new submission. You might then need to add a master to link the retail and promo versions.

Good tip, tx Viv.
  • rikroc over 4 years ago

Jayfive
    Beautifully put.

Paraphrased from PabloPlato
    http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/407975
  • nutbarz over 4 years ago

vivaldi55
    I have Promos where the CD itself has printed on it "Promotional use only." It's not a sticker. To me, that kind of a CD should be added separately as a Promo copy.

I do as well, and I have made separate subs for them
  • TheTurtle over 4 years ago

vivaldi55
    I have Promos where the CD itself has printed on it "Promotional use only." It's not a sticker. To me, that kind of a CD should be added separately as a Promo copy

Sure. That also fits perfectly with the explanation from rikroc, these CD's were produced as promos from the start.

And some of them do have a pretty direct way of explaining, they are promos:
    http://www.discogs.com/Panzerchrist-Soul-Collector/release/6456893#images/16352798
  • Elukkae over 4 years ago

Elukkae edited over 4 years ago
    Iceman107
    is there a way besides re-entering/cutting and pasting the information from the NON-Promo version to a totally new entry just for the sake of entering the 2 words 'Promo Only'?

It seems this particular question has not been answered.
    If I understand correctly, you want to submit a new (promo) version of an existing release as a new entry? The method is copy-to-draft; pick the release closest to the one you have > click "edit release" > release history page opens, from the buttons there choose "copy to draft", and avoid clicking "edit" or "merge" buttons > a new draft os created ik your drafts folder (on top of the list) > choose that draft and edit it to match the info of your copy. Be careful to check the matrix / runout info, release notes, etc.
    As the former posts have stated, the "gold stamp" promos are not separate releases sonce they are just stamped retail versions. But if the labels say "promo only" then it's a new release.

Hilarious Claus! That was a GREAT example of a 'Promo Only'!
    You nailed it El, tx!

"gold stamp" promos are not separate releases sonce they are just stamped retail versions.

Unless the CD is also marked promo

Double post
  • Eviltoastman over 4 years ago

There are also some exclusions but they're exceptional cases and need to be discussed on a case by case basis. For example, I purchased a single which consisted of the retail record, in the retail sleeve. These were then bound in a custom 12.5" x 12.5" folder which housed the retail record, a full press kit about the release, a tour and the band. As some considerable effort had been made to make this retail copy a promotional tool which went beyond the usual gold stamping or an enclosed A4 photocopied sheet and so currently stands alone as it was of significant interest to collectors - this was after a thorough discussion with management's approval for submission. As a general rule, what Rikroc wrote is correct and very well put.

On the issue of things "being on the CD", please note there is a distinction between pressed with the promo info on it, and a retail copy which has had a heat transfer to the CD surface stating it is a promo. These have sometimes been mistaken for silkscreened promos, but it;s not quite right and they were not manufactured that way. We treat these the same as the gold stamped or barcode molested retail copies. They;ve just been altered after manufacture.

Basically if you think you have a case which is in a grey area, bring it to the forums with some images and we'll be happy to offer our opinion.

• PabloPlato over 4 years ago

nutbarz
    How do you know if it's a heat transfer?
    Any of these, All of These?

http://www.discogs.com/Cardigans-Emmerdale/release/2593651#images/16975280
    http://www.discogs.com/Cardigans-Emmerdale/release/2593651#images/16975282
    http://www.discogs.com/that-dog-Totally-Crushed-Out/release/6565485#images/16922484

silkscreened. these were diverted to a final screenprint during the manufacturing process, so valid promos.
    heat transfer would melt the disc.

Thanks PabloPlato

Does anyone have any Images of a Heat Transfer, would they ever be used on a CD?