• greg.bassman over 6 years ago

Hi everyone. Hoped I could pick your brains for a moment please.

I've recently had the Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB turntable passed down to me by a cousin of mine (he's recently ungraded). Just find myself shopping for a pair of speakers now. What speakers complement the LP120 best?

I listen to a lot of hip hop and Big Beat- so a lot bass heavy stuff! lol

(As I'm sure many of you already know) The LP120 come with an internal pre amp, so no need for amps etc- just a good pair of (powered) speakers, so I can simply attach them to the turntable and start listening.

My maximum budget is £250 ($370).

I'm only in a small room, so I don't think anything more than 5 inch woofers are necessary- unless you think otherwise (in which case, feel free to say).

All feedback appreciated! (preferably based on personal use/experience). Many thanks. Greg.
  • progcode over 6 years ago

progcode edited over 6 years ago
    My real feedback is that I think you will love that turntable. I love mine. I have a pair of Altec Lansing ACS 5 powered computer speakers I bought in approximately 1996 that can still fill a small room nicely with beautiful powerful sound. My point being, you probably won't go wrong with whatever powered speakers you choose, if it is a small room. I use a Pioneer SX-3700 with two Polk Audio Monitor 5 speakers, and Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones. I also use that turntable to record over its USB output to my computer so I can make CD listening copies of my vinyl.

Fantastic, thank you progcode! Can't wait to get down to some listening now lol ;)

Any other Audio Technica users out there- feel free to drop some feedback :)
  • tsivihcra over 6 years ago

For My Audio Tecnica I use the Sony SS-B1000 bookshelf speakers and they rock my world. Keep in mind that I am not an "audiophile".
  • rodneyfool over 6 years ago

A pair of MBL 101 X-treme should suit you well.

Cheers Adambassador. Lol rodneyfool, when I've got that kind of money I might consider- right now, my budget is £250 though ;)
  • jrsyshur over 5 years ago

I actually have some what of the same question. I just updated from a briefcase turntable from Urban Outfitters to a audio technica at lp120. I am way new to this but, totally excited about it. I read somewhere that you shouldn't hook this up to a surround sound and to look for what appears to be bookshelf type speakers? I was wondering if someone could take a look at this link and tell me if they would work. The link is http://www.polkaudio.com/owm3/d/1023
    Any feedback would be awesome!